Home security systems

smeggy

Space Marshal
Aug 28, 2015
RSI Handle
sm3ggy
So, I'm actively looking into getting a home security system, something with some cameras, door/windows open detectors, and maybe glass break detectors.

Reason? My house recently got broken into right after I left for work. All they got was stuff that can be replaced, nothing too sentimental.
The big ones that hit me: my main camera body and primary lens, a mid-2009 MacBook pro that I got while in college but was broken (idiotic SATA cable design on those), and for some odd reason the throttle from my x56.
I consider myself lucky since they did try to steal my desktop, monitor, and TV but failed since the monitor and TV are mounted and the desktop is kinda big (full tower cube case).

I was looking at the SimpliSafe system as a neighbor suggested it and I do like the semi-modularity of it. A friend loves their Arlo system, but it is a bit much for me.
I'm very budget minded right now, but safety is in mind.

side note, sadly won't be playing much SC (just as I was getting back into it) for a while since missing a throttle (WTF)

Reactions: Bruttle and Sraika

smeggy

Space Marshal
Aug 28, 2015
RSI Handle
sm3ggy
Well, I wound up getting a basic 3-cam Arlo system. Costco had one and met what I wanted for right now.

Reactions: Bruttle and Deroth

MurderingPsycho

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 10, 2018
RSI Handle
Zombie_Bait
I have three Arlos, a Ring door bell and a bunch on Samsung Smartthings stuff. I don't think there are glass sensors for it but there are a lot of options for door/window sensors. Pretty much anything that uses zwave or zigbee will connect to it. I'd also recommend a shotgun, just in case your home the next time it happens.

smeggy

Space Marshal
Aug 28, 2015
RSI Handle
sm3ggy
So, after talking with a couple friends and looking around town I picked up an Arlo Pro2 set.
Got the cameras all setup, and fixed a pad locked door.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
I have three Arlos, a Ring door bell and a bunch on Samsung Smartthings stuff. I don't think there are glass sensors for it but there are a lot of options for door/window sensors. Pretty much anything that uses zwave or zigbee will connect to it. I'd also recommend a shotgun, just in case your home the next time it happens.
Shotguns do too much collateral damage for home defense, I recommend an handgun or AR-15.
Plus, many countries and municipalities have ordinances that make shotguns more problematic for home defense than handguns and small caliber rifles like AR-15s.

Reactions: Bruttle

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
Sorry, this is going to be a bit of a read but I have some experience in this area. So here we go.

There are five major points when it comes to security. The first and vastly most important is deterrence. This one thing alone will eliminate the majority of the issue. Place signs on every window and door that clearly states there is a security system. Next, post up a very clearly visible sign that states the premises are monitored by camera. By visible, I mean it is the first thing you notice when walking up to your home. This will take care of 99% of anyone scoping out your house. Your house doesn't need to be burglar proof, just more burglar proof than your neighbors. Criminals are notoriously lazy. They will always pick the easy target.

The second is to get an audible alarm. It doesn't have to be a monitored system either. It just needs a panel and some sensors. Talk to any police officer and ask how many times they've heard of a burglar that continues into the house with an alarm going off. Chances are, they will say none. That's because burglars HATE noise.

The third is light. My house is lit 24/7, both inside and out. It seems overly simple, but it works. Plus, with LED technology getting super cheap, it's not that expensive. This plays into the other major issue that criminals have. They hate being seen. This also goes back to the first thing, more specifically cameras. Keep the place lit at night and make sure they know they're on camera.

The fourth is to make sure you're not inadvertently making yourself look like a juicy target. Most burglars will scope a place out before breaking in (which is why the first point is so effective). They almost never choose their victims at random. Sometimes it's the pizza guy peeking around the door while you sign a receipt. Sometimes it's the magazine sales person that notices you don't have an alarm installed. Sometimes, it's even a friend's acquaintance you had over that one time. Regardless of who it is though, they will make their choice based on perceived reward vs the risk of getting caught. So don't look like a payday.

This also means no signs that indicate you have a gun in your house. Guns are a really easy paycheck for criminals. If you're home, that sign will work. But they wouldn't be breaking in anyway if you are at home. If you're away though, that sign means there's an easy few hundred dollars at a pawn shop. That's because there are four main things that are an immediate payout for a burglar, laptops, jewelry, tools, and guns. Everything else is chump change. This trumps the previous three rules. If the burglar knows there is a few thousand dollars worth of these items, the first three things won't necessarily work.

The fifth is to get either renters insurance or make sure your homeowner policy covers burglary. When I was renting, it was $10 a month and had a $500 deductible. Hopefully, you're never need to use it. If you do though, it can be a lifesaver.

There many other points, but they're fairly simple things. Make sure you lock the deadbolt every time (the latch is basically useless). Make sure you don't have any hiding spots, like high bushes around windows and doors or any secluded access points that can't be readily seen from a neighbor's house or the street. Don't leave windows open while you're away. Don't let mail build up. Don't leave your blinds open where criminals can see inside the house (and see your valuables), etc.

The biggest problem is that you will never see the need for this stuff until something happens. Then you will wish that you had invested in these things. If you do invest before something happens, you will always see it as an unnecessary expense. ... because you're not getting broken into. If something does happen though, the biggest casualty isn't your stolen stuff. That sucks for sure.

The biggest loss is your sense of security while you are at home. That's the part that takes the longest to get back. That sense of unease is also what security companies thrive on. They will try to sell you some really unreasonable things because they know people will go to extreme lengths to get that feeling of security back. My best advice, is to make a solid plan for securing your home and budget it out.

I hope this helps.

TLDR:
  1. Place signs for cameras and alarm systems (you don't actually need the systems for this to work).
  2. Get an alarm with a keypad (doesn't need to be monitored to work, just need that alarm to go off).
  3. Make sure you're well lit at night both in and out.
  4. Don't allow people to scope out your stuff.
  5. Get renter's insurance.

Last edited:

smeggy

Space Marshal
Aug 28, 2015
RSI Handle
sm3ggy
@Bruttle , thank you for all the suggestions. I am working at getting those all done.

1. Installed cameras that record and have a couple signs. Placed the signs by the doors.
2. Will work on getting an alarm that works with my camera system, so it will go off if it notices something.
3. I have started doing that. I have motion sensitive flood lights that were already installed on the house. I have also started leaving lights on and a stereo going while I'm gone. The issue is, it happened in the mid-morning.
4. I already take this rule to heart, we don't allow people into our house unless we know them or they are good friends of a good friend.
5. Already have homeowner's insurance.

Reactions: Deroth and Bruttle

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Get yourself a dog. Does not guarantee they stay away, but they may look for a better target unless they are targeting you specifically.

Finally, guns are only useful after they break in and only if you are home. In some states, you can even be charged with a crime if you shoot at a person who breaks into your home. You may not be found guilty, but you could be forced to spend years to clear your name. You might also be sued by the person you shot (if wounded) or their families (if killed). These laws vary by state, but many of the more populated states are also those with these type of laws. Find out what kind of laws your state has and remember, it’s just stuff.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I'm a fan of the pressure switch under the carpet and claymore in the drywall method.
I love that! I own the claymore too. Designing security systems is a kind of hobby for me, something I wanted at one point to turn into a business but as luck would have it, that never materialized... but it flourished as a hobby.

A few years ago, I designed a system, as a joke for a friend who was right into home automation. It used passive sensors to detect a door or window opening, and in the floor sensors to detect where the intruder was. It then launched a drone to investigate and threaten the intruder with bad jokes, to ensure he was looking toward the sound. While it was doing that, a camera on the drone, and hidden cameras in the room would take pictures of the intruder. A raspberry PI in the attic then sent the pictures to the owner's cell phone instead of the police or security agency. "Sometimes you don't want to just automatically tell the police."

It was just a design, like on paper... the idea has a lot of problems, mostly surrounding the drone and the jokes... it would have been very loud.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
@Bruttle pretty much wrote everything you need to know.

I would just add, there are a couple of types of thieves, ranging from the bored teens home for the summer all the way up to the pro's. The pro's will only go after soft targets. I'm not sure the bored teens/juvenile delinquents will be deterred by things like signs, since the kids are stupid, but an audible, LOUD alarm would probably scare them off.

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
I would just add, there are a couple of types of thieves, ranging from the bored teens home for the summer all the way up to the pro's. The pro's will only go after soft targets. I'm not sure the bored teens/juvenile delinquents will be deterred by things like signs, since the kids are stupid, but an audible, LOUD alarm would probably scare them off.
This is a very good point. I have cameras, signage, alarm systems, etc. I have a daughter. So I may be a bit protective... That said, I still get kids pulling the "ding dong ditch" right on camera. I've also had amazon packages stolen from my porch, the whole time on camera. In fact, they didn't even try to hide their face from the camera. Then there's crackheads. They don't care about anything, even getting caught.

That's where your camera system helps. It may not always help deterrence, but it will always help the payoff. Insurance companies immediately stop arguing when video is present. Amazon, same thing. They either just send you another package or refund your money, no more questions asked.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
So, I'm actively looking into getting a home security system, something with some cameras, door/windows open detectors, and maybe glass break detectors.

Reason? My house recently got broken into right after I left for work. All they got was stuff that can be replaced, nothing too sentimental.
The big ones that hit me: my main camera body and primary lens, a mid-2009 MacBook pro that I got while in college but was broken (idiotic SATA cable design on those), and for some odd reason the throttle from my x56.
I consider myself lucky since they did try to steal my desktop, monitor, and TV but failed since the monitor and TV are mounted and the desktop is kinda big (full tower cube case).

I was looking at the SimpliSafe system as a neighbor suggested it and I do like the semi-modularity of it. A friend loves their Arlo system, but it is a bit much for me.
I'm very budget minded right now, but safety is in mind.

side note, sadly won't be playing much SC (just as I was getting back into it) for a while since missing a throttle (WTF)
Sorry for your home. It sucks. Hope you can get the insurance to pay and see you in the verse soon!

I dread the day this will happen to me.
Not because of the items, but because of the feeling that I'm not in control of my own space anymore.

Sorry, this is going to be a bit of a read but I have some experience in this area. So here we go.

There are five major points when it comes to security. The first and vastly most important is deterrence. This one thing alone will eliminate the majority of the issue. Place signs on every window and door that clearly states there is a security system. Next, post up a very clearly visible sign that states the premises are monitored by camera. By visible, I mean it is the first thing you notice when walking up to your home. This will take care of 99% of anyone scoping out your house. Your house doesn't need to be burglar proof, just more burglar proof than your neighbors. Criminals are notoriously lazy. They will always pick the easy target.

The second is to get an audible alarm. It doesn't have to be a monitored system either. It just needs a panel and some sensors. Talk to any police officer and ask how many times they've heard of a burglar that continues into the house with an alarm going off. Chances are, they will say none. That's because burglars HATE noise.

The third is light. My house is lit 24/7, both inside and out. It seems overly simple, but it works. Plus, with LED technology getting super cheap, it's not that expensive. This plays into the other major issue that criminals have. They hate being seen. This also goes back to the first thing, more specifically cameras. Keep the place lit at night and make sure they know they're on camera.

The fourth is to make sure you're not inadvertently making yourself look like a juicy target. Most burglars will scope a place out before breaking in (which is why the first point is so effective). They almost never choose their victims at random. Sometimes it's the pizza guy peeking around the door while you sign a receipt. Sometimes it's the magazine sales person that notices you don't have an alarm installed. Sometimes, it's even a friend's acquaintance you had over that one time. Regardless of who it is though, they will make their choice based on perceived reward vs the risk of getting caught. So don't look like a payday.

This also means no signs that indicate you have a gun in your house. Guns are a really easy paycheck for criminals. If you're home, that sign will work. But they wouldn't be breaking in anyway if you are at home. If you're away though, that sign means there's an easy few hundred dollars at a pawn shop. That's because there are four main things that are an immediate payout for a burglar, laptops, jewelry, tools, and guns. Everything else is chump change. This trumps the previous three rules. If the burglar knows there is a few thousand dollars worth of these items, the first three things won't necessarily work.

The fifth is to get either renters insurance or make sure your homeowner policy covers burglary. When I was renting, it was $10 a month and had a $500 deductible. Hopefully, you're never need to use it. If you do though, it can be a lifesaver.

There many other points, but they're fairly simple things. Make sure you lock the deadbolt every time (the latch is basically useless). Make sure you don't have any hiding spots, like high bushes around windows and doors or any secluded access points that can't be readily seen from a neighbor's house or the street. Don't leave windows open while you're away. Don't let mail build up. Don't leave your blinds open where criminals can see inside the house (and see your valuables), etc.

The biggest problem is that you will never see the need for this stuff until something happens. Then you will wish that you had invested in these things. If you do invest before something happens, you will always see it as an unnecessary expense. ... because you're not getting broken into. If something does happen though, the biggest casualty isn't your stolen stuff. That sucks for sure.

The biggest loss is your sense of security while you are at home. That's the part that takes the longest to get back. That sense of unease is also what security companies thrive on. They will try to sell you some really unreasonable things because they know people will go to extreme lengths to get that feeling of security back. My best advice, is to make a solid plan for securing your home and budget it out.

I hope this helps.

TLDR:
  1. Place signs for cameras and alarm systems (you don't actually need the systems for this to work).
  2. Get an alarm with a keypad (doesn't need to be monitored to work, just need that alarm to go off).
  3. Make sure you're well lit at night both in and out.
  4. Don't allow people to scope out your stuff.
  5. Get renter's insurance.
Thanks for this, great advice!

The same basic principles are the ons I follow with our cars. Both my car mechanic friend and the cops told me this:
- make it seem like more trouble to steal then it is worth, especially good tactic if there are same make+models around the neighborhood close by. If you have stickers for transmission locks and such, put them on the windows. It won't stop every thief, but it will deter a lot
- common sense sruff: if parking on the street, park in a well-lit spot. If there is a building that has cameras pointed at the street, it might also help
- have multiple types of preventative devices. Both mechanical and digital. Mechanical stuff like steering wheel bars and such are great deterrents against your avarage opportunists, while having a hidden electronic lock (like a device tied to your phone via Bluetooth, and with no connection the car won't start) will baffle those who come "prepared" with tools that can break steel, but they will most likely abandon the car if they can't start it after that.
- At least around here, there two types of car thieves. Ones that can pinch modern cars in seconds using faked electronic keys, and those who can break a trans lock and steering lock with their little finger, and can start the car with the end of a spoon. They are the more common and "specialize" in older cars. It's very rare that someone can do both fast and effectively, and contrary to popular media, 99% of them only works alone
- more security devices is better. Not more expensive ,but simply more. It's rather inconvenient to you, but it's even worse for the thief. The more time it takes to cut through, hack through and such, the less likely that the thief will bother.

Sadly just like with house break ins, the point of all this is to make them do it to a neighbor, and not you. But of course if someone really really badly wants to take specifically your car, they will. Even if you encase it in a block of concrete, someone will bring a crane and take it.
Anyways, stay safe all!

Reactions: Vavrik and Deroth

Kiladyn

Vice Admiral
Dec 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Kiladyn
People have made some very good points in this thread. I work in the security field and am going into law enforcement. Noise is a huge deterrence as people have said. I have seen people who belong in the area they are going freak out and walk away because of an alarm. As people have said most criminals are lazy and will scope the area out but there are also crimes of opportunity. I have seen places broke into because someone saw someone leaving their house and they forgot to lock the door. Common sense is huge, where who someone rather steal from; a house that looks like it has no security or one that even just has a sign or sticker of security in use. While I am avid owner of weaponry of all times, I dont use it for home defense. A gun, in my opinion should be kept in a safe. Although even having the sound of a shotgun racking can scare the shit out of people.

I am truly sorry for you and am very happy that everything that was taken was replaceable because your life is not. (I know you said you werent home but still)

If there is anything else we can do please let us know

P.S. - Just taking the throttle is a dick move during a dick move.

smeggy

Space Marshal
Aug 28, 2015
RSI Handle
sm3ggy
@Kiladyn , I completely agree. I actually had a the chance to get a 9mm pistol and/or an AR15 that was all setup, for a decent price. The reason why I didn't get it? I still had young kids living with me at the time and I would never want to risk it since I didn't have a safe. The other reason is my medical history, firearms in the house and severe depression at times do not mix well.

My current security camera base doesn't have a siren, but I will be upgrading that part in the future for one that does.

I believe that whoever did it, was scoping out the neighborhood for a while. The reason I think that, not 5 minutes after I left for work they went into my driveway and knocked on the front door (neighbor across the street cameras caught the car but couldn't see the people due to distance and trees). With my job I always have to leave the house by the same time and get back after a certain time Monday through Friday (office job).
They did find a weak spot by my lower level garage (raised ranch style house), but I have since then corrected the weakness and have gone over all entry points while strengthening them as needed.

The security cameras I put up should hopefully help deter any more attempts, but never know. But now I will have footage if it happens again.

And with the the throttle part. They crawled under my desk to get it done as the cable was ziptied under it to keep it up out of the way. The ziptie mount is still there, but not the ziptie.
I do have an old x52 non-pro sitting around but I couldn't get used to not having all the switches my X56 had/has. Welp, time to look at black Friday for deals

MurderingPsycho

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 10, 2018
RSI Handle
Zombie_Bait
My current security camera base doesn't have a siren, but I will be upgrading that part in the future for one that does.
Are you sure about that? The product page for the arlo pro 2 says it does and my arlo pro, which should be the same base, has it. I tied it into the smartthings stuff so if a window or the garage door opens when its armed, the siren goes off (still looking for a good solution for the doors).

Reactions: Deroth
Forgot your password?