I think E:D is gonna be better than SC

paqman

Captain
May 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Paqman
With AC out, we can now get a better idea of how the two match up. I understand that it is too early in development to decide which will be better, but if you have the opportunity to play both, post your thoughts!

ericman2001

Space Marshal
May 11, 2014
RSI Handle
Phlox_Lennelluc
With AC out, we can now get a better idea of how the two match up. I understand that it is too early in development to decide which will be better, but if you have the opportunity to play both, post your thoughts!
Ok! Quick thoughts based on a quick play of SC tonight and quite a bit more ED earlier.

Personally, I like the dog fighting in SC more than ED. I'm sure plenty of people out there are going to hate when I say this, but I like it more because ED clearly is the more hardcore of the two in this respect. I won't go so far as to say SC is an arcade fighter, but ED dogfights feel genuine.

Secondly, and probably pretty obviously from screenshots everyone has seen, SC has the better graphics. Way better.

Damage modeling in SC gives me goosebumps. I love it. But ED gives you a larger sense of danger. I noticed someone else mentioned this somewhere too, for what it's worth. In ED when my shields are down I fire up the super cruise and make like a tree. In SC I get the shields down warning all the time and the warning basically becomes a nuisance -- I just stop listening to it. That being said, I think I prefer the shield mechanics of SC over ED but I think there needs to be more of an incentive to keep the shields up.

I like the dog fighting area in SC more as well. It feels more "natural" and the "dedicated" (the whole game is PvP, but whatever) areas in ED feel more repetitive -- all the asteroids look alike.

Now, SC doesn't have this yet (I don't think. Please correct if I'm wrong), but I find docking in ED to be very enjoyable.

Finally balance: I suck at dog fighting. I'm just rubbish. ED is way harder for me and it takes a huge amount of time for me to take down a craft. In SC, the Vanduul craft go down like flies. I'd like a little more difficulty in SC and, depending on my mood, I kind of like the difficulty in ED. It took me a few tries to get the single player missions done but I feel if those same missions were in SC I could do it all in one go. Also, SC missiles are OP. They need a nerf. Seriously.

Overall I think I'll love trading in ED but not dog fighting as much and I'll have a blast blasting things in SC and we'll have to see about the other aspects.

I'm sure most of these will be tweaked over time though, so this post probably won't mean any thing by the next update. See you in the 'verse!

Helfix

Ensign
Jun 5, 2014
Well, I've been playing both games quite a bit now and I must say Elite beats out SC's combat by a lot. In Elite it actually feels like you are in control of your ship and flying it, there is a lot of feel to it, the sound is way better and the HUD is out of your way.

SC needs a lot of hammering out in its flight model and HUD. Hopefully with proper feedback it will be just as good as Elite's.

Other than that, I think SC will overall be better game if it is able to match Elite's feel of flying/flight mechanics. Because while Elite has 400 billion star systems and all that it will still feel empty compared to SC's hand crafted 100 systems. There will also be no support for organizations or owning your own stations/space.

Reactions: ericman2001

Corwin

Captain
Nov 4, 2013
RSI Handle
wolfpup118
If the Elite: Dangerous alpha and beta access wern't so expensive, I would have been playing it for a long time by now. That said, I don't see the need to compare the two so much. They are trying to do different things.

In terms of the funding differences affecting the games, the ONLY thing the funding difference between them means is that SC has more people, which means more people who feel the need to hate. The extra money SC has means the general forums are at deadly levels of toxicity that look only to bash it.

starkestrel

Space Marshal
Nov 3, 2013
RSI Handle
starkestrel
Finally balance: I suck at dog fighting. I'm just rubbish. ED is way harder for me and it takes a huge amount of time for me to take down a craft. In SC, the Vanduul craft go down like flies. I'd like a little more difficulty in SC and, depending on my mood, I kind of like the difficulty in ED. It took me a few tries to get the single player missions done but I feel if those same missions were in SC I could do it all in one go. Also, SC missiles are OP. They need a nerf. Seriously.
Are you finding SC easy if you're not using missiles? What's your control setup? Because I'm having a hell of a time taking out a single ship with m + k. I could be trying for 15 minutes or more and not be able to do it, because I can't maneuver my guns onto my target.

Barthanes

Admiral
Nov 10, 2013
RSI Handle
BarthanesGraves
On the subject of missiles. In reality missiles are fucking OP. Guns you have to aim, and bullets don't change course to hit their target. But a fucking missile moves faster than the speed of most small-arms, often carries an explosive warhead and fucking tracks targets better( at least air superiority missiles) than a normal human can. Yeah sounds like they got missiles down-to-pat. (yeah i know its a game but i love missiles)

BluChew

Captain
Jan 25, 2014
RSI Handle
OGKush
On the subject of missiles. In reality missiles are fucking OP. Guns you have to aim, and bullets don't change course to hit their target. But a fucking missile moves faster than the speed of most small-arms, often carries an explosive warhead and fucking tracks targets better( at least air superiority missiles) than a normal human can. Yeah sounds like they got missiles down-to-pat. (yeah i know its a game but i love missiles)
I'll second that. Missile are great but the limited capacity is whats killing me.

ericman2001

Space Marshal
May 11, 2014
RSI Handle
Phlox_Lennelluc
Are you finding SC easy if you're not using missiles? What's your control setup? Because I'm having a hell of a time taking out a single ship with m + k. I could be trying for 15 minutes or more and not be able to do it, because I can't maneuver my guns onto my target.
I won't say SC is a walk in the park and I don't think I'd classify it as "easy", but it's a lot easier than ED. I might say SC is "normal" difficulty and ED is "hard". I have had a few fights in SC take some time, but most of my fights in ED take a long time. My control setup is an XBox controller. I haven't tried to fly either game with M+K, so I can't really comment on how those controls work by comparison, sorry.

On the subject of missiles. In reality missiles are fucking OP.
Touché.

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
I hope missiles aren't (basically) one hit kills in multiplayer. Or maybe they will be, and there will be a nice "metagame" where EWAR ships might be able to disrupt missile locks and tracking, but replace their missile racks with ECM/Jammer pods, so they have to stick near friendlies.

*Shrug*I guess we'll see.

ericman2001

Space Marshal
May 11, 2014
RSI Handle
Phlox_Lennelluc
I hope missiles aren't (basically) one hit kills in multiplayer.
We do have countermeasures, so maybe they won't be? I've only seen the Vanduul and their terrible evasion of my missiles so I don't actually know how well countermeasures work which is where my criticism of the missiles comes from right now. After hearing Barthanes comment though, I think he's right and they should be pretty powerful but we also need some higher cost so the universe isn't overrun with missiles.

Forgot your password?