How to open a private chat channel within Star Citizen

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
Dear TESTies,

I have to face the danger of being smacked again by Montoya - but I have to ask you this:

How do I open a private chat channel within Star Citizen??

Here's what I know so far:

- I can open the contact list with F11 i.e. for creating a party (orange arrow)
- to set up a party does not influence - afaik - the possibility to open a private chat channel

- to open a private chat channel I have to (yellow box)
  • click of the small white "up-arrows"
  • open a private channel by clicking the "bubble" aside of the "+"
  • click on the now appeared "private channel"
  • add party members
- the last point is that one I don't understand. In my understanding, I should - if I'm not wrong at this point - type in the name of the member I want to invite to the private chat channel. In this case I choosed "Liftboy", as you can see in the screenshot. But when I'm now pressing the "enter"/"return" button on my keyboard, it happens - nothing. I can either click on my RSI handle or the little star aside of that or anywhere else; nothing happens.
What am I doing wrong here...?

Many thanks in advance for your advice!
Cheers
Sam

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
Warmest thanks you LOVElies ;)

Never had to use this function. As far as I know, it is not implemented yet.
However, I will ask around and check this out.

Great question.

If Montoya smacks you, I will shoot him in the face. Won't be the first time. Ha. HA.
Yes it is indeed implemented! And everyone seems to know about except from me! :eek:
(Well, almost everyone - obviously :D)

Yesterday some of the guys I was flying with showed that it works. You can invite several people into the private chat thus no one else can read your info exchange. That is pretty sweet stuff! But - I wasn't able to send an invitation to a private channel. The guys were very patient and explained it via main channel chat again and again and again.....but I wasn't able to open a private channel, respectively: to create a private channel, as the screenshot shows, but not to invite anyone to it.

Hopefully, that at TEST anyone can help me out with this :oops:

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
A guy of my other community (sorry TEST - you currently are more in shitposting, it seems ;) ) has posted this faq:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/faq/chat-faq
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/faq/chat-faq
Thus I tried again, using this faq - but again couldn't invite anyone. I filmed a small vid to show you what I mean:
So, watching this: what am I doing wrong? What have I missed? Suggestions anyone?
(Sidenote: even if not shown in the vid, also clicking and typing names into the grey box above my RSI handle does not work)

Reactions: marcsand2

fiarce

Space Marshal
Jul 19, 2016
RSI Handle
fiarce
Shit posting, Best posting?
Seriously though, I have the same issues and decided it wasn't worth the effort for my needs currently. When the in voice communication gets done, then things would be different.

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
Well, for sure it depends on the style you are playing currently. For me, most of the time I'm in the verse with a bunch of other guys, playing and filming..´.wait, that sounds kind of "saucy", right? Erm...:D You know what I mean! Seriously, I'm often in the verse, thus playing SC on a solo basis is - currently - extremely boring. Hence I'm always looking for people for some multiplayer-related "actions". This can mean storming and holding Kareah; but in the meantime also GrimHex, which is a little bit more complex. Or doing ICC missions with a couple of ships (multicrew + wingmen). Or stuff like forming two groups, dogfighting against each other; pvp in a farer or even peaceful exploration around Yela + landing missions on asteroids etc. pp.
Doing all that stuff, it is offen not target-aiming to use the main chat (and as some of you already know, I can't use TS or discord due to health issues). In one case because the enemy then knows what you are planning to do - or vice versa - in other cases because other players can't chat anymore because of those text tsunamies in the chat.

Hence, doing MP action/operations within the verse, it is of great interest for me to be able to use a private chat box. And perhaps, in future it could be also of interest for you :)

fiarce

Space Marshal
Jul 19, 2016
RSI Handle
fiarce
Thank you for taking the time to add the details. I completely understand the importance now. I would think with the Org 2.0 stuff and chat system and in-game voice, this should hopefully be far much easier and useful in the future.
Now as for the "playing and filming" with a bunch of other guys...well, no judgement here. ;)

Hayase

Grand Admiral
Jul 26, 2015
RSI Handle
Hayasee
Mmmmm, maybe use discord Sam :D. Bunch of testies to pick. Oh before i forget, dont pick Cosmic he will shoot you on your back in Kareah (ask Montoya for more info on the subject) LOL

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader
i ask cosmic about this a few days ago.im just gonna wait for him to explain me the detail :D
HA! I've found out the missing link, erm, detail :D I will tell you this tomorrow for now its bedtime over here.
I tried tonight and it did not work for me.
Looking forward to hearing you explanation of this function.

MzHartz

Vice Admiral
May 24, 2015
RSI Handle
MzHartz
I'm curious about this too. I don't really need it, but I've seen other people get invited to a private chat, so I want to know how to do it. Because knowledge is power. ;)

MzHartz

Vice Admiral
May 24, 2015
RSI Handle
MzHartz
I FIGURED IT OUT!!!!!

I read through the FAQ a bit more closely....
You open the arrow above the chat window to make the private channel.
The private channel with be under an arrow in the top right of the chat window.
But if you look, there is also an arrow to the left side (not on top) of the chat window. When you click that, you get your contacts list.
It looks like the person you want to add to the private chat has to be in your contacts list. Right click on their name and Invite to Channel.

RememberMe

Space Marshal
Mar 27, 2016
RSI Handle
ImRememberMe
I FIGURED IT OUT!!!!!

I read through the FAQ a bit more closely....
You open the arrow above the chat window to make the private channel.
The private channel with be under an arrow in the top right of the chat window.
But if you look, there is also an arrow to the left side (not on top) of the chat window. When you click that, you get your contacts list.
It looks like the person you want to add to the private chat has to be in your contacts list. Right click on their name and Invite to Channel.
make a video about it

Forgot your password?