I finished watching all 4 seasons of Star Wars Rebels last night!

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I was hesitant to begin this series, the animation style is very different from the Clone Wars series, I was not sure I would be into it.

The first season introduces you to all the characters, they are all new, nobody I recognized, but you quickly learn to like them.

This series takes place here in the timeline, before Rogue One:

It deals with the birth of the rebellion and follows the antics one small cell of rebels. This cell gradually finds out that there are other rebel cells and they start to increasingly band together to form what will eventually become the rebellion we see in Rogue One.

One important character they spend time on in the later seasons is Grand Admiral Thrawn. This guy deserves a movie of his own! He is probably my favorite villain after Maul.

Overall, I ended Season 4 very satisfied with learning more about the lore and it left me hungry for more.

To my surprise, Season 5 is about to begin next week! So that worked out just perfectly!

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Yeah, I loved the first three seasons, and Thrawn is also my favorite villain after Maul. I used to love to hate Agent Callous, but. . .

No spoilers. Season 4 is not in the library yet but should be soon.

HardcoreHall

Captain
Donor
Jan 19, 2018
RSI Handle
hardcorehall
I felt the same way about the animation, but Davi Filoni does such a great job in story telling that it grew on me. Easily one of the best Star Wars show out there. Highly recommend it to any people still holding off. I agree about Thrawn too, he is a great character and needs a large part in a live action movie.

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
They need to get Zachary Quinto to play Thrawn if they make a movie. Dude pulls off the "calm, but calculated" character really well as Spock in the newer Star Trek movies.

Obligatory Bennethickt Thumbersnatch suggestion...

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Also, Season 5?!? I thought 4 was the end of the series *excitement intensifies*
I went to double check, I can only find it mentioned on one fan site. Its possible that the information is not accurate.

I see no mention of Star Wars Rebels Season 5 anywhere else.

Sethious

Space Marshal
Staff member
Jan 1, 2014
RSI Handle
SethiousFel
It's coming, and will supposedly be more for the audiences that have since grown up.

Hybus

Space Marshal
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Hybus
I really enjoyed rebels. And the Thrawn series books were some of my favourite star wars EU material. If palps hadn't been such a racist douche, Thrawn would have probably won the galaxy for him, even without a death star. He wouldn't have needed it.

Reactions: Montoya

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
So for someone who doesn’t really *get* Star Wars, would this be a good starting point?
I think the best starting point is the live action movies watched in the order they were produced. Animated series then broadens out the universe. First thing is you identify with the world from seeing people in person.

While we're on it. I loved Solo, but I do not like what Disney decided to do with both the score and color palette. Obviously word came down from on high to mark both Rogue One and Solo out from the central series by using different music and cinematography, especially including the color palette. When Lucas wrote and filmed Star Wars, from the start the intention was to recapture the golden age of Hollywood, with its general adoption of classic camera angles shot from a boom, bright primary colors, and a classical full orchestra playing fabulous music. He was drawing from Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon, but they were both black and white TV and he was very careful to leave an imagine in the mind's eye more like Against All Flags than Flash Gordon, meaning lots of bright color.

Both Rogue One and Solo went the other way. The camera is a dark patina palette, the contrasts are poor, the color just isn't there, and the score is relatively uninspired. I watched Solo twice in two days and was struck from the first how impotent the score was. You gotta know that is NOT Ron Howard's fault. That was a dictate from on high at Disney.

C'est domage, for really I am for the first time ready to say someone f#cked up Star Wars. Disney should know better. Solo misses almost every comic beat for the sake of a less than franchise score. That should never happen. The comedy is certianly there, but we don't enjoy it as much because of the lackluster score.

Still a good movie, but not the great movie it should have been.

HardcoreHall

Captain
Donor
Jan 19, 2018
RSI Handle
hardcorehall
I really enjoyed Solo personally, and actually just watched it again last night. There were a few places where it fell flat or they made questionable decisions like the random officer giving him the last name of Solo, but there were more wins than anything. I understand the color palette changes personally but they set a different tone for sure.

For me though I really enjoyed the score and have listened to the soundtrack since release several times over. If you get a chance check out the Enfy's Nest theme.

Ploeperpengel

Space Marshal
Jun 17, 2018
RSI Handle
Sadis
If you're hungry for more Star Wars SWTOR is still up and running. With this referral http://www.swtor.com/r/w4PTyn you get 7 days subcriber status for a testrun. The gfx is old school and comic like but if you managed to watch clone wars you should be fine. The stories are nicely written! Well it's Bioware after all.

Forgot your password?