Home security systems

smeggy

Space Marshal
Aug 28, 2015
RSI Handle
sm3ggy
@MurderingPsycho, yup. The option is greyed out. I have the 300 or 3000 series base, little round one. The next up has the siren. Luckily the base stations are pretty cheap and easy to swap out.
I'm looking for door solutions too, and thinking the garage unit as well as a doorbell but one of the cameras is already hidden by the front door by the lights

MurderingPsycho

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 10, 2018
RSI Handle
Zombie_Bait
@MurderingPsycho, yup. The option is greyed out. I have the 300 or 3000 series base, little round one. The next up has the siren. Luckily the base stations are pretty cheap and easy to swap out.
I'm looking for door solutions too, and thinking the garage unit as well as a doorbell but one of the cameras is already hidden by the front door by the lights
I have the one that opens the garage door for you but you could just put a cheaper tilt sensor on it too.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
People have made some very good points in this thread. I work in the security field and am going into law enforcement. Noise is a huge deterrence as people have said. I have seen people who belong in the area they are going freak out and walk away because of an alarm. As people have said most criminals are lazy and will scope the area out but there are also crimes of opportunity. I have seen places broke into because someone saw someone leaving their house and they forgot to lock the door. Common sense is huge, where who someone rather steal from; a house that looks like it has no security or one that even just has a sign or sticker of security in use. While I am avid owner of weaponry of all times, I dont use it for home defense. A gun, in my opinion should be kept in a safe. Although even having the sound of a shotgun racking can scare the shit out of people.

I am truly sorry for you and am very happy that everything that was taken was replaceable because your life is not. (I know you said you werent home but still)

If there is anything else we can do please let us know

P.S. - Just taking the throttle is a dick move during a dick move.
Hey good luck! I put myself through college working in industrial security. Had no interest in police work, but I have 2 uncles and 3 cousins who were in the RCMP, and one who's in the state police in NY. My wife has an uncle who just retired as a city police chief in Southern Texas. All good people.

Reactions: Bambooza

smeggy

Space Marshal
Aug 28, 2015
RSI Handle
sm3ggy
Any reason is a good reason to start/finish a case. Specially if it is of a nice strong stout.

Also been looking at garage controllers that I can link up and have access to multiple ones. I have two garages on my property, house and workshop. And would be nice if I could just use my phone to open/close them. Was also thinking of doing some DIY IOT light controllers in my workshop, if I can get my wifi to cover there.....
More APs it is.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Any reason is a good reason to start/finish a case. Specially if it is of a nice strong stout.

Also been looking at garage controllers that I can link up and have access to multiple ones. I have two garages on my property, house and workshop. And would be nice if I could just use my phone to open/close them. Was also thinking of doing some DIY IOT light controllers in my workshop, if I can get my wifi to cover there.....
More APs it is.

Such a slippery slope. Once you start linking thinks up you'll find yourself like me wondering if I can do proximity open of my garage door so as I drive home and get close the door automatically opens and I don't have to wait for it.

Reactions: Lorddarthvik

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Such a slippery slope. Once you start linking thinks up you'll find yourself like me wondering if I can do proximity open of my garage door so as I drive home and get close the door automatically opens and I don't have to wait for it.
That's quiet convenient, but poses the threat of someone slipping in while you are still farther away down the road. Depends on distance I guess. If you are close enough that the remote works just fine, it kinda loses its point though, isn't it?

smeggy

Space Marshal
Aug 28, 2015
RSI Handle
sm3ggy
Very true, I believe a lot of them go off of gps signal and networks. One friend has a setup like that, I'd have to check his exact hardware.

Reactions: Bambooza and Deroth
Forgot your password?