I need a help choosing desk and some ideas for battlestation

lex

Space Marshal
Jan 3, 2015
RSI Handle
rlex
Hello TEST!
I will be doing repairs in my room this summer. I planned everything except my battlestation. I spent fuckload of time searching for desks, and, sadly, 90% of them are only available in US and shipping them to me will be expensive. Really expensive.
I can order custom desk as well, but still, i need some draft to start from.
Here is what i want (approx):
upload_2016-2-29_1-35-21.png

Details about this setup: https://www.reddit.com/r/battlestations/comments/j4df7/clean_dualmonitor_desk/

Another nice example (i will put my TV same way, over my monitors, since my couch/bed will be in front of PC):
upload_2016-2-29_1-36-32.png

And here is what i found so far:

Possible monitor arm: https://www.humanscale.com/products/product.cfm?group=M2 - not only it's pretty expensive, but shipping will cost me almost same price. I will be happy for any cheaper alternatives.

Possible desk: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19022790/#/S49022798 - ok, this is close to what i'm looking for. Pretty big desk, adjustable, and (probably) with a nice finish.

I'm not going to buy this (because it's freaking expensive with shipping) but i find this desk absolutely great: http://www.evodesk.com/ - but this is "convertible" desk for both standing/sitting positions, and i do not need that feature. If only it can be sold without all those fancy mechanics... I can probably take it as "draft" desk and give it to local furniture manufacturer.

So ideally, desk should be:
1) Big. I need some room to place my work notebook, notepad, and a bottle of beer on it. Also there is hotas warthog, speakers (and they are big)
2) Be able to hold a lot of weight. That's hotas warthog (probably around 10kg?), Speakers (20kg total, don't ask me), two monitors with arms (another 10 kg i guess?) with possible expansion to three-monitor setup. So probably 50kg total.
3) Adjustable. I have some issues with my back and i need to sit properly.
4) No cross-section in lower part (because pedals)

Can you maybe suggest something? I will be happy for anything, even pictures with unknown/custom desks.

GeneticPredator

Space Marshal
Jan 13, 2016
RSI Handle
GeneticPredator
Ive seen some "gamers" that have big monitors or tv's ( like 3 "46 tv's) use kitchen tables from IKEA. They are quite large and should be able to carry some weight. Don't think they are as expensive as importing something from USA...

Just a thought...

GeneticPredator

Space Marshal
Jan 13, 2016
RSI Handle
GeneticPredator

This is a bit overkill... but this youtuber uses kitchen tables from IKEA as computer desks. You should be able to fit a lot of stuff on one of those. and they arent that expensive... so you could repaint or rebuild them as you please...

lex

Space Marshal
Jan 3, 2015
RSI Handle
rlex

This is a bit overkill... but this youtuber uses kitchen tables from IKEA as computer desks. You should be able to fit a lot of stuff on one of those. and they arent that expensive... so you could repaint or rebuild them as you please...
nah, this is TOO much.

Doggen

Space Marshal
Dec 9, 2015
RSI Handle
Doggen
I have the 'BEKANT' desk from Ikea. Its a nice sturdy desk with a decent finish. You cant really adjust it on your own though.
Was thinking of making a little plank that slides out from underneath it (i have no idea what those are called in English) it for my keyboard now that I have a HOTAS, that is the only thing thats missing imo.

Reactions: GeneticPredator

lex

Space Marshal
Jan 3, 2015
RSI Handle
rlex
I have the 'BEKANT' desk from Ikea. Its a nice sturdy desk with a decent finish. You cant really adjust it on your own though.
Was thinking of making a little plank that slides out from underneath it (i have no idea what those are called in English) it for my keyboard now that I have a HOTAS, that is the only thing thats missing imo.
oh, good! How much stuff (in kg/lbs) do you have on it? what do you mean by "cant really adjust it on your own" - too heavy to adjust by single person?
Overall, are you happy with it?

KingNerd

Admiral
Jul 14, 2015
RSI Handle
KingNerd
Lending out a hand to my fellow TESTies is always fun :) We are working on a big custom desk build with 3 monitors that wrap for an ultimate Eyefinity experience :) I've been buying my monitor mounts from these guys for years, they are way cheaper and amazingly sturdy. I've always had good stands for like $85 from these guys. I don't know about shipping outside the US but they are heavy so keep that in mind!

http://www.tykesupply.com/Triple_Monitor_Stands-Triple_Monitor_Stand_Free_Standing_Curved_Arm.html

Reactions: lex

lex

Space Marshal
Jan 3, 2015
RSI Handle
rlex
Lending out a hand to my fellow TESTies is always fun :) We are working on a big custom desk build with 3 monitors that wrap for an ultimate Eyefinity experience :) I've been buying my monitor mounts from these guys for years, they are way cheaper and amazingly sturdy. I've always had good stands for like $85 from these guys. I don't know about shipping outside the US but they are heavy so keep that in mind!

http://www.tykesupply.com/Triple_Monitor_Stands-Triple_Monitor_Stand_Free_Standing_Curved_Arm.html
That's a well-priced mounts, thank you.

Doggen

Space Marshal
Dec 9, 2015
RSI Handle
Doggen
First setup I adjusted the height myself when there was nothing on it so that kinda worked.
With stuff on it you have to have one person hold the other side. Or use really small steps adjusting the height. It doesnt have a click system or anything so getting it level is kinda a pain.

Its pretty sturdy, i only have 2 monitors, keyboard, mouse and hotas on it but Im pretty convinced I can stand on it too without any problems. (im 80 kilos)

lex

Space Marshal
Jan 3, 2015
RSI Handle
rlex
First setup I adjusted the height myself when there was nothing on it so that kinda worked.
With stuff on it you have to have one person hold the other side. Or use really small steps adjusting the height. It doesnt have a click system or anything so getting it level is kinda a pain.

Its pretty sturdy, i only have 2 monitors, keyboard, mouse and hotas on it but Im pretty convinced I can stand on it too without any problems. (im 80 kilos)
Good to know! Looks like bekant is the way to go for me.

Forgot your password?