ICYMI : CitizenCon 2016 Gameplay Demo

Capt_Baldi

Grand Admiral
May 13, 2015
RSI Handle
Capt_Baldi
Thanks for cutting the gameplay presentation together.

Seriously though.. This whole presentation was kinda dull tbh.. They hyped it up at Gamescom like "JUST wait what we have to show you at citizencon".
The whole presentation was filled with faults and strange behaviour, with cutouts, microphone disrupts and with very thin content if you ask me..

Stayed up from 12am to 3am cet and actually went to bed when the gameplay demo was 10 min in and it kept cutting out..
I feel like I stayed up to watch a presentation with no real meat to it.. Like they just had to show us SOMETHING..

I don't know if I'm the only one feeling this way? :p

Reyalp CB4

Space Marshal
Oct 1, 2015
RSI Handle
reyalp
Thanks for cutting the gameplay presentation together.

Seriously though.. This whole presentation was kinda dull tbh.. They hyped it up at Gamescom like "JUST wait what we have to show you at citizencon".
The whole presentation was filled with faults and strange behaviour, with cutouts, microphone disrupts and with very thin content if you ask me..

Stayed up from 12am to 3am cet and actually went to bed when the gameplay demo was 10 min in and it kept cutting out..
I feel like I stayed up to watch a presentation with no real meat to it.. Like they just had to show us SOMETHING..

Yeah It def felt like there was content missing that was intended, but nixed last minute. The whole lets show you how our planet tech behind the scenes felt like a last min place holder

Reactions: AstroSam

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
There are some more of those disappointed voices in the www. I've two opinions on that one: 1. the GamesCom was such a huge eye-opener, that I couldn't imagine to become even more, and more stunning, information only eight weeks later. 2. it disappoints that CIG hasn't released at least a SQ42 teaser trailer or something like that. But nevertheless, I'll watch the presentation vids in a couple of hours, looking forward to that planetary landing 2.0, which some of you mentioned before.

Reactions: Captain Call

Reyalp CB4

Space Marshal
Oct 1, 2015
RSI Handle
reyalp
There are some more of those disappointed voices in the www. I've two opinions on that one: 1. the GamesCom was such a huge eye-opener, that I couldn't imagine to become even more, and more stunning, information only eight weeks later. 2. it disappoints that CIG hasn't released at least a SQ42 teaser trailer or something like that. But nevertheless, I'll watch the presentation vids in a couple of hours, looking forward to that planetary landing 2.0, which some of you mentioned before.
The Really where's the rest of your game makes me giggle

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
Cant watch the vid here at work. But why are you posting an E3 trailer of 2014...?

Reyalp CB4

Space Marshal
Oct 1, 2015
RSI Handle
reyalp
Cant watch the vid here at work. But why are you posting an E3 trailer of 2014...?
it was that microsoft game Project Spark with all the world creation tools its what i thought of when watching Citizen Con

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
Twitch stream was going crazy for us watching live, cut out multiple times. Ripped the raw files from the Star Citizen channel after the original broadcast and spliced them together that best I could.

Watched it. Thanks for uploading. Well, I also have to say: very nice tech demo. But where is SC in this vid? Only one person in the Aquila, wtf? Why haven't they put in there at least two or three players? I mean, the interaction between those two guys in the Freelancer during GamesCom presentation just made 50% of the excitement level. This here was simply boring. Plus I sorely missed the cheering fans in the background, expressing their excitement by yelling and whistling.
Most impressive part was the upcoming sand storm, tearing of those metal plates of the Javelin's wreck. But thats far too little, looking to the announcement by CR a couple of weeks before!

As I said: as a tech demo, showing the graphics and animations, its pretty cool stuff. As a SC demo there was - for me - almost no SC in there. Plus, I don't like the new interor design as well as the cockpit redesign of the Aquila.

Now waiting for CitCon in Frankfurt/Germany.

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker
Watched it. Thanks for uploading. Well, I also have to say: very nice tech demo. But where is SC in this vid? Only one person in the Aquila, wtf? Why haven't they put in there at least two or three players? I mean, the interaction between those two guys in the Freelancer during GamesCom presentation just made 50% of the excitement level. This here was simply boring. Plus I sorely missed the cheering fans in the background, expressing their excitement by yelling and whistling.
Most impressive part was the upcoming sand storm, tearing of those metal plates of the Javelin's wreck. But thats far too little, looking to the announcement by CR a couple of weeks before!

As I said: as a tech demo, showing the graphics and animations, its pretty cool stuff. As a SC demo there was - for me - almost no SC in there. Plus, I don't like the new interor design as well as the cockpit redesign of the Aquila.

Now waiting for CitCon in Frankfurt/Germany.
Thinking back on it now, I remember being a bit disappointed by the demo's lack of multiplayer too. I was thinking the rescue mission would be to rescue a crashed player and the pair of them escaping on a Dragonfly. Would have been a thrilling sequence shooting at the worm from the backseat while riding away into the sunset or something.
While it was nice to see the planet with all the various foliage and climates, even weather, I never really had doubts that that would be on its way. I was more impressed by the scale. Looking back at the spaceship 2 km away had me wondering what was 200 km away... hopefully something...

I like that there was confirmation on certain game mechanics being included. For one, rifles and armor needing to be stowed in order to pilot. I might be one of the few who prefers it this way, but I think it adds another layer to think about when venturing out into the unknown. You shouldn't just live in your armored space suit while hauling sniper rifles and bazookas everywhere you go.
The melee I was a bit less impressed by. Press F to "takedown" and wait for the animation to run its course. Not terrible, but could be more interesting for sure. Getting auto-stabbed in PVP will probably not be much fun. I'm glad melee is in the works, but I hope it gets more detailed.

The Spectrum thing I didn't entirely understand. Is there a need for all that? I'm probably spoiled by this forum and the Discord. Seems like a bit of overreaching when you just need a proximity voice channel and chat window while also having an org channel and chat. Alt+tab and browser tabs don't bother me much. Maybe it will turn out great, can't claim to be overly knowledgeable on the subject.

Can't really claim to be disappointed by the lack of Sq42 either, even though I know some are. Hyping up all the actors and motion captured cinematic scenes sounds like getting excited for what is the worst part of nearly every game I've ever played, cut scenes. I'll be delighted to be proved wrong on this, but the plotline and story of the single player campaign are exactly what will make me not want to play it twice. I'll already know how the story ends. I don't expect any amount of Skywalker or Scully telling me, "Great job, [player protagonist]!" will keep my attention.

Sheesh, I sound all cynical and bummed out now. I did have fun watching the stream, despite my gripes.

Forgot your password?