Idea: Star Citizen Tech Issues Open House

allquixotic

Commander
Jun 12, 2016
RSI Handle
Tiyuk
Hey guys,

Just joined TEST a few days ago, and I already have an idea :D

I'd like to propose a recurring monthly Open House meeting (on Discord), where those interested pile into a channel and discuss topics such as the following:

• Tweaking graphics settings (e.g. Nvidia control panel, Star Citizen settings files) to improve performance or get the ideal tradeoff between performance and quality.
  • Hardware upgrade advice for those who are not satisfied with the performance they're getting now. Bring a budget of how much you're willing to spend and when you plan to upgrade and we'll give advice on the spot. Kind of like the buildapc subreddit, except real-time.
  • Technical issues with Star Citizen? We can share whether anyone has encountered the problem before or found a fix. If no one's found a fix we can find someone available to help troubleshoot, and if it seems like a bug, we can report it to the Issue Council if it's reproducible.

The general idea would be, those willing to offer help and those looking for help, would join the channel. Then we sit there until someone looking for help asks a question. If there's a quick answer, we can just answer it and move on. If not, someone who has a good bit of knowledge on the topic can pull the person aside into another room and talk them through it at length until the issue is resolved.

Granted, this type of thing happens organically and gradually over time, but having a focused meet-up about it on a monthly basis might give those who are perhaps shy to disrupt the flow of general chat, an opening to discuss these things specifically and hopefully in the audience of a big crowd of knowledgable people.

It's also designed to be a voice-oriented thing because I realize that a lot of people are not really into typing and would rather talk it through than write up their problem. We have nearly 10,000 members; I'm sure at least a few of them are of the opinion that their HOTAS doesn't let them type so they aren't going to type. ;)

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader
Count me in. As long as it does not turn into a multi talk-over-each other affair.

I will gladly attend the first meeting.

I would like to offer the suggestion that if needed, members temporarily pair off into a separate channel for a brief time to discuss 1-on-1 then return. Particularly as you list three different categories. It could get confusing very quickly.

Just joined TEST a few days ago, and I already have an idea :D
It is always good see someone take an initiative with a good idea that benefits TEST.
How long you have been in TEST is unimportant. That you wish to contribute is to be commended.

I hope this works and becomes a 'thing'.
Thanks for proposing this.

Arrangingstars

Space Marshal
Nov 21, 2014
RSI Handle
Arrangingstars
I SERIOUSLY love this idea. @allquixotic , if you're willing to put the event together I'll make sure the thread gets stickied, and people on Discord are notified. I can even make a temporary SC Help Desk voice channel for you in Discord, or you could use the Flight School channel - that would probably be better as long as it's not on the days the Flight School meets (sundays I think). :)

Reactions: CosmicTrader

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader
I SERIOUSLY love this idea. @allquixotic , if you're willing to put the event together I'll make sure the thread gets stickied, and people on Discord are notified. I can even make a temporary SC Help Desk voice channel for you in Discord, or you could use the Flight School channel - that would probably be better as long as it's not on the days the Flight School meets (sundays I think). :)
@Arrangingstars as usual you are terrific.
Thanks. This idea is worth supporting.

the Flight School meets (sundays I think). :)
Nice. When did this happen? Wish I had known.
What times? EST evenings I bet.

Reactions: GeneticPredator

allquixotic

Commander
Jun 12, 2016
RSI Handle
Tiyuk
What do you guys think would be the best time to schedule this?

Thanks for all the support and offers to help.

I would like to offer the suggestion that if needed, members temporarily pair off into a separate channel for a brief time to discuss 1-on-1 then return. Particularly as you list three different categories. It could get confusing very quickly.
See OP:

If there's a quick answer, we can just answer it and move on. If not, someone who has a good bit of knowledge on the topic can pull the person aside into another room and talk them through it at length until the issue is resolved.

Forgot your password?