Home-Made Jerky? (Idea Sharing)

Agent_Mothman

Space Marshal
Aug 8, 2014
RSI Handle
CubCadet1972
Results:
So the Honey Whiskey was, in my opinion, a bad choice, it retained more alcohol flavor than I anticipated and the honey content used to try and balance the flavor created a sort of candy coating. While initially sweet and balanced the bite of the Whiskey quickly takes over making larger pieces a bit to much, so I cut everything into tiny pieces.
View attachment 10971
This comprised roughly half the meat used.

The attempted teriyaki bore similar results with a rather over-bearing flavor, as well as notable salt content due to co-use of soy in an equal amount to the teriyaki. Personally I find it to be a better outcome but still cut it up to mitigate things.
View attachment 10972
Some pieces weren't quite done of course due to my shitty thick hand cuts. Thankfully these batches being basically opposites allows me to eat a sweet/bitter H.Whiskey bit and then a Teriyaki, so it's not a total screw-up.

TL;DR: Marginal success, polar opposite batches, 7/10 may try again.
Don't give up, and don't be afraid to experiment.

My favorite ingredients: Worcester sauce, Lemon juice, Sriracha sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, fresh ground black pepper, cumin, coriander seed, Cayenne pepper. I sometimes use store brand steak sauce (generic A1 sauce) also.

Xenorak

Grand Admiral
Jul 12, 2016
RSI Handle
Xenorak
Don't give up, and don't be afraid to experiment.

My favorite ingredients: Worcester sauce, Lemon juice, Sriracha sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, fresh ground black pepper, cumin, coriander seed, Cayenne pepper. I sometimes use store brand steak sauce (generic A1 sauce) also.
I previously had tried using black pepper, do you rub the various seasonings into the meat prior to marinade or right before drying? I did the latter, but have heard of people doing the former.

Agent_Mothman

Space Marshal
Aug 8, 2014
RSI Handle
CubCadet1972
I previously had tried using black pepper, do you rub the various seasonings into the meat prior to marinade or right before drying? I did the latter, but have heard of people doing the former.
I don't bother rubbing, I add all the flavorings into the marinade, and I let it marinate for 24 hours. I put the marinade, and meat into a large ziploc bag, and them remove as much air as possible. the bag then goes in a bowl, and into the fridge. I turn the bag after 12 hours. I don't dry the meat before putting it in the dehydrator.

Forgot your password?