In regards to my first pc build ram issues and whatnot.

Boggles

Lieutenant
Feb 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Arthurdent
Hello guys aaaaand girls. My name is Boggles because it boggles the mind why I haven't been more active with such a great community on here and sc so lets hope I can start by doing what noobs do best, asking for help.

I am currently building a computer for dun dun dun Star citizen! Yea me!
I have the tower already a thermaltake core v71: http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00002231
a power supply evga supernova 850 g2: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=377
and a mouse deathadder chroma: http://www.razerzone.com/store/razer-deathadder-chroma
thats it... yes I know I have a ways to go but with tax refund around the corner I should be able to finish up on my build.
So here is a little about where I am and what I am looking to spend and what for. I am in the U.S.A. and I am looking to spend somewhere around 1000 us to 1300 us for the final parts (cpu, gpu, ram, motherboard, cpu cooler (maybe some oc'ing), and storage. What I want this pc for? I would like to create content maybe an episodic adventure/comedy using sc for the source and some sweet a$$ gaming (sorry for the bad words got excited again). but this is what I have picked out so far and I am highly unsure so any help would be much ablige but know this (WARNING) I will question you on why you say something not to be an butt but to better understand why you chose those particular part and said that they are the greatest thing to happen to pc's. so here is a glance at what I have chosen and I have no particular reason why because I'm an idiot and a pimple faced virgin so "take it easy!" http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Jy6Yqs

Reactions: CitizenDad

Eiyron

Space Marshal
Jan 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Eiyron
Storage - If you want speed with SDD, try Raid(Zero) configuration of 2 120GB instead of 1 240GB.
If you really want to go fast, go 4 SSDs on Raid(zero).
How fast is it? I can boot faster than an oldschool CRT monitor can turn On.

Graphics Card - I would hold back on graphics card till 300 Radeons series comes out. Its within a month's range and Prices Will go down.
$400 for a 290X Is a bit much if your on a tight budget. you can get 290X'es for $260, $200 if lucky.

Watercooling System - NZXT Kraken series has fancy features that you might like for a similar price to what you have https://cam.nzxt.com/

Reactions: RipVanDan

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
CPU: Solid, I have the same one.

Cooler: I stick with air cooling as a personal preference, I find that unless you are massively overclocking (I run my FX-8350 at 4.4 GHz on an Evo 212 air cooler, runs very cool even under heavy load) it's just not really worth it. But I have heard good things about the Corsair Hydro series for beginner level water cooling, without all the hassles of setting up custom loops and shit like that.

Memory: 16 gigs of solid RAM, good choice.

Video card: The 8GB version of the 290x might be overkill depending on your monitor setup- a single 290x is fully capable of ultra settings in the most demanding games on a single 1080p/1440p monitor. For 4k or multimonitor setups, you might be better off waiting for the R9 300 series to come out in a few months, either they'll be better for about the same price, or you can pick up a 290x for cheaper.

Space Monkey

Vice Admiral
Donor
Feb 21, 2015
RSI Handle
FlyingSpaceMonkey
Congrats on your build. I actually did mine earlier this month for SC as well. I loved the process of learning about the different components and what I should purchase for both gaming and some video editing.

Here's what I put together:
Case: Obsidian 750D
PS: EVGA 650W 80 Gold+
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD5-BK
CPU: i5 4690K
Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO
GPU: GeForce GTX960 2GB
RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury
SSD: 2x Intel 530 240GB
HD: Barracuda 1TB
Keyboard: Logitech G510s
Mouse: Anywhere MX

Boggles

Lieutenant
Feb 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Arthurdent
Storage - If you want speed with SDD, try Raid(Zero) configuration of 2 120GB instead of 1 240GB.
If you really want to go fast, go 4 SSDs on Raid(zero).
How fast is it? I can boot faster than an oldschool CRT monitor can turn On.

But it wouldn't be safe to run my operating system on it though would it? Should I downsize if I am just going to use the ssd for windows and maybe a few programs that I use most often or should I just go with a large capacity hybrid for everything. I don't relly need it blazing fast but I don't want to be slug bug either.

Boggles

Lieutenant
Feb 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Arthurdent
Congrats on your build. I actually did mine earlier this month for SC as well. I loved the process of learning about the different components and what I should purchase for both gaming and some video editing.

Here's what I put together:
Case: Obsidian 750D
PS: EVGA 650W 80 Gold+
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD5-BK
CPU: i5 4690K
Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO
GPU: GeForce GTX960 2GB
RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury
SSD: 2x Intel 530 240GB
HD: Barracuda 1TB
Keyboard: Logitech G510s
Mouse: Anywhere MX
Yeah I was looking at the i5 4690k but it jumps my budget up by about 150. How are you liking your setup and what video editing software are you using or would suggest?

Boggles

Lieutenant
Feb 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Arthurdent
The problem I am having with the gpu is that if I wanted to do a 2 way I would also have to upgrade my power supply I thought it would be good to hold off sc with this card because of the 8gb helping with the fidelity of the game but I was also thinking of a gtx 980 too I keep jumping back and forth on this and the cpu.
About the cooler do you feel that an aoi is too much or just a waste of money? I have thought about air cooling for the 8350 and the case I got has plenty of options for it almost as many as for water cooling but ugh I just don't know.... I feel like I am drowning in a sea of information here.

Space Monkey

Vice Admiral
Donor
Feb 21, 2015
RSI Handle
FlyingSpaceMonkey
Yeah I was looking at the i5 4690k but it jumps my budget up by about 150. How are you liking your setup and what video editing software are you using or would suggest?
I'm really liking my setup but I really don't have a frame of reference for a computer like this though, so big grain of salt. I think I did a good job with it. My last desktop was an iMac I bought in '08 and a laptop from '11. I was able to do what I needed for work but that's it and even that was a pain. I knew I would have to buy a new PC sooner rather than later and with SC coming up, it would give me a good benchmark to follow. I heard all about CR wanting to push computer gaming and all. I'm down.
I got components that were good but not top of the line. I wanted long term reliability over brute force. I've been playing AC on the highest setting and really don't have any issues with it so far. Really digging it. The few issues I've had so far I would say are due more to my lack of familiarity than anything else and I look forward to learning.

For editing, I think adobe premier. I know there's a bunch of other software out there for PC but I was burnt out on research at that point. If I had to learn another software anyway, might as well make one with a large community behind it. I figured lots of support.
I tried going the Hackintosh route and having a dual boot PC, to access some of the programs I was used to blahblahblah. but some of the components were not really liking that idea. After really looking at my needs for the Mac other than building it, I had to let it go for now until a time when the drivers become available.

Reactions: Boggles

Eiyron

Space Marshal
Jan 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Eiyron
There's always a tradeoff for performance. Im running that setup for more than a year, never had a fault.

I was also in the impression that you were making a dedicated gaming computer, Not a Work PC.

I do frequent back ups into a separate 1TB drive for important files.

Last edited:

Boggles

Lieutenant
Feb 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Arthurdent
@Eiyron Yeah primarily a gaming pc but I would ike to do some video editing and I have no idea about setups for that except that the cpu and storage matter quite a bit. p.s. I have also done a lil more tweeking to the set up. I changed the mobo to an msi 990fxa gd80v2 it's going for $150 right about now and I dropped the ssd to a 120gb sandisk ultra 2 for about $69 and keeping the hybrid for mass storage. All in all as of right now total cost is $780 before rebates $740 after. So I am trying to bring the price down quite a bit. also this price is without a gpu soooooooo :-( still trying to decide about that one.

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
I would not build right now. New GPU's will be out in literally a month or two. New CPU's, etc can be expected soon as well. Now is not the time. Prices will drop DRASTICALLY in the next few weeks, because current hardware will literally become last generation. Wait a few months, you'll get tons more power for the same price.

Also, current gen PC's will not run star citizen that well. It's going to be a late 2016 release game at best. Most of us plan to upgrade at that time, because SC will certainly make use of the additional horsepower. If you're building a new PC, focus more on upgradability than performance now.

Boggles

Lieutenant
Feb 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Arthurdent
@GrammarGestapo Yeah I am waiting to hear about the new gpu's from amd but I haven't heard that they are dropping new cpu's soon though but I doubt I would be able to afford a new amd cpu though... I dunno man I am impatient but trying to be patient... ugh computers sux/rock!

Forgot your password?