Input/Control Scheme Discussion

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
Didn't see a thread like this so thought I'd throw this up.

So what control method are you guys using/planning on using in the future?

For me, I have three inputs I'll be using.

1) Orbweaver. I've been gaming with a Nostromo N52 since ~2008, upgraded to the Orbweaver last year. So I haven't used a mouse + "keyboard" for years! :P
2) Stinkyboard footpad. I love this thing, even if its super niche and honestly a bit over priced. Once you get used to it, its just a lot more comfortable and easier to use. Planning on using it either for a "thrust pedal" or for quick access to flares or other such things.
3) Here's where I'm torn. I have a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, which is probably among the best price/performance you can get for a stick. I really like it, but I can't currently use it with either my Orbweaver or Stinkyboard. Dunno whether thats cryengine being wonky with multiple inputs or on CIGs end. But I've also been playing a lot with my mouse, which is geared torwards MMOs, so it has 12 side buttons (Razer Naga). And honestly, having all those buttons or macros at your disposal feels pretty sweet. I'll have to test it out in the future when multiple inputs/custom controls (without annoying XML editing plz) are available.

Might get Oculus Rift once the consumer model is out and I read some reviews, or get TrackIR once it's supported, but that's on the backburner.

What about you guys/gals?

Choppanob

Space Marshal
Jul 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Choppanob
Don't have the setup atm that i want, but will post what i have and want as setup.

1)Atm i'm using a S.T.R.I.K.E. 7 Keyboard and a R.A.T. 7 mouse, for playing non MMo games. (my fist non Logotech setup, but still use a G600 mouse when playing a MMo)
2)I'm also using a USB 3 Foot Pedals Board, mostly for Push to Talk button and as multipliers keybind (Shift,Ctrl... that kind of stuff)
3)But for steering my ship, i'm still waiting on my Saitex X55 HOTAS, that has been placed in backorder :( (I have tried, but can't fly for sh*t, with a board and mouse)

So that's it really, i'm for a Joystick age when it comes to fly sims, and that's the reason that i ordered a HOTAS.
With the comination of Macros buttons and the touchscreen of my keyboard, and the use of my pedals for macro or keystroke, i will have enough buttons to bind.
Also a reason why i went for the X55, because it has a twist... i still want to use my pedal board, instead of Flight Rudder Pedals (i'm used to it)

I'm also installing Voice Attack, and still looking into a head tracking system, and if i really need one :p
And looking into a USB mini fridge or something else to keep my beer cold :)

Huegpaynis

Space Marshal
May 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Huegpaynis
My current setup is an Xbox gmaepad, voice attack and M/K when on foot.
I'd like to replace the gamepad with a decent HOTAS, but I fully intend to continue using VA and M/K when on foot.

As for foot pedals, my desk is deep, but it's a repurposed executive's desk, so it has a section on the back side for a client to sit, which limits my legroom under the desk. Not an actual issue but it kind of precludes my use of foot pedals, were I so inclined.

On the head tracking, I want a rift so very, very badly. Only problem is, I am prone to motion sickness on some roller coasters and occasionally in the back seat of small planes or helicopters, so I need to try before I buy. If the rift isn't an option, I do want to get TrackIR or something equivalent.

With voice attack, I'm not as hamstrung as the default gamepad layout is, about the only thing I can't do that a m/k or joystick can is precision aiming with the head look. I'm going to continue using it, since I like the functionality, and with the latest beta's addition of state retention, that functionality is getting even better, since I can now give it conditional commands, for example, I can go directly from powering my shields to powering my weapons without having to run a default "power macro" to ensure I don't get all wonky.

(I'll be posting my updated VA profile in the VA thread once it's done.)

NotableJoe

Grand Admiral
May 10, 2014
RSI Handle
CaptainJax
HOTAM at the moment (CH Pro Throttle and Logitech G700s mouse), until the joysticks become a little more tunable and they add TrackIR support.

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
Yeah, I'm kind of just waiting on the controls to be customizable (without annoying XML file editing) before I fully judge M+KB vs Joystick. Some of the control layouts (like the default Logitech Xtreme 3D Pro) are really kinda wonky.

Gelafogo

Lieutenant
Jul 14, 2014
RSI Handle
Gelofogo
CiG said that they're working on developing a HOTAS hardware systems specifically for Star Citizen, so I'll probably be buying that. No ideas on what that'll include, but I'm hoping for dual joysticks and pedals.

I really want to try Oculus Rift, but developer kits are always prohibitively expensive unless you have a financial incentive to buy in early (and I don't develop games so I don't). OR has an expected ship date of late 2014/early 2015, so by the time Star Citizen is out (late 2016/early 2017), they should have OR working perfectly with the game.

Reactions: o-BHG-o

Groundstain

Grand Admiral
May 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Groundstain
Thrustmaster Warthog, Pro flight pedals and instead of the Oculus Rift I decided to just use TrackIR with a 5760 x 1080 resolution.
FPS combat will be a Logitech G13 a G700s and the Corsair mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX RGB mechanical switches.

EDIT: Voice Attack for power settings.

Shive

Speed Devil
Staff member
Officer
Mar 9, 2014
RSI Handle
GOD_Shive
Nintendo64 gamepad. If it can handle Starfox, damn straight it can handle SC!

Melon

Lieutenant
Jul 31, 2014
RSI Handle
SirCalculon
Thrustmaster T-flight HOTAS here. Aww yeah cheap and functional joysticks. I've gotten really accustomed to the rocker axis on the throttle at this point, but I'm very tempted to get some rudder pedals just to take some tasks off of my hands. I'm pretty happy with how it allows me to map all the Newtonian axes we currently have though.

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
I have a corsair K95 and a Perixx MX2000 II mouse. I like them, because they are shiny and I don't have to press hard to make work.

Forgot your password?