Immersive gameplay in SC alpha

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
That's the good stuff right there. I suspect experiences like that will become far more frequent once they implement the mechanics that they talked about in "death of a spaceman". If they put that stuff in, we won't have that option to suicide and respawn right back.

When they first wrote about their plans for limited lifespan, I was extremely skeptical. I have been playing unlimited life games for far too long though. I have gotten used to it as a "work around" for game mechanics. In some games, death is actually an advantage as you can use it as a free quick travel mechanic.

Now that I see the universe being built, and see the potential of this game, I am getting more and more sold on serious penalties to death. My initial hesitance was mainly due to griefing. I am pretty skilled at dodging griefers but sometimes you just end up dying alot and there is nothing you can do about it but log off or power through it. Having serious penalties to dying really concerns me when it comes to that.

However, there are orgs like Test out there. If griefers are running wild in an area, someone will take up the mantle of police (even NPC police) and take them out. This means that griefers will be paying the same penalty. They are NEVER ok with that. Griefers are chickens. If there is a chance of dying and paying a big penalty, they will not put themselves at risk. They will run away and find some other way to ruin gameplay.

So I digressed a bit there... At the end of the day I am absolutely willing to give death penalties a shot. Mainly because it will make gameplay like your story here a regular thing. If this was your only reasonable path to take if your ship is destroyed, just imagine how massive this universe will feel. Just imagine that feeling of risk vs reward. I can't wait to see this all come together.

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader
I have had immersive experiences since AC first launched. I still have them.
I have been rescued and helped rescue others. Both in ships and on the ground.

Star Citizen is in the infant stages of Alpha development and still we can make our own experiences with each other if we really want to.

Not as dramatic but one of my personal favorite experiences was the day that the Social Module, ArcCorp, Launched.
I was anxious and excited to see this as it was the very first 'step' into the 'Verse.
As I stepped out of the elevator, I was stunned at the wonder and beauty of it.
I passed through the security room and when the door opened and I stepped out into the 'Verse for the very first time, there before me was another player.
He saluted and asked in chat if this was my first time. I answered yes and he welcomed me to the 'Verse.
He then proceeded to take me around and show me everything.
This lasted for almost an hour and then he said he must leave and thanked me for allowing him the pleasure of sharing this wonder with me.
To this day I wish I had been calm enough to remember his name.
A total stranger then and now.
A friend. A backer. A Star Citizen.
This is still my fondest memory for it gave me hope of what is to come.

Today, I had the pleasure to return this favor by taking a long time friend on his first 'tour' and introduction of GrimHex.
His joy and excitement meant more to me than when I first visited GrimHex.
I had given back to the community what it had given to me and I shall continue to do so every chance I get.
Will you?

Enjoy the present. Enjoy the experience.
Enjoy each others company.
Star Citizen.

Callahad

Captain
Aug 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Gavin6115
That's the good stuff right there. I suspect experiences like that will become far more frequent once they implement the mechanics that they talked about in "death of a spaceman". If they put that stuff in, we won't have that option to suicide and respawn right back.

When they first wrote about their plans for limited lifespan, I was extremely skeptical. I have been playing unlimited life games for far too long though. I have gotten used to it as a "work around" for game mechanics. In some games, death is actually an advantage as you can use it as a free quick travel mechanic.

Now that I see the universe being built, and see the potential of this game, I am getting more and more sold on serious penalties to death. My initial hesitance was mainly due to griefing. I am pretty skilled at dodging griefers but sometimes you just end up dying alot and there is nothing you can do about it but log off or power through it. Having serious penalties to dying really concerns me when it comes to that.

However, there are orgs like Test out there. If griefers are running wild in an area, someone will take up the mantle of police (even NPC police) and take them out. This means that griefers will be paying the same penalty. They are NEVER ok with that. Griefers are chickens. If there is a chance of dying and paying a big penalty, they will not put themselves at risk. They will run away and find some other way to ruin gameplay.

So I digressed a bit there... At the end of the day I am absolutely willing to give death penalties a shot. Mainly because it will make gameplay like your story here a regular thing. If this was your only reasonable path to take if your ship is destroyed, just imagine how massive this universe will feel. Just imagine that feeling of risk vs reward. I can't wait to see this all come together.
That's exactly it. Another worry I have is for new citizens joining up after the game has been running a while (or just casual gamers dipping in and out) and a lot of people out there are pretty advanced, both in skills and equipment, they would be no match in a dogfight or FPS. I wouldn't want this putting people off. When I started playing WoW a while back I thought it was really cool you could do quests in a game mode where combat was optional, but this doesn't add that whole risk vs reward element and you lose that anxiety, like the guy in that story had. Really interested to see what the developers come up with.

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
Another worry I have is for new citizens joining up after the game has been running a while (or just casual gamers dipping in and out) and a lot of people out there are pretty advanced, both in skills and equipment, they would be no match in a dogfight or FPS.
I think this will depend entirely on content. One of the hopes I have for SC, is that it will appeal to the masses. Once it releases and starts picking up speed, it will need to appeal to more than just the flight sim crowd. I hope that there is sufficient content to play SC without ever piloting a ship in a dogfight. Likewise, I hope that you can play exclusively in a cockpit. I hope that you can loose yourself entirely in the math of making an empire (and one day apparently build that empire). I want this game to appeal and draw crowds from not just the flight sims, but from FPS shooters, city builders, and even farmers.

I honestly believe that this game needs the ability to play from all these different angles. Because if Johnny Newguy shows up to the verse and immediately gets blasted out of his LN cause some dbag is griefing that port, he won't be coming back. He probably struggled through the tutorial, finally got out to the port, had the initial "port olisar omg moment" when he ran out on the deck for the first time, and then got smacked out of space like a fly.

If he's fresh from the latest COD game, even the weaksauce pirates floating around will kill them. So yea. They absolutely need a gameplay avenue for everyone. Because if everyone needs to be an ace fighter pilot, this game will never live up to it's potential.

soyman5000

Lieutenant
Aug 30, 2016
RSI Handle
soyman5000
While I was tooling about in my connie, I received a call that a team of 6 marines at Kareah needed a combat evac from a hot landing zone. I had two gunners at the time so we decided to run in and scoop them up. I was doing the flying while my gunners kept the other ne'er-do-wells at bay. We set down on the pad on the far side of the station - the shadowed one - while I watched my crew open the cargo bay doors and scoop up 6 or 7 other players. We gave them a ride back to Ollie and /danced and /saluted each other. Nothing that crazy but it was really fun.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
This kind of stuff is what makes the game special.

Reactions: AstroSam

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam

Definitely will come, as CIG announced that mid of this year. But imho this will be one of the last gameplay elements for it has to made sure that there are minor possibilies left of "sticking" around (haha) or instant deaths by griefers. Not to speak about the whole balancing topic which should at least give you the chance to be rescued. There is not much room for rescuing actions when a ship explodes because you start the engines; or an Aurora crashes into your 100% healthy Connie ;)

Reactions: Bruttle
Forgot your password?