interesting take on VR

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
For me VR is something I use when piloting the ships but wouldn't try to use it when on the ground as a marine. While head tracking is ok I never liked the idea that i had to move my head and then look out the corner of my eyes at the monitor it just didn't work. With VR I can move my head and still look straight ahead out the side window of the cockpit.

While I agree with them on any FPS being problematic I find VR a great fit for those game play elements were they would be piloting something like a car, boat, plane, mech... or games were one would normally just scroll the map or game world with the mouse and not move a actor with in the game world. As they said and rightly so VR breaks down when you attempt to place the player in the game world and have the player move around the game world by their physical movement. And this will always be the limitation until you can do something like a halodeck or 6dof treadmill.

Reactions: Shadow Reaper

Greengiant506

Admiral
Aug 14, 2017
RSI Handle
Greengiant506
I greatly enjoy VR, I own a Vive and the PSVR. The most I do with the PSVR normally is use it as a massive movie screen or playing GTA on a massive screen (more fun than it sounds). With the Vive however, I frequently play Hotdogs Horseshoes and Hand grenades, its a great stress reliever plus it gives me the option for joystick like locomotion (I dont get motion sick easily and never have with this type of movement), I hate the teleporting and the touchpad joystick type movement seems far more fluid for me. I also frequently play IL2 (in fact its the only way I'll play it) there is no substitute for being able to have the situational awareness a good pair of headphones and VR can give you when flying a plane (aside from actually doing it of course). I do look forward to even just a head tracking version of it for SC, I find a lot of people will give up on it because they got motion sick first use, my first time I got dizzy after a few minutes, second time lasted a half hour, since then I can play for hours at a time without issue, its something new and your brain will resist.
I do agree that the technology is far from perfect, tracking can be a bit wonky at times and the screen resolution is something to get used to, but with time i'm sure it will hold is own in the gaming industry, technology advances fast if we let it!

Dethanor

Rear Admiral
Apr 8, 2018
RSI Handle
Dethanor
I've got a rift and it is amazing for elite dangerous with hotas. However I agree that the fps aspects of this game will be problematic.
It's a shame the performance impact VR has on a system make it an all or nothing kinda thing. Otherwise you could just lift the goggles when you land and use the monitor for walking about. However you would need a beast of a machine to output the monitor in full def at the same time as running the VR.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I've got a rift and it is amazing for elite dangerous with hotas. However I agree that the fps aspects of this game will be problematic.
It's a shame the performance impact VR has on a system make it an all or nothing kinda thing. Otherwise you could just lift the goggles when you land and use the monitor for walking about. However you would need a beast of a machine to output the monitor in full def at the same time as running the VR.
Which is why I was contemplating just having the VR show the game as a large movie screen with head tracking.

Dethanor

Rear Admiral
Apr 8, 2018
RSI Handle
Dethanor
That could work. I also have a track IR head tracker that works really well. Takes some setting up to get the deadzones correct but once you get used to it a slight turn of the head makes you look out of the side window without having to squint out of the corner or your eye. Honestly haven't tried it with SC yet though. Will wait for the fps to improve as I imagine the stuttering frames would kinda ruin the experience.

Forgot your password?