how to become a turret gunner

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Since weapon capacitor implementation, we see turrets as more powerful than ever. There’s never been such a need for good turret gunners. So the question naturally arises, “what have we been doing to train players as turret gunners?”

This is a fascinating read:

https://www.airspacemag.com/military-aviation/how-become-ball-turret-gunner-180954667/?fbclid=IwAR3zBSpOcLlSLDO3vN9rBo8KzF-BbeyfhNqGio5f8YLvSWDO4ZJXj2mymcs

In history, “The six-week training course combined classwork in ballistics, range estimation, aircraft recognition, and Morse code with shooting practice.” One can guess why these things would make a gunner more effective. These skill requirements remain with us today except craft recognition, range determination and Morse. In particular, if a trained turret gunner can inform the pilot what kind of shot is incoming, this can greatly effect the choice of combat tactics by the pilot. (Projectiles mean fly evasive and wait for your opponent to run out of ammo. Repeaters mean fly evasive and wait for your opponent to run out of capacitor. Laser cannons means he's using slow shot, so turn when he fires, but don't expect him to run out of capacitor. Laser scatterguns means stay outside 400m and refuse to joust.) A trained turret gunner is therefore a hefty advantage in a fight.

It’s also not surprising the hesitance to actually train. People don’t like to work to obtain a skill. They’ve gone to fascinating lengths to avoid training as turret gunners.

“Few AT-6 pilots enjoyed chauffeuring the novice gunners. When guns jammed, instead of landing to swap out the weapon, some pilots ordered their back-seaters to simply jettison ammunition to avoid a prolonged flight, while still giving the student credit for firing the rounds. Once, recalls Dale VanBlair, a former Harlingen student, someone from his barracks experienced an airborne gun jam. “ ‘Throw it over the side,’ ordered his pilot, meaning just the ammunition. But the knucklehead heaved both,” he says.”

I’m curious. 3.14 is with us several months now. Has anyone here gone out specifically to train as a turret gunner or pilot to train someone else? Who has the patience to provide friends with training opportunities?

Dirtbag_Leader

Admiral
Nov 27, 2020
RSI Handle
Dirtbag_Leader
Oh absolutely, but then again this has been an exciting draw for me all along for SC. Way back in 1999, you could hack Xwing Alliance Multiplayer to allow for one player to fly and one player to be in the turret of the Corellian ships, and although it kinda sucked, I thought that was just the coolest thing in the world. Fast forward 15 years, and the next-closest thing came in the form of having a wingmate able to control your ship-launched fighter drones in Elite. And then finally, SC came along, and I bought a Connie so as to be able to have three people together on one ship, one flying, one manning a turret, and one flying the snub, and I STILL think that's about the coolest thing you can do in this game! So yes my siblings and I have been working pretty hard to utilize the current buff to turrets this patch, and loving it!

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
“ ‘Throw it over the side,’ ordered his pilot, meaning just the ammunition. But the knucklehead heaved both,” he says.”
Sounds like a great movie scene waiting to be written...

Fascinating read, thanks!

Reactions: Shadow Reaper

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Needed to do my hammerhead mission for the bounty hunters guild. Got blown up on my todd in me lil vanguard.

Asked my mate in and he hopped in my hercules C2 - cargo be damned! One dead hammerhead! Turns out 2 x S5 Lighstrike and 2 x S4 Rhino repeaters do a good little number on larger ships!

Scape

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 2, 2019
RSI Handle
Scape_TEST
Title -
"how to become a turret gunner"

What i read -
"how to be director gunner"

:o7:Apart from my lazy mind its an interesting read

Reactions: Bambooza

NoizeMaker

Commander
Aug 9, 2021
RSI Handle
NoizeMaker
I don't have a ton of time right now to invest in the game outside of work hours (Mountain Standard Time), but when I do, I'd be happy to invite folks on the Carrack to train.

I'd also love to train as a turret gunner too if it helps the crew. Can't hurt to learn!

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
I can see the turret gunner needing to tell the pilot to roll the ship to keep her guns on target

keeping track of when the turret is facing forward or aft relative to the ship's direction of travel will be a challenge

if the top turret gunner on my Freelancer is facing forward and her target is dropping off to her right she needs to tell me to roll clockwise

if she is facing aft and her target is dropping off to the right she needs to tell me to roll counter-clockwise

it's going to take a lot of trial and error to work out a consistent communication protocol for that

NoizeMaker

Commander
Aug 9, 2021
RSI Handle
NoizeMaker
There's almost certainly some relatively simple command structures we can formalize. I've been doing some digging into this with my father (USAF vet) and aerial gunners had calls and authority for specific yaw/roll behaviors based on target priority & mission objectives. Pitch control from a gunner probably won't be necessary unless they're a nose or tail gunner.

Personally, I think a ship command structure will be necessary for this to work. We'll need predefined commands, clear terms of target prioritization (and authority structure on who makes those determinations).

If it were me, I'd keep it as simple as possible. Orientation between pilot and gunner will change during a battle, so terms like Fore, Aft, Bow/Stern, Port/Starboard, Belly/Keel, Ceiling (?), etc. are probably necessary. Some examples that come to mind:

(Side gunner) - Enemy afar crossing from Ceiling to Belly directly on Starboard side: "Soft Roll to Starboard"
(Side gunner) - Enemy near shifting backwards across the port side: "Hard Yaw to Port"
(Nose/topside gunner) - Enemy near crossing the Bow from mid-Ceiling to Port Keel: "Soft Drop, Hard Roll to Port"
(Belly gunner) - Enemy near shifting from belly amidships to bow port-side: "Hard Climb, Soft Roll to Starboard"

• o7
Reactions: maynard
Forgot your password?