Intel Architecture, or "Go jump in a Lake"

Phantomoftruth

Space Marshal
Feb 14, 2016
RSI Handle
PhantomofTruth
While a lovely title that should make the reader believe they are clicking on an article that tries to clear up Generations and the fiddly bits associated with ChipSets, MoBos, and what makes a decent "Now" machine, This is not that article.

No, This is the article that asks the Truly Savvy to keep us from over spending on Bleeding, and Leading, Edge while still allowing one to Future-Proof their machines.

Phantom, if you don't know, Why the Fuck are you doing this?
Great Question! For the past decade I've only bought Gaming Laptops that can hold their own for, say, four years -ish. Example, my current rig that runs SC, among other games, and broadcasts Twitch is a ASUS RoG G750JX. She is 3-4 years old and while still a capable machine, she does feel the drag. I know she's running on Haswell and newer Intel takes us into Sky, Kaby, and Coffee, Lakes respectively.

I have not had to Frankenstein a machine in since the turn of the Century(when did I get so old?). So, Here I am back at the beginning. I can put a machine together, I'm no longer sure What is actually compatible any more.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Oh now we have both a thread and jumping in a lake! Cool.

I have not had to Frankenstein a machine in since the turn of the Century(when did I get so old?). So, Here I am back at the beginning. I can put a machine together, I'm no longer sure What is actually compatible any more.
I happen to be in the same boat, for largely the same reason - certainly the same manufacturer. I design software, some of which is used for high end simulations, so I used to know how to select performance hardware, but for the last 5 or 6 years, everything I've done has been either cloud PAAs or outright SAAS and microservices... so nowadays I personally am not sure where to begin. We generally don't give a rat's hind end about hardware nowadays (at work). Usually in the hardware lame condition I'm in now, I need to go to Frys and discuss options with their resident performance geek. But that's my local situation.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Oh now we have both a thread and jumping in a lake! Cool.

I happen to be in the same boat, for largely the same reason - certainly the same manufacturer. I design software, some of which is used for high end simulations, so I used to know how to select performance hardware, but for the last 5 or 6 years, everything I've done has been either cloud PAAs or outright SAAS and microservices... so nowadays I personally am not sure where to begin. We generally don't give a rat's hind end about hardware nowadays (at work). Usually in the hardware lame condition I'm in now, I need to go to Frys and discuss options with their resident performance geek. But that's my local situation.
The good news is that its a lot easier to build a PC then it once was. With websites like this http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/ its now possible to see benchmarks along with the prices of parts.

Jeff-Stewart

Lieutenant
Nov 26, 2017
RSI Handle
Jeffstewart
https://pcpartpicker.com/ this will also help. great fun pricing out systems. also nice to see when a component drops in price. when unsure about 1 part vs another google the to part names (gpu, cpu) and see what http://cpu.userbenchmark.com and cpuboss.com says about it. great way to see if spending a bit more or less money makes a huge difference in performance.

Forgot your password?