I could do with some advice...

Which ship to get?

• Total voters

MikeAlphaTangoTango

Space Marshal
Oct 2, 2014
RSI Handle
MikeAlphaTangoTango
At the moment the only ship in my hangar is the almighty Aurora MR, but I can't help thinking it looks a tad lonely. I've recently read the plan for Operation Curveball (https://testsquadron.com/threads/operation-curveball.2113/) which gave me an idea; get an exploration ship! I'm a terrible dogfighter, so flying around scanning everything sounds like a much safer alternative.

And here's where I need the advice. I was thinking of getting either the Origin 315p ($65 standalone) or the Freelancer DUR ($125 standalone). I've thought up some pros and cons for each ship, and could do with a second opinion/recommendation cause I'm completely torn on this right now...

Origin 315p
  • Cheaper
  • Gotta go Fast!
  • Leather Seats
  • Smaller target?
  • Comes in Test colours
  • Low cargo space
  • Smaller range
Freelancer DUR
  • Much bigger cargo
  • Turrets
  • Better scanners
  • Longer range
  • Space for friends/beer kegs
  • Stealthy black paintjob
  • More of a target?
P.S. Is it worth getting another pledge or should I save money and get the standalone ship?

CrashMan054

Commander
Oct 23, 2014
RSI Handle
CrashMan054
I'd go with the freelancer, considering it has room for a couple of extra people. Who knows, if you encounter hostile aliens, that backup may be the difference between life or death. The extra crew could also help man guns, saving your brain from multitasking. Sure, it's more of a target, but it has more long term options vs. a single man fighter.

If you get a pledge, you get extra posters for your hangar. I'd just get the standalone if you already have a pledge.

And don't give up on dogfighting! I'm not good at it either, but that doesn't mean I'm going to quit! Practice, and you'll get better!

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Melt the MR, put it towards the DUR.

Reason: The larger cargo will allow you to earn money faster in the game. You can buy back that Aurora if you wanted within a few days of in-game earnings.

Dortz

Vice Admiral
Donor
Nov 4, 2014
RSI Handle
Dortz
I agree with the other responses. My first pledge was actually a DUR. I'd go with Montoya on this one, go ahead and melt the MR package and get the DUR package.

D3Mark

Grand Admiral
Sep 24, 2014
RSI Handle
D3Mark
Between the DUR and the 315? Idris. :) I voted DUR, Freelancer is always a solid pick.

SkippyLeDoo

Lame Title
Nov 16, 2013
RSI Handle
SkippyLeDoo
One thing about the Freelancer is that the fact that it has an interior you can walk around in adds to the overall feel of the ship (300 series doesn't count). I'd definitely go with that.

Texelis

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
Texelis
Ya Freelancer is the way to go, I'd love one. Is the MR LTI? Maybe CCU when you can.

Forgot your password?