How will we defend player bases when we're away?

Raven_King

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jan 17, 2021
RSI Handle
Raven_King
It may be several years until we get the ability to build or own bases, with our own or a friend's Pioneer or in some other way, and with enough of the resource management system they talked about at CitizenCon to make it feel real. But I like the idea of it in abstract.

I just watched a video BoredGamer posted a week or so ago (before CitizenCon 2952), on the topic of what's planned for persistent player hangers, habs and bases. It got me thinking.

The point of building a base is presumably to have a place to call home, where you can store some of your useful stuff and resources, and also as a 'resource farming' facility (mining, agriculture, research or whatever process that generates income or resources). The idea seems to be that we will be able to choose to build a hab or a base pretty much anywhere flat enough. We might build it in UEE controlled space, and benefit from some protection, which presumably has an upkeep cost - a tax - that the usefulness of the base makes justifiable. Or we can choose to build it on a planet or moon outside UEE protection, and set up our own defenses. You'd probably want some defenses of your own in both cases, as a fast raid might be over before UEE security can be alerted and respond.

However... how much protection would you need around your base to disincentivize other players from a.) raiding it to steal your resources, b.) just blowing it up for fun or to deny those resources to you, or c.) both?

I think it's a LOT!

Your typical player has easy access to cheap, effective man-portable weaponry. Rail guns. Grenade launchers. Sniper rifles. All very cheap in game. Players do bunker missions and can get good at avoiding, disabling, or otherwise defeating a base's defensive systems. And we have ships with lots of big guns all over them, some with air-to-ground bombs. Players are supposed to be GOOD at defeating these sorts of things - and it's supposed to be fun!

For this reason, have difficulty picturing a player base that can't very easily be blown to bits or raided successfully by your average player. It would have to be some kind of fortress in comparison to current bunkers for that to be much of a challenge to even a fairly low-level solo player.

Then we need to consider the rewards for an opposing player who succeeds in destroying or raiding your base. What do they get to take from you, or deny you? You might have been thinking of storing a significant portion of your resources at your base/hab. But one way to avoid being attacked is for the meta behavior to be that players store so little in the way of valuable resources at their bases that there's typically little point raiding or destroying one. You might keep all your loot there, and hope to go unnoticed, but if everyone does that, a base will be assumed to contain good loot. So the meta behavior of players might tend towards keeping relatively little in their bases, so that on average the reward for raiders is not worth the risk. But then, what's the point of spending all the time and money building - and defending - a hab or a base?

I don't think the answer is that we'll defend our bases ourselves, for two reasons. First, players are offline more than online. Second, there's a rich universe of things to do in SC, and it's getting richer all the time. Who would want to spend much of their time online defending their own base from potential attackers, who turn up infrequently but are in and out in a few minutes when they do? Not me. So it will be a rare thing to find a player at home in their base - they'll be deserted, or only guarded by NPCs the vast majority of the time. And if a player IS home, a would-be attacker can make a note of where the base is and when they saw it occupied and simply come back later. With friends.

My conclusion is that base building will only be worthwhile if players can be restrained in how much of their stuff they store in their base, to make it a less tempting target, and can also cheaply buy/build/install a LOT of highly effective defensive measures to protect it from aerial and ground raids. I haven't heard anyone talk about those defensive measures so far. Have you?

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
If i remember correctly (ofc things might change) the plan was
You set your base in a high security space and local NPC police/military will try to protect your ground -> low risk low reward, maybe additional high tax?

You set your base in a medium security space -> local NPC/military will protect your base but with longer reaction times (eg. More time till they approach) -> medium risk and medium reward, maybe additional low tax?

You set your base in a low/zero security space -> its up to you and your org. -> High risk high reward. Thats something for big multinational orgs to claim and defend

Also don't forget that there should be more advanced scanning/radar gameplay to detect approching enemys. This will most likely a super important role to defend Test 3.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
[RANT]
Eve Online developed a Sovereignty mechanic because the players demanded it

Eve's is not perfect but it's better than nothing

by putting in work and committing resources, an Org can make their space almost impregnable

only a concerted, sustained attack by another Org can challenge it

so Sovereignty holders are able to reap the benefits of 'owning' their space

if Chris Roberts waits to achieve perfection before releasing his version of a Sovereignty mechanic, as he wants to do with everything else, SC will fail

there are no epic stories around NPC missions

we need PVP and Org versus Org conflict to make SC compelling

and we need a Sovereignty mechanic to make that happen
[/RANT]

Last edited:

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I'm glad some others is thinking about these things too. As I own a Pioneer, it's been a little bit on my mind. I also own ships that are going to be hard to hide to defend, even with a base.
I have noticed that there is a fundamental design problem with the current bases you see in the 'Verse though. They're designed and laid out to be defeatable. If you build a base like that, good luck. Some of the bases we own are going to need to be defencable instead.

Like @Michael said, I think the location you're building on is going to have a big impact on the defencive requirements. Like if you want a place that's going to be used to store ships, loot, and such.... that's a much bigger problem than defennding a farm or mine - if you have a means to get your wares off the ground.

Think of castle layouts and how they lead to fort designs you see now. I'm not saying to build a castle, but thinking like the designers of castles. And I don't mean to say build a literal castle, but a fort that is easier to defend than attack. Part of the problem we face now is that we don't know what is going to be possible with tools that haven't been created yet. So theory crafting is just about all we can do at this point.

But as a general principle, I would say you don't need a large base to defend a farming operation or a mining operation. You'd be better off if you were prepared to remove your product, and take it to market as soon as possible. Also, even though players don't play 24/7, or even every day - there is still enough Test members that are in the game at almost all hours to have the possibility to mount a defence for someone. But right now I think that if there isn't a base on some land, it's just going to be mostly theft of raw materials - and that is something that is easily transferable into space.

That brings up another point - is it going to be necessary to have land based structures to defend? Is that going to be the best idea or is that just a luxury? We do have a lot of ships that duplicate the roles of even large bases, and you safe more money in fuel costs by staying in space so why bother with planets or moons? Places to raid is what that sounds like. But a self sustaining fleet of ships is movable, and not necessarily slowly. Something I've been trying to doo is to work out what you'd need to run a successful space based mining operation, it's all theorycraft right now too - but that is starting to change.

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
Entangled with this question is the effect of sharding on 'player owned' locations. The most likely course as expressed by CIG is that your base will exist on other shards, but as a non-destructible feature that others cannot access.

As to defending a place - the cost of doing so effectively will determine where they want this in the game. If I can fly in with an A1 or A2, or a flight of Gladiators and ruin your place in a couple of minutes, most players will probably not bother to build and it will be an org-only activity.

If I as a solo player can set up a spot that will keep a few other players from wrecking what I've built, then this will see a LOT more use in the game.

It should be work for both the defender to set up, as well as the attacker to overcome given similar time investment in gameplay.

RoosterRage

Captain
Donor
Jul 16, 2022
RSI Handle
RoosterRage
They talked about this a while back and said bases will not be interactable or destructible by other players when the owner is not online and on the same shard/server, there are several reasons for this but the main one was that even with server meshing the servers would not be able to handle the amount of items and npcs that would need to be spawned on a heavily populated planet at once, and there will also be multiple servers/shards and the homesteads must be visible on all shards/servers so that there are not 2 homesteads stacked in the same location. Imagine being online and someone on another server or shard attacks your base and you can't do anything because you cant see or interact with them.

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
[RANT]
Eve Online developed a Sovereignty mechanic because the players demanded it

Eve's is not perfect but it's better than nothing

by putting in work and committing resources, an Org can make their space almost impregnable

only a concerted, sustained attack by another Org can challenge it

so Sovereignty holders are able to reap the benefits of 'owning' their space

if Chris Roberts waits to achieve perfection before releasing his version of a Sovereignty mechanic, as he wants to do with everything else, SC will fail

there are no epic stories around NPC missions

we need PVP and Org versus Org conflict to make SC compelling

and we need a Sovereignty mechanic to make that happen
[/RANT]
Can't disagree in principle... I think some challenge like this should exist for orgs in SC. BUT I don't see it as a need. The number of people in EvE who engage in that level of activity was tiny, something like 5% of the playerbase for many years. The VAST majority never left hi-sec. Sovereignty was an attempt to convince more to engage in that type of content with the promise they would at least have a chance to defend their investment.

After playing the game for 10 years I had grown to despise EvE's de-facto requirement to be in a huge org in order to access any of the higher level content. It was definitely a dual-box minimum game.. one to sit in space in the carrier or dread or battleship or covops for org purposes, and at least one more to actually do anything else, like earn isk to pay for the ships that got blown up.

Not gonna lie.. the gigantic fleet battles created epic memories, especially in the early years.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Can't disagree in principle... I think some challenge like this should exist for orgs in SC. BUT I don't see it as a need. The number of people in EvE who engage in that level of activity was tiny, something like 5% of the playerbase for many years. The VAST majority never left hi-sec. Sovereignty was an attempt to convince more to engage in that type of content with the promise they would at least have a chance to defend their investment.

After playing the game for 10 years I had grown to despise EvE's de-facto requirement to be in a huge org in order to access any of the higher level content. It was definitely a dual-box minimum game.. one to sit in space in the carrier or dread or battleship or covops for org purposes, and at least one more to actually do anything else, like earn isk to pay for the ships that got blown up.

Not gonna lie.. the gigantic fleet battles created epic memories, especially in the early years.
The exact reason I stopped playing EVE. There was no way forward unless I joined one of the big three and made the game my actual 10hours minimum day job.
I do not want this in SC, and I don't see a need for it.
I hope the opposite will happen and as CiG stated, the player base will be such a small number compared to NPCs, we will never be able to overtake dozens of systems and deny everyone else to play in it, cos the NPC will make it impossible.

Back to the topic, it's a good question, I guess the "indestructible unless online and close" will be the solution. THen it's up to you, your org, and hired npcs to defend whats yours.

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
Well, just my 2 cents, I don't want your homestead or whatever you want to call it, to be impregnable at any time for reasons that dont involve direct player action. We'll figure it out when the time comes, I just don't want to see safe zone mechanics in the same way we have no fly zones and armistice zones. If you need security, stay in a high sec system. If you want security elsewhere, stay in a group and stay hidden. And yes, NPC's for the turrets you need to build.

CRISS9000

Space Marshal
Jul 13, 2016
RSI Handle
criss9000
A simpler form of sovereignty is just having military presence in large enough numbers to be able to maintain the org's presence in a given part of space. that is literally the one parameter that determines an org's ability to maintain a hold: numbers. you can have your flag on a rock, but if you don't have the numbers to defend the rock, that flag will get yoinked out.

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
Well, just my 2 cents, I don't want your homestead or whatever you want to call it, to be impregnable at any time for reasons that dont involve direct player action. We'll figure it out when the time comes, I just don't want to see safe zone mechanics in the same way we have no fly zones and armistice zones. If you need security, stay in a high sec system. If you want security elsewhere, stay in a group and stay hidden. And yes, NPC's for the turrets you need to build.
A simpler form of sovereignty is just having military presence in large enough numbers to be able to maintain the org's presence in a given part of space. that is literally the one parameter that determines an org's ability to maintain a hold: numbers. you can have your flag on a rock, but if you don't have the numbers to defend the rock, that flag will get yoinked out.
What @maynard was on about is a system to protect what you've built when you are not online playing. If you haven't played that content in EvE, sovereignty was a game mechanic that provided windows of vulnerability to player owned structures. The windows had to exist, but could be adjusted to the playtimes of the group owning the structure. It served game purposes in that the defender had an opportunity to gather defenders, and an attacker could know there was a time available to press an attack if desired. Since massive Fleet Battles were considered high level content, this was a working compromise.

Much better than logging in to find your POS gone with nothing more than a killmail to explain.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
What @maynard was on about is a system to protect what you've built when you are not online playing. If you haven't played that content in EvE, sovereignty was a game mechanic that provided windows of vulnerability to player owned structures. The windows had to exist, but could be adjusted to the playtimes of the group owning the structure. It served game purposes in that the defender had an opportunity to gather defenders, and an attacker could know there was a time available to press an attack if desired. Since massive Fleet Battles were considered high level content, this was a working compromise.

Much better than logging in to find your POS gone with nothing more than a killmail to explain.
this

without Sovereignty the situation devolves to 'time zone ping pong'

what the Euros build gets torn down after they log off by the East Coast Americans

who then have their shit destroyed by the West Coasters

and then the Asia-Pacific contingent, the Russians, and then it's the Euros' turn again

the idea that your stuff won't appear in somebody else's instance won't fly

that would mean the Universe isn't Persistent

AccidentProne8

Space Marshal
Apr 12, 2015
RSI Handle
accidentproneeight
Honestly, rather than cribbing from Eve, I think the best defense will be security through obscurity. By the time we're building bases, I doubt we'll be confined to Stanton. I think bases, outside of large orgs, will mostly be hidden affairs, which will be helped by the massive cave systems, river valleys, etc. Those that aren't, will be defended by automated turrets and NPCs. Who's to say that it won't be mixed use, in that you may build a base on the edge of a existing NPC settlement if you have good enough relationships with them and you blend in with the crowd.

I also think that Eve style control of system battles aren't necessarily the end-all be-all of late game content here - plenty of dynamic events going on right now, I think, foreshadow the plans. Given that players are effectively 10% of the universe in ideal plans, I think it'll be more about flashpoints (jumptown, possible abandoned Bengals) and gradual degradation (build up to Ninetails but org targets for a hypothetical) when it comes to influence.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
They could offer something up like the old SWG did.

You have the ability to make your base a PvP target and you get bonuses for successful defense. Winners get loot that is independent of what you have, but commensurate with the difficulty. So the more AA guns you put out, the more NPC guards you hire, the more shields you install, etc., the higher the reward the attacking players get. If they lose, they might lose the items they were carrying, or have their ships/vehicles commandeered and sold for scrap prices (they can claim them via the ASOP, etc.

If the owner loses, they need to pay resources, fees, etc., to rebuild, which also takes time (4-24 or more hours) , but not nearly the amount they initially put in. When their defenses are up and PvP enabled, they get bonuses to production of resources, etc. This could easily encourage people to actually put theirs as available for attack

GPcustoms

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 3, 2019
RSI Handle
GPcustom
I kind of think of it in terms of a F.O.B.
A quantum beacon accessible by the owner alone and it would be a challenge to discover a players location without some serious Pirate/P.I. work...
Stash does not have to be everything but lets face it there is so much bunker loot that it would be buldging from its sides......A bed....maybe a few RVs and Tonk sitting around could be a fun bit of entertainment to have friends over and sit back for a few virtual beers. :drunk:
If it gets raided then that's just the way it's got to be...I will just move and do it again :o7:

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
We don't need to defent our bases. Being in TEST is enough defence.

(Lord Montoya is glaring at those wouldbe trouble makers right now..)

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
A key question is: Will resources be 'stealable'. For example, in a very resource-collection-intensive player-run-base type of game, Shroud of the Avatar, nobody steals my harvested resources. They are fully protected within other items great at storage. I'm guessing that SOTA resources harvested by a players hard work will not be able to be pilfered, in final game release, given that resource harvesting will be a big deal for game play. But if they were to be 'stealabe', my hunch is that player-run stations will be 1) sensiitive to faction standing of an individual, meaning that if they have pirate designation they will be treated differently than someone with an honorable UEE standing, and 2) home to automated anti-aircraft and anti-personnel weaponry, not to speak of anti-personnel NPCs, that defend our home turf.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
A key question is: Will resources be 'stealable'. For example, in a very resource-collection-intensive player-run-base type of game, Shroud of the Avatar, nobody steals my harvested resources. They are fully protected within other items great at storage. I'm guessing that SOTA resources harvested by a players hard work will not be able to be pilfered, in final game release, given that resource harvesting will be a big deal for game play.
Don't bet on it.
But if they were to be 'stealabe', my hunch is that player-run stations will be 1) sensiitive to faction standing of an individual, meaning that if they have pirate designation they will be treated differently than someone with an honorable UEE standing, and 2) home to automated anti-aircraft and anti-personnel weaponry, not to speak of anti-personnel NPCs, that defend our home turf.
Closer to the mark here.

Forgot your password?