I'm terribad at Halo (5). I want some TESTies who are not to make me slightly less terribad.

Accented

Vice Admiral
Jan 23, 2016
RSI Handle
Accented
So yeah. The general vibe that I'm getting from Google and every player ever is just "practice practice practice", but nobody ever mentions practice what. For example, to get better at CS you can practice stutter stepping or learn a few smokes, to get better at League you can practice last hitting, and to get better at Star Citizen you could practice strafing and learn all the buttons.

What do you practice in Halo? What am I supposed to learn?

I was going to post this in /r/Halo but they're not as nice as you guys. <3

Also they don't accept low effort posts.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
I dropped Xbox a while ago, but I thought 5 was out by then. It might've been 4.

Also, you can practice flying in SC?!

That just sounds weird coming out of my mouth.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Op4ArcticFox

Space Marshal
May 9, 2014
RSI Handle
Op4ArcticFox
The big thing I've noticed with Halo 5 is skill dropoff. If you don't play for a week+ you are going to get worse. A lot of what you need is simple map knowledge, and muscle memory for action/reaction. Navigation is a big thing, and being able to identify and land shots on a target is a big thing. Other than that..... time makes good.

Gearen

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Gearen
Played halo 5 mp for 3 weeks, leaved because exams. Now I don't have live so Icant help you . BUT, form my experience , you need to master 3 things in halo to me great at it: Learn the strategic position in the maps depending of your weapons/ vehicle. Learn what weapon configuration is better in same cases. Learn to use the vehicle, they are really powerful if you control them the way it's needed.

Accented

Vice Admiral
Jan 23, 2016
RSI Handle
Accented
Played halo 5 mp for 3 weeks, leaved because exams. Now I don't have live so Icant help you . BUT, form my experience , you need to master 3 things in halo to me great at it: Learn the strategic position in the maps depending of your weapons/ vehicle. Learn what weapon configuration is better in same cases. Learn to use the vehicle, they are really powerful if you control them the way it's needed.
Sorry, I should've clarified. I'm actually decent at the Wargames and BTB modes, but standard 4v4 Arena and Slayer (where there are no vehicles or different weapon configs) are a different story. I play extremely inconsistently and end up on the bottom of the scoreboard more often than not.

Gearen

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Gearen
Sorry, I should've clarified. I'm actually decent at the Wargames and BTB modes, but standard 4v4 Arena and Slayer (where there are no vehicles or different weapon configs) are a different story. I play extremely inconsistently and end up on the bottom of the scoreboard more often than not.
Can't help you in that, I haven't played 4v4 seriously since the good old Halo 3 days...

FireEmblem6

Captain
Feb 27, 2016
RSI Handle
FireEmblem6
My skills are heavily based on halo 2 as I didn't really care for 3 and only tried 4 for a week. But I am generally good a FPS games so I think I can still help :P

Grenades are your best friend. Learn how to place them in tight spots, bounce them off walls to get around an angle etc.

Stick with team mates as much as possible. You will never get better if you are always alone and getting destroyed. Stick with a team mate and help support them.

Learning to strafe side to side while staying on target is a very valuable skill. If the game has split screen, feel free to spawn in a dummy player just to practice.

Learning the maps and where the power weapons locations are also very important. Even if you can not get to them, slowing your enemy down will help your team to secure them.

Learn the ins and outs of each class. Figure out for yourself what each pro and con for each one is. This goes for every weapon as well. The staples have always been BR and Magnum I believe, and I almost always see pro players equipped with these weapons (not counting power weapons)

Never be afraid to take cover if you are being shot at. If you are being shot at from behind, run with your head down to make it harder for them to get headshots on you (Only if being shot from the side to behind, never from the front.)

Shooter games like this are also a mind game of deceiving your enemy. Try to think of what moves they will make to get to you, and think of ways to counter it. This will come from practice a lot of the time.

I have an old halo 2 video lurking around I could find if you are interested. Hopefully some of this info will help!

Reactions: Accented

Accented

Vice Admiral
Jan 23, 2016
RSI Handle
Accented
My skills are heavily based on halo 2 as I didn't really care for 3 and only tried 4 for a week. But I am generally good a FPS games so I think I can still help :p

Grenades are your best friend. Learn how to place them in tight spots, bounce them off walls to get around an angle etc.

Stick with team mates as much as possible. You will never get better if you are always alone and getting destroyed. Stick with a team mate and help support them.

Learning to strafe side to side while staying on target is a very valuable skill. If the game has split screen, feel free to spawn in a dummy player just to practice.

Learning the maps and where the power weapons locations are also very important. Even if you can not get to them, slowing your enemy down will help your team to secure them.

Learn the ins and outs of each class. Figure out for yourself what each pro and con for each one is. This goes for every weapon as well. The staples have always been BR and Magnum I believe, and I almost always see pro players equipped with these weapons (not counting power weapons)

Never be afraid to take cover if you are being shot at. If you are being shot at from behind, run with your head down to make it harder for them to get headshots on you (Only if being shot from the side to behind, never from the front.)

Shooter games like this are also a mind game of deceiving your enemy. Try to think of what moves they will make to get to you, and think of ways to counter it. This will come from practice a lot of the time.

I have an old halo 2 video lurking around I could find if you are interested. Hopefully some of this info will help!
Thanks for this, it helps alot!

Riekopo

Vice Admiral
Mar 4, 2015
RSI Handle
Riekopo
Usually every Friday at 10:30pm EST there is a Halo MCC event. The host is my friend MasterCh1ef87. My gamertag is Riekopo.

Forgot your password?