i7-8700k 4.7GHz

SullyQuindarius

Admiral
Dec 24, 2017
RSI Handle
SullyQuindarius
Alrighty. My second post here.

So. I'll be finishing my build tomorrow when my SSD arrives, and I've decided I want to OC my 8700k, because I have an AIO and I can.

So after some research, it seems 5GHz would require a delid for proper cooling, but 4.7GHz on all cores seems very achievable, since that's the 8700k's max boost anyways.

My noob question - what exactly do I need to change in BIOS? Is it as simple as just changing the multiplier to 47? Do I need to mess with the voltage or anything else? Or is it as easy as that?

Reactions: Radegast74

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
Depends on the motherboard.

Every time I do any OCing I'll check a dozen or so OCing guides specific to the MB and CPU I'm using so I have a solid feel on heat thresholds and degradation rate.

SullyQuindarius

Admiral
Dec 24, 2017
RSI Handle
SullyQuindarius
Depends on the motherboard.

Every time I do any OCing I'll check a dozen or so OCing guides specific to the MB and CPU I'm using so I have a solid feel on heat thresholds and degradation rate.
Asus Z370-E.

Do you have a good guide to all that stuff? It's all gibberish to me rn.

SullyQuindarius

Admiral
Dec 24, 2017
RSI Handle
SullyQuindarius
Found a basic guide on Reddit. No idea how well this'd work (and it's 4.8 instead of 4.7) but:

• set AI Overclock Tuner to XMP, then go to save and exit and write down the values and entries that got changed for later. In my case, it was DRAM Frequency: 3000, CAS: 15, RAS to CAS: 17, and DRAM Voltage: 1.35v.

• set AI Overclock Tuner to manual

• Disable ASUS Multicore Enhancement

• Set CPU Core Ratio to Sync All Cores

• Set 1-core ratio limit to 48 to start

• Disable CPU SVID Support

• Go to Internal CPU Power Management

• Set IA AC Load Line and IA DC Load Line to .01 each

• Set CPU Core/Cache Voltage to Manual and then 1.25 to start

• Save and exit. If you don't hit Windows, go back and increase the CPU voltage by .01 and try again. If you hit Windows, load up Prime95 Blender test and run that for a couple of minutes to see if you get any errors. Also keep an eye on your temps using HWMonitor or CAM or whatever. I used HWMonitor, cause HWMonitor keeps a per core record of min/max temps on top of showing the current temps. Also shows fan speeds and voltage numbers and CPU utilization and all sorts of awesome stuff. You can safely peak in the 80's, but it shouldn't be up there constantly. And if you hit 90's, that's not good. If it's good you can keep those settings and do a longer stress test to ensure stability (I ran mine overnight). Or you could go back to the BIOS and lower the CPU voltage by .01 until you find the lowest stable voltage if you want to see how low a voltage you need at that speed. Or you can increase the core ratio limit to 49 or 50 and work your voltage up slowly until you find a stable voltage for that speed. I could probably still try and lower my voltage lower than 1.25 on my system, but that seems like a fine voltage, so I'm probably not gonna sweat it.

• Also, finally, once you've got your CPU in a stable spot, go back into the BIOS and manually set all those DRAM values that you got at the start. Then run a stress test again just to be sure.
Does that look about right for a starting point? I've also heard differing opinions on MCE - some people say turn it off for OC, some people say leave it on on ASUS mobos...

Reactions: Deroth

SullyQuindarius

Admiral
Dec 24, 2017
RSI Handle
SullyQuindarius
Gah, this is so annoying. All I want is a tutorial for OCing the 8700k on the Z370E to 4.7-4.8GHz, but everybody just posts fancy 5GHz delidded videos :/

Forgot your password?