How do to download 3D mesh of Star Citizen ships from holoviewer

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
If a ship model is available in the holoviewer, you can grab the model.

This is off Reddit, dont ask me how to do it, I can't even tie my shoelaces.

Go to holoviewer
Look at web-sourcecode and search for "ctm"
Finde "model_3d: '/media/z8jid7tacmes7r/source/ANVIL-Hornet-F7C3.ctm'
Download the file by adding "https://robertsspaceindustries.com" before '/media...'.
Convert ctm file to a file format your renderer is able to read, eg use meshlab (http://meshlab.sourceforge.net)

Designated Drunk

Space Marshal
Feb 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Designated_Drunk
Sweet, been wondering how to extract the meshes - would really like a 3D print of my Avenger.

Egriz

Grand Pooh-Bear
Donor
Jan 25, 2014
RSI Handle
Egriz

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
Would this be viable for 3D printing?
They would work for 3d printing, but the models are in no way optimized for that so I would expect to run into problems if you don't have some kind of software that can convert it to a more appropriate detail level.

CitizenDad

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 3, 2014
RSI Handle
SlvmL0rd
Thanks for reminding me that I need to get on that Portland 3D Printer initiative. Going to be doing some cool TEST stuffs with 3D Printing stay tuned. $$$$$$$ Also, I have a little bit of experience with the cheap (Sub $100K) 3D Printers and TBH the results are not that great if you want to do anything other than make some janky looking mock-ups. I always suggest finding the guys in your area who have the nice big awesome 3D Printers and paying them a fair amount of money to handle the Printing part. My results have been pleasant in the Architecture game.

honcho12

Space Marshal
Oct 12, 2014
RSI Handle
honcho12
Thanks for reminding me that I need to get on that Portland 3D Printer initiative. Going to be doing some cool TEST stuffs with 3D Printing stay tuned. $$$$$$$ Also, I have a little bit of experience with the cheap (Sub $100K) 3D Printers and TBH the results are not that great if you want to do anything other than make some janky looking mock-ups. I always suggest finding the guys in your area who have the nice big awesome 3D Printers and paying them a fair amount of money to handle the Printing part. My results have been pleasant in the Architecture game.
Reprap can hold some reasonable tolerances, I had some bearing blocks printed and the bearings pressed in real nice. Nothing like laser sintering, but great results for a $500 printer.

Krystal LeChuck

Meme Meister
Staff member
Officer
Jun 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Krystal
I you guys need STL files from those models for 3D printing just IM me. I can make them for you.

NeoHelios_SC

Vice Admiral
Apr 18, 2015
RSI Handle
NeoHelios_SC
Regarding 3D printing... May I bounce a few questions off you guys & gals?

Do any of you have personal experience / thoughts / feelings regarding the Kosel Delta?
(specifically the <$500 version)
Example:
http://reprap.org/wiki/Kossel

Being mechanically inclined, I would prefer to assemble the printer myself. Any bits of "I wish I knew that before I started" wisdom on assembly?

Thank you!!

ANARCKOS

Vice Admiral
Oct 19, 2014
RSI Handle
ANARCKOS
/media/h23gran7882ykr/source/XIAN-Karthu-Al2.ctm

thank you so much for this Montoya! now I am only missiing the sc human model. This solution might be a bit too hard for me ;)

edit:
I found the human 3d model inside the holoview file for the 890jump. its somewhere there inside, you have to cut or use x-ray

Last edited:

Metal-Muffin

Space Marshal
Aug 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Metal-Muffin
Does anyone know if it's possible to make the holoviewer a stand-alone application? Asking for an idea I have. My last programing experience was BASIC on the Apple IIe.

Forgot your password?