In game tool

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Anyone want to guesstimate what it would take to code a small tool that when you hit a key, takes a screenshot that includes incoming fire, and compares the color of the trace against a library to immediately determine what weapon is shooting at you, and tells you what it's range is?

Seems like the kind of enhanced "sensor" that could be worth some cash, as it would provide serious advantage in battle. I think each weapon has a unique signature, yes?

I'm not even sure you need a screen shot. The data is in your vid stream somewhere. Could be in automatically identifies and calls out weapon types and ranges for incoming fire, and perhaops even identifies if the fire is low thrat, mid or high?

Reactions: marcsand2

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Look at the damage you take.
A single shots, high damage: strife or sledge
A single shot, only shields take damage: laser cannons
A rapid stream of bullets: Gatling guns
A Spray of bullets in single shots: shot guns
I'll add that also color make a difference:
- blu/light blue -> mass driver
- yellow-red -> balistic
- intense red -> laser
- blu-violet -> reutron

also the sound of the weapon and the ROF make a difference to identify it.

All with the only tool you already have: your smartness

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
That's great! and I was actually thinking of Marcsand2's ability to tell the difference in battle when I penned this. However, I doubt anyone can tell the difference between an S2 Mantis and an S4 Revenant from the sight and sound, nor has their very different ranges memorized. Fact is though, every weapon is supposed to have a unique sight and sound signature, so these could all be loaded into a library and compared against.

Sounds like a one person project to me, and I am always looking for unique benefits to TEST membership.

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
...I doubt anyone can tell the difference between an S2 Mantis and an S4 Revenant from the sight and sound, nor has their very different ranges memorized.
This is called experience and knowlage...
if the shooter is a Freelancer and is shooting gatling ther are, for sure, S3 mantis, if is a Hammered is for sure Ravenant, for example.... if are coming from a smaller figher you can look for the positions, and if the bullet trace follow you or not, so you can estimate if the enemy is using gimbal or not andn by conseguence, the size of the weapon (of course you need to know the hardpoint of the ship...)

I also think that some time is not even that important to know the exact weapon is mounting: I mean I'll found myself into a combat with a Hornet and I see a steam of bulllet coming from him I know his sporting a full gatling setup, and I know I HAVE to evade him, I don't care if he is sporting a Ravenant or two mantis in the top turret, I'm still in deep sh!t and my first worry is the get my ass out ot there as soon as I can... and of course if he is hitting me then he is stil in range so better to move... don't need to know that is capable of hitting me at 4k or 5k...

Also, if you are planning an assault I think a stealth ship witha good scanner will in the future be able to detect the whip weapon (at least the powered on one) from the distant, and that is abetter way to identify enemy load out then waiting them to use it on you...

Forgot your password?