I am now an official oracle of all things 3.0

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Has anyone ever said officially there will be a way to lockbreak, other than blowing up the door? same with ship access. Is there going to be a way to circumvent personal permissions and take command of ships without owner permission? Seems that would be less necessary for boarding, since the ship is active rather than on standby, etc. Has CIG ever said there will be a way to steal ships at port?

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Tell me oh Oracle, will there be a countermeasure to the countermeasure to the countermeasure of the anti lock device? Will we finally end up with a ship that is all door and no ship?
In my opinion, the ultimate deterrent to somebody infiltrating your ship against your wishes is the instant self destruct device. Thieves are greedy by nature & very little is available to be stolen that is worth their life. Especially if in destroying your own ship you can either steal theirs in the process or destroy theirs along with yours. Share the love, kill'em all. lols

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
In my opinion, the ultimate deterrent to somebody infiltrating your ship against your wishes is the instant self destruct device.
Chris Roberts has said more than once that UEE ships do not have a self destruct. Vanduul ships have a self destruct, but humans do not kill themselves willingly, and if you think you will blow up the ship to stop someone boarding it, you will be disappointed to find that is not an option. Then again, were it an option, CIG would not be able to deliver on their promise of ship boarding in game.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Chris Roberts has said more than once that UEE ships do not have a self destruct. Vanduul ships have a self destruct, but humans do not kill themselves willingly, and if you think you will blow up the ship to stop someone boarding it, you will be disappointed to find that is not an option. Then again, were it an option, CIG would not be able to deliver on their promise of ship boarding in game.
You make it sound like those that board ships do not deserve to face consequences for doing so. I think it would be fitting to be able to cause my ship to self destruct while jerks are boarding it. If possible it would blow after I would either escape via escape pod or evac out to hijack their ship & leave them on my ship that would be disabled until it would explode with them inside. I call that poetic justice.

Rear_Intruder

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 9, 2017
RSI Handle
Rear_Intruder
Has anyone ever said officially there will be a way to lockbreak, other than blowing up the door? same with ship access. Is there going to be a way to circumvent personal permissions and take command of ships without owner permission? Seems that would be less necessary for boarding, since the ship is active rather than on standby, etc. Has CIG ever said there will be a way to steal ships at port?
Shadow are you advocating a non-fun way to get in?

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Shadow are you advocating a non-fun way to get in?
I'm not. I have not thought much about stealing ships at port but someone here just noted the old proverb that locks are meant to be picked. It's true. Locks do not stop thieves, they just keep honest people honest. Real thieves will always find a way to pick the lock, break the lock, somehow sidestep or overcome the lock.

While I have no thief nor pirate in me, I would love to specialize in stealing from the thieves; and I confess I think it would be more immersive if we were all always worried about someone stealing our ships. If every time you parked your ride outside your hangar it was vulnerable, that would change the way people thought about leaving their ships. We'd all find reasons to hire NPC marine types to stand guard duty on any ship large enough to carry them, and we would hesitate to leave an expensive fighter without protection at GrimHex. Maybe it should be that way. I have not thought on it enough to say. I will note that CIG certainly will make stealing ships very, Very, VERY difficult, for they do not get paid every time one is stolen and then replaced by insurance. Every time a ship is stolen, there is a new ship in game that a player did not pay for.

OTOH, every time someone earns a ship in game, there is a ship CIG did not get paid for too. So they do need to pander if they are going to deliver on ship boarding.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I'm not. I have not thought much about stealing ships at port but someone here just noted the old proverb that locks are meant to be picked. It's true. Locks do not stop thieves, they just keep honest people honest. Real thieves will always find a way to pick the lock, break the lock, somehow sidestep or overcome the lock.

While I have no thief nor pirate in me, I would love to specialize in stealing from the thieves; and I confess I think it would be more immersive if we were all always worried about someone stealing our ships. If every time you parked your ride outside your hangar it was vulnerable, that would change the way people thought about leaving their ships. We'd all find reasons to hire NPC marine types to stand guard duty on any ship large enough to carry them, and we would hesitate to leave an expensive fighter without protection at GrimHex. Maybe it should be that way. I have not thought on it enough to say. I will note that CIG certainly will make stealing ships very, Very, VERY difficult, for they do not get paid every time one is stolen and then replaced by insurance. Every time a ship is stolen, there is a new ship in game that a player did not pay for.

OTOH, every time someone earns a ship in game, there is a ship CIG did not get paid for too. So they do need to pander if they are going to deliver on ship boarding.
Very well said.

Rear_Intruder

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 9, 2017
RSI Handle
Rear_Intruder

In fact I agree with you, I would hope to steal ships at some point in the game, especially if I play for 1000's of hours which is what I am hoping for. But It should be difficult.

Forgot your password?