I decided to upgrade my pc's cosmetics.

orac_zen

Space Marshal
Mar 16, 2016
RSI Handle
orak1
I gave my pc a theme in a Lian Li 011 Dynamic's case. Not sure how well this will work out in the end, but I used some vinyl wrap on inside the case, some spacex decals, a crew dragon 3d printed model, a tesla hot wheels, some rgb lights, and we have this. I do worry about the hotwheels and crew dragon models being a hazzard, I might remove them. What do y'all think? IMG_3351.jpgIMG_3353.jpgIMG_3355.jpgIMG_3351.jpgIMG_3353.jpgIMG_3355.jpg
IMG_3351.jpg

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
looks really cool! loving the 3d print and overall clean design!
I wouldn't worry about the models, the air temp should never get hot enough to melt the print or the car, and unless they fall into a fan, I don't see how they could pose any hazard. Even then, it's highly unlikely anything bad would happen. Maybe the cars metal body is a risk of shorting out something but as it's painted/lacquered, the threat is minimal to non-existent.
I'd worry more over the vinyl wraps and decals curling up from the heat and looking ugly lol

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Interesting build. The vinyl wrap idea is really clever as long as it's rated for whatever the heat inside the case at peak temps will reach. I'm slowly working to build a system for my GF & as she sometimes loves to let the RGB bling explode, I've been tempted to paint certain unseen areas of the inside of the case with ultra high gloss automotive paint to give those areas a mirror like shine to reflect the colors off them better while inside an otherwise black Lian Li TU 150 case. She's stoked to be able to take it to LAN party events (when those are allowed again) as well as to participate in the TEST Squadron hijinx as she's also a member here.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Interesting build. The vinyl wrap idea is really clever as long as it's rated for whatever the heat inside the case at peak temps will reach. I'm slowly working to build a system for my GF & as she sometimes loves to let the RGB bling explode, I've been tempted to paint certain unseen areas of the inside of the case with ultra high gloss automotive paint to give those areas a mirror like shine to reflect the colors off them better while inside an otherwise black Lian Li TU 150 case. She's stoked to be able to take it to LAN party events (when those are allowed again) as well as to participate in the TEST Squadron hijinx as she's also a member here.
Automotive paint sounds good, it should last. But it's a lot of hassle to get right.
If it's a smooth sheet of metal, maybe try some automotive wraps instead? Those should be able to handle the heat easily, should be easier to apply than a good quality gloss paintjob, and you can buy chrome and glossy colors as well as neon pink urban camo, or whatever suits your build.
If it's a rough painted metal and you want it smooth, then your only choice is sand-fill-prime-paint. Even good quality automotive vinyls won't properly stick to that kind of surface.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Automotive paint sounds good, it should last. But it's a lot of hassle to get right.
If it's a smooth sheet of metal, maybe try some automotive wraps instead? Those should be able to handle the heat easily, should be easier to apply than a good quality gloss paintjob, and you can buy chrome and glossy colors as well as neon pink urban camo, or whatever suits your build.
If it's a rough painted metal and you want it smooth, then your only choice is sand-fill-prime-paint. Even good quality automotive vinyls won't properly stick to that kind of surface.
Great ideas! My initial thought was to apply an aluminum foil layer with the shiny side out wherever it won't contact anything that could cause a short. Cheap mirrors for the win, right? ;p

Forgot your password?