I am biting the merchantman bullet.

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
I have been doing a lot of thinking of late as to my role in the universe. I love freight, the by low and sell high aspect is something I love. And I want to do exploration. so I have decided to upgrade my terrapin to a caterpillar. and then upgrade it to a BMM when it comes out.

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
The BMM will hopefully be for sale in November. I am still somewhat bemused how the ship can have such a large carry capacity (for its listed dimensions), be actually useful in defending the Banu nation (thus also incorporating military hardware in the same space) and a trading floor as well, and be so cheap. (Okay price and spec wise will change but even so). Compared to the Caterpillar it has 8 times the load (that we know of) and the only downside seems to be crew requirement. It is even sort of streamlined and for me the only way this would work would be to bulk up the volume i.e. become a whale.

I am considering getting a CCU to it just on the off chance that it retains all that.

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
The BMM will hopefully be for sale in November. I am still somewhat bemused how the ship can have such a large carry capacity (for its listed dimensions), be actually useful in defending the Banu nation (thus also incorporating military hardware in the same space) and a trading floor as well, and be so cheap. (Okay price and spec wise will change but even so). Compared to the Caterpillar it has 8 times the load (that we know of) and the only downside seems to be crew requirement. It is even sort of streamlined and for me the only way this would work would be to bulk up the volume i.e. become a whale.

I am considering getting a CCU to it just on the off chance that it retains all that.
well, just to let you know that since I decided to get on the price will jump 100 dollars for the November sale right?

Reactions: Beerjerker

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
Do not worry if such a price jump does occur (and if its keep its spec and being alien too I think the jump will be higher when it happens) people will just blame CR for being greedy.

Floating Cloud

Space Marshal
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Floating_Cloud
Have you considered going for one of the hull series? The BMM is sexy, but I am not sure how much value there will be in its ability to act as a mobile shop. Raw cargo capacity might be a better buy.

Having said that, the goal is to enjoy the game, and being a roving trader does sound far more fun than just being a high profit trucker.

makute

Space Marshal
Jun 2, 2016
RSI Handle
VishMainha
I have been doing a lot of thinking of late as to my role in the universe. I love freight, the by low and sell high aspect is something I love. And I want to do exploration. so I have decided to upgrade my terrapin to a caterpillar. and then upgrade it to a BMM when it comes out.
You won't regret it, it's a beauty of a ship. I'd get one for myself if I weren't a RSI sucker :D

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
Have you considered going for one of the hull series? The BMM is sexy, but I am not sure how much value there will be in its ability to act as a mobile shop. Raw cargo capacity might be a better buy.

Having said that, the goal is to enjoy the game, and being a roving trader does sound far more fun than just being a high profit trucker.
Actually I am going to have a freight company, will end up with a hull B before live, and will probably upgrade my cat to a BMM

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker
I'm thinking about getting a Merchantman myself. Picked one up last anniversary, but melted it, and I'm not sure it has been available since. At the least, I may get a CCU to one and wait until more is revealed about it to apply the upgrade. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the original price of Caterpillar was $245 and MM was $250, so a CCU should only be $5(?).

Reactions: Thugari

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
I'm thinking about getting a Merchantman myself. Picked one up last anniversary, but melted it, and I'm not sure it has been available since. At the least, I may get a CCU to one and wait until more is revealed about it to apply the upgrade. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the original price of Caterpillar was $245 and MM was $250, so a CCU should only be $5(?).
that's what I am hoping for

Reactions: Beerjerker

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari

freight in SC will be more than just delivery missions pretty quick. After a couple of delivery missions you should be able to start buying commodity's and playing the market with your wares. that's where real money will be in freight, knowing where to buy and where to sell. imagine working your way up to a hull C or larger and being able to buy various commodities then traveling the verse with your wares to sell to npc's and players.

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
That's what I am planning on doing. I still want a BMM and a Herald. I know the Herald will be coming with 2.6, so I'm good on that. The BMM, however, is the unknown one. I missed the last anniversary sale and it hasn't been up for sale since. So I have been waiting a while. I want it for it's smuggling potential. It's supposed to be decent at blockade running so hopefully it will be good at smuggling.

Ripcord33

Grand Admiral
May 2, 2016
RSI Handle
Ripcord03
i dont get how something so big can be good at running blockades, generally you would think, small/fast ships would be better blockade runners

Sintha

Space Marshal
Sep 9, 2015
RSI Handle
Sintha
This would be a great time to say the the the hull c and bmm have similar load sizes with more to the c if you believe the spec page (you shouldnt).

But the bmm has so much more with intetesting design ideas. i must at least get the ccu from my hull c to the bmm so im with you.

Schmunkel

Space Marshal
Jul 2, 2014
RSI Handle
schmunkel
You could always go Freelancer first. I always thought of the Caterpillar as more of a raiding/boarding ship that also had some cargo room and not primarily a hauler. Perhaps it is because the front of it looks like a can opener to me that can pierce a hull and rip it open for the booty. I also think that the Freelancer is the largest ship you will be able to reasonably solo with at launch.

Lythan

Vice Admiral
Oct 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Lythan
The BMM is quite unique in comparison to other freighters/haulers. If you're setting up a company it may not be such a bad idea to have a BMM as "flagship". Do you intend to hire other players to fly your freighters through the universe?

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
The BMM is quite unique in comparison to other freighters/haulers. If you're setting up a company it may not be such a bad idea to have a BMM as "flagship". Do you intend to hire other players to fly your freighters through the universe?
Actually I plan to do that eventually. Hire some crew that I can trust to haul and sell cargo. which in this game will most likely end up just renting the freighter out in most cases. I will have to look at the profit margins to decide my actions completely. it would be too easy to hire a crew that would end up jacking their own load. very bad for profit.

Gearen

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Gearen
The BMM if it's on sale on the anniversary, it will be for it's current price. No price increase for it at least until it's on the ship pipeline. Don't worry about it

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
The BMM if it's on sale on the anniversary, it will be for it's current price. No price increase for it at least until it's on the ship pipeline. Don't worry about it
Awesome
errrr........ I mean Friar Thug approves this message.

Reactions: Gearen
Forgot your password?