I want to start a Test Formation Flight & Stunt team. All welcome to join!

Burns

Vice Admiral
Jun 2, 2014
RSI Handle
JBurns
I want to start a team for TEST that does formation flight and stunt flight, like a drunk version of the Blue Angels. Once the V0.9 patch drops, we can fly together, and I'd like to get the ball rolling to organize this thing. Anyone who has an interest is welcome to get in touch with me and hopefully we can make this thing happen for anyone that wants to do it.

If you are interested, please contact me:

RSI handle: JBurns
Reddit username: Burns31

More details to come, so stay tuned!

Lienna

Space Marshal
Feb 27, 2014
RSI Handle
Lienna
I love this idea, not sure I'm a good enough pilot to join in, but I'd love to try at least.

What ship should we be in? Would look best if we were all the same (also velocity and manouverability differences will only make things look sloppy)

Designated Drunk

Space Marshal
Feb 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Designated_Drunk
Would look best if we were all the same (also velocity and manouverability differences will only make things look sloppy)
Only looks sloppy if the pilots themselves can't keep a cohesive formation - dissimilar aircraft in a formation can look pretty good, especially if they can break off and do solo work while 1-4 are reforming for the next pass:

Burns

Vice Admiral
Jun 2, 2014
RSI Handle
JBurns
Good to hear some interest. For now, we will probably work with whatever people have for ships. I don't want to ask someone to drop money just to conform to ship standardization. I was thinking Auroras would be preferred, as it's the TEST official ship and a lot of people have them. Once PU launches and we don't have to pay real money to get ships, we may want to explore more nimble options like the Hornet, but for now whatever works for people should be fine.

zeddie

Space Marshal
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Test-Dummy
I'd like to join, but I fear because of my incompetency, we'll end up in a major fireball within the first 30 seconds...

(I still remember the first week I joined TEST, I played a around of Floats! event on War Thunder with Loteus... the first thing I did? with my big Japanese Boatplane? trying to fly next to Loteus' big Japanese Boatplane... and I hi-5'ed him with the wing and knocked him out of the sky... I think I passed my TEST flying ability test right there...)

JoeCool4433

Wisdom-Master
Donor
Nov 20, 2013
RSI Handle
JoeCool777
I'd like to join, but I fear because of my incompetency, we'll end up in a major fireball within the first 30 seconds...

(I still remember the first week I joined TEST, I played a around of Floats! event on War Thunder with Loteus... the first thing I did? with my big Japanese Boatplane? trying to fly next to Loteus' big Japanese Boatplane... and I hi-5'ed him with the wing and knocked him out of the sky... I think I passed my TEST flying ability test right there...)
That's ok zeddie. I remember our first SSS of War Thunder where I was aiming for Munken and had a little Loteus in between us soaking up all my bullets. All the while him desperately trying to type "Stop!"

There ain't no fire like friendly fire.

Reactions: Designated Drunk

rtmoose

Captain
May 28, 2014
RSI Handle
rtmoose
im down.

I also plan on trying to organize the squadron.. unfortunately my goals are more "lets get tactics and combat discipline organized so we never lose a PvP match"

not sure if anyone is interested in actually killing the other guys...

i guess we will find out

robojomo

Grand Admiral
Aug 27, 2014
RSI Handle
robojomo
I'm into this.

im down.

I also plan on trying to organize the squadron.. unfortunately my goals are more "lets get tactics and combat discipline organized so we never lose a PvP match"

not sure if anyone is interested in actually killing the other guys...

i guess we will find out
I'm also into this.

I'm sure the formation stuff would help with general flying ability, so I guess in theory it will help combat, maybe?

More importantly I wanna see how ridiculous it looks on the first few dozen go-arounds.

Designated Drunk

Space Marshal
Feb 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Designated_Drunk
I'm sure the formation stuff would help with general flying ability, so I guess in theory it will help combat, maybe?

More importantly I wanna see how ridiculous it looks on the first few dozen go-arounds.
Formation flying won't really improve your combat skills any - there were wonderful massive aircraft formations in the 40s and 50s, but they were done more for navigational cohesion. Nowadays, military formation flying doesn't get much more complicated than a simple echelon formation while hanging off of a tanker. The guys with old T-6 and T-28 trainers (and FAST cards) do more formation work than current fighter pilots do.

That being said, formation flying will certainly help your piloting skills. But learning to fly a ship is a totally different pursuit from being able to fight in one. I don't think that's a downside, though. And heck, there's already precedence for virtual formation flying... That pic I posted above? Well, there's already a group of fans who have put together an online version of that flight team: http://www.virtualblackdiamondjetteam.com/

rtmoose

Captain
May 28, 2014
RSI Handle
rtmoose
whats most important when we are playing as a team is streamlined communication and attack priorities

(ie we are flying in a standard echelon formation and we spot a group of enemies... each member of the formation knows their assigned role in the attack based on what position they are in the echelon.. much like tank formations all know to attack the same enemy at the same time from SOP practice)

Raggy

Commander
Jun 9, 2014
RSI Handle
TheRaggy

Die horribly in a rapidly expanding ball of superheated gas and shrapnel you say? No reward other than huge amounts of ale and swagger you say?!

You have my sword! I mean ships... My max doesn't exactly turn on a dime so I'll be in a bunk and you can make pretties around me :) (artists impression above)

Reactions: JoeCool4433

NobleVillain

Vice Admiral
Jun 5, 2014
RSI Handle
GoSonic
Hell, what a jolly good idea. I'm in, and I'll don a clown costume in the cockpit making sure I'll henter heaven in style!

Reactions: Raggy
Forgot your password?