I call it the ShitPit

BOX3R

Space Marshal
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
BOX3R
Are you serious? Damn.
Yeah man, everything is just dry fit right now, plus i have some angled pieces to put in to hold up tablet, side monitor. Then I have some cheap carbon fiber looking contact paper for the armrests. And small magnets to hold everything down. And there is a severe lack of cupholders.

So much manliness wasted drinking Zero Coke :rolleyes:
I assure you that fridge is filled with 90% alcoholic beverages (although it does desperately need a restock ...). Helps that the wife works for big red :)

Looks better then mine. The positioning of the chair would be deadly for me, I would fall asleep in it :D
I dozed off in it a few times before everything else was assembled.

I like that. What was the final cost and how long did it take to assemble?

Also are you going to draw up plans for the rest of us :) JK
The seat was $40 on craigslist. Probably $80 of PVC, mostly due to the non-standard 3 and 4-way joints I got from www.formufit.com. Because the PVC is not bearing any weight I went with 1" PVC, of which I had 10' lying around from a past project. It is a tad wobbly, and if it was supporting monitors or anything heavy I probably would have gone with something thicker. Its a very straight forward design, I built and rebuilt maybe 10 times before settling on this one. There are some pretty rad designs ones out there, but I personally enjoyed the journey of coming up with my own ... kind of like adult legos :) I will take some more detailed pics of the frame tomorrow.

I want to believe if the sitcom Home Improvement was on today Tim would have created the Man's Gaming Room and it would have something like this.
Hmmmmmm ... maybe I should change my handle from Boxer to Toolman ... I do still have my free RSI handle change ...

Last edited:

BOX3R

Space Marshal
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
BOX3R
did you wire up the heated seat to a 12v source so it can actually work? >.> please say yes
I plan on it, but still need to do more research, buy the right fuses, switches, and that whole pesky AC/DC thing. I was hoping to use a spare PC power supply. If you or anyone else is an electronics guru and can point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated!

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
I plan on it, but still need to do more research, buy the right fuses, switches, and that whole pesky AC/DC thing. I was hoping to use a spare PC power supply. If you or anyone else is an electronics guru and can point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated!
its not really my field but yeah you should be able to use a old psu and the proper fuses, or even a just a normal ac to dc brick with the right fuse inline

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
You need to check exactly how many watts the heated seat draws before you can size a PSU. I hazard a guess that it is quite a few watts - a PC PSU should work as long as you band together 2 or more black and 2 or more yellow feeds (+12v)

BOX3R

Space Marshal
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
BOX3R
Finally had a chance to work on the Pit again this past weekend. I played a few rounds of SC in it and feel comfortable enough with the design to keep it. I added a swing-out keyboard tray and used a few magnets to keep the keyboard in place while entering/exiting the pit.

I screwed instead of glued some of the key joints together for quick disassembly if needed. Got some carbon fiber looking contact paper and wrapped the armrests instead of painting. I like the black and white theme, fits my rig, so I'll leave the PVC unpainted for now as well.

I know, I know, the room is a mess ... but hey I had to make room for the projector screen :)

And, oh, what's this wrapped up in the seat pocket??? (plz ignore the dropped water bottle ty)

My galaxy map arrived just in time!

Taking my little turret gunner out for a test spin ... I have a feeling I'll be building a mini-pit soon ...

Lexicon

Captain
Aug 1, 2016
RSI Handle
Lexicon
[INSERT EPIC HERE]
If the PVC isn't load-bearing, what do you have the chair anchored to so it stays upright? Does it still recline? Do the heaters work? What are those arm cushions, where did you get them?

That setup is fucktastically gorgeous and I want to do that now. SHARE YOUR BLUEPRINTS, MAN OF CRAFT!

BOX3R

Space Marshal
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
BOX3R
If the PVC isn't load-bearing, what do you have the chair anchored to so it stays upright? Does it still recline? Do the heaters work? What are those arm cushions, where did you get them?

That setup is fucktastically gorgeous and I want to do that now. SHARE YOUR BLUEPRINTS, MAN OF CRAFT!
The seat is anchored to 2x4s that arr resting on the ground nested between the pvc. Full recline and sliding back and forth. I still haven't gotten the balls to hook up the heat yet.

And no blueprints! Iterating on the design was half the fun ... Like man-child sized Knex. Mine is very basic , I'm sure someone more creative could come up with something badass.

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
Finally had a chance to work on the Pit again this past weekend. I played a few rounds of SC in it and feel comfortable enough with the design to keep it. I added a swing-out keyboard tray and used a few magnets to keep the keyboard in place while entering/exiting the pit.

I screwed instead of glued some of the key joints together for quick disassembly if needed. Got some carbon fiber looking contact paper and wrapped the armrests instead of painting. I like the black and white theme, fits my rig, so I'll leave the PVC unpainted for now as well.

I know, I know, the room is a mess ... but hey I had to make room for the projector screen :)

And, oh, what's this wrapped up in the seat pocket??? (plz ignore the dropped water bottle ty)

My galaxy map arrived just in time!

Taking my little turret gunner out for a test spin ... I have a feeling I'll be building a mini-pit soon ...

Epic.

Reactions: marcsand2
Forgot your password?