Inventory Management

Patrick Spaceman

Grand Admiral
Oct 4, 2020
RSI Handle
Patrick_Spaceman
It's always handy to have supplies aboard what ever ship you fly regularly (if it has storage space), from food and drink to first aid supplies, and spare ammo etc....but a pain in the ass to move..drag & drop, rinse and repeat. Some of you may be already doing this but I thought of the following:

- Take a subscriber award or pledge bought small / medium back pack (easily identifiable and unique looking if possible).
- Fill backpack with first-aid gear, food, drink, ammo, multi-tool and parts, a spare helmet.
- When you go out...just store your pack on your ship and restock it as needed (this is over and above any emergency gear stored in your armor).
- Transfer your pack between ships.
- Have a second one for ammo and grenades etc.

During FPS missions:

- Do the above but with white mining backpacks.
- Fill it with med-pens, med-guns, med-multi tools.
- Carry it in a larger pack takes up 49% so still plenty of room for ammo etc.
- When SHTF and you or someone needs gear, drop the pack so people can open and grab gear while you fight.

Multiple packs could be pre-made and stored aboard smaller craft such as a Pisces which could be used to re-supply troops in an area as required. The white ones for trauma kits, and yellow (at this stage) ammo etc. Also for operations some kind of standardization format would be required, so someone using a super-rare space pistol that fires potato's runs out of ammo, they're screwed...so something like a standard battle rifle carried during org ops would be a Behring P-4 for instance...so you'd know an ammo pack has the right ammo for you and everyone else.

What are your thoughts, ideas and things you do?

Pack 1.jpgPack 2.jpg

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
👈 - Excellent idea. In the ones I'm usually wearing I'm carrying food and drink for at least 12 hours, 5 med pens, 5 oxy pens, and it has enough room for a spare helmet, and ammo. Color coding would make it a perfect setup so I don't get them confused. I mean that almost always happens and it's depressing when I'm trying to transport weapons or clothing and find only food and drink.

Patrick Spaceman

Grand Admiral
Oct 4, 2020
RSI Handle
Patrick_Spaceman
Thats a good idea to just keep things in the pack, easy to transfer between ships.
I made mention of it on Spectrum under game ideas, asking if CIG could re-color some existing backpacks and give them dedicated names to make them easily identifiable such as white and green "MedKit" for example, and sell them in appropriate in-game stores..wouldn't be hard for them.

Patrick Spaceman

Grand Admiral
Oct 4, 2020
RSI Handle
Patrick_Spaceman
👈 - Excellent idea. In the ones I'm usually wearing I'm carrying food and drink for at least 12 hours, 5 med pens, 5 oxy pens, and it has enough room for a spare helmet, and ammo. Color coding would make it a perfect setup so I don't get them confused. I mean that almost always happens and it's depressing when I'm trying to transport weapons or clothing and find only food and drink.
Yep, put it under "game-ideas" on Spectrum...named and re-coloured packs in addition to the rest of the existing packs. I'm sure people would jump all over them.

Patrick Spaceman

Grand Admiral
Oct 4, 2020
RSI Handle
Patrick_Spaceman
Smart play... Makin' me feel some kind of way, that I hadn't thought of it!
I got sick of "Phew so thirsty, lucky I have water on my ship...no I don't....guess i'll just die" <-----extreme drama example

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Why yes, this sounds like a cool idea. Though with the frequency that I get destroyed, my gameloops gonna be like
1. Shop around for all that gear
2. Fill the backpack.
3. Place it in the ship
4. Crash
5. Burn
6. Respawn
7. Figure I'm too far to bother recovering it from the wreckage and it's easier to just go back to 1.

Patrick Spaceman

Grand Admiral
Oct 4, 2020
RSI Handle
Patrick_Spaceman
Why yes, this sounds like a cool idea. Though with the frequency that I get destroyed, my gameloops gonna be like
1. Shop around for all that gear
2. Fill the backpack.
3. Place it in the ship
4. Crash
5. Burn
6. Respawn
7. Figure I'm too far to bother recovering it from the wreckage and it's easier to just go back to 1.
I may even test it, take a pledge store backpack, place say three items in it....jump into an Aurora crash it and observe results.

EDIT:
Got side tracked, did a cave mission for a missing dude...killed four other NPC's there and found heap of Hadonite crystals...left and cashed them in...missing guy is still missing, but have accurate way to return....for more crystals later.

Then did a box mission...moved and delivered three boxes and killed two NPC's killed one with my Avenger and he was in a Warden...two missiles....the second was in an M50, couldn't catch him so left and came back with a Retaliator..but he was gone. Got to the deliver point and got a contact again, don't even know what it was...but the size 9 torpedo looked amazing as it hit him.....then I made two "Trauma Kits" and stashed one on two of the main ships I use regularly (Had to go and get some white backpacks, so I know what's what).

Last edited:

minor_accident

Vice Admiral
Mar 25, 2022
RSI Handle
minor_accident
While I wait for CIG to make the colored packs, I'll probably just go buy a few packs, and set them up as generic "go-bags." I typically carry a P-4 (so 6 spare mags for that), some med pens, and drinks/One-Meal bars I can loot at any outpost in spades.

I seem to remember at least one pack that said it was compatible with all armor classes, or maybe they all will mount to armor sets down to the rated class? Eg:
Rated "Heavy" --> mounts heavy
Rated "Med" --> mounts heavy/med
Rated "Light --> mounts heavy/med/light

IDK... My brain is fried... Learn to code, they said. It'll be fun, they said... :drunk:

Reactions: Vavrik

DrunkSpacePeej

Commander
Dec 14, 2021
RSI Handle
DrunkSpacePeej
but a pain in the ass to move..drag & drop, rinse and repeat.
For those that aren't aware there's an autohotkey script that was shared on Discord recently by od-20. It works very well for mass moving items back and forth. You can find the script here.
I had to make a few minor changes on the MouseMove values for my own setup (1440p ultrawide). I do not know if it's because the resolution or aspect ratio was different from the original author's intent.

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
It's always handy to have supplies aboard what ever ship you fly regularly (if it has storage space), from food and drink to first aid supplies, and spare ammo etc....but a pain in the ass to move..drag & drop, rinse and repeat. Some of you may be already doing this but I thought of the following:

- Take a subscriber award or pledge bought small / medium back pack (easily identifiable and unique looking if possible).
- Fill backpack with first-aid gear, food, drink, ammo, multi-tool and parts, a spare helmet.
- When you go out...just store your pack on your ship and restock it as needed (this is over and above any emergency gear stored in your armor).
- Transfer your pack between ships.
- Have a second one for ammo and grenades etc.

During FPS missions:

- Do the above but with white mining backpacks.
- Fill it with med-pens, med-guns, med-multi tools.
- Carry it in a larger pack takes up 49% so still plenty of room for ammo etc.
- When SHTF and you or someone needs gear, drop the pack so people can open and grab gear while you fight.

Multiple packs could be pre-made and stored aboard smaller craft such as a Pisces which could be used to re-supply troops in an area as required. The white ones for trauma kits, and yellow (at this stage) ammo etc. Also for operations some kind of standardization format would be required, so someone using a super-rare space pistol that fires potato's runs out of ammo, they're screwed...so something like a standard battle rifle carried during org ops would be a Behring P-4 for instance...so you'd know an ammo pack has the right ammo for you and everyone else.

What are your thoughts, ideas and things you do?

View attachment 22982View attachment 22983
Those are good advice, but I'll advice against having them all the time in the ship: with the current state of the game shit happen quite frequently and the chance to loose everithing si quite hight.
Having those packs ready to go and to pickup when needed on the other hand is a good idea to quickly organize an evening whitout the needing to go back to a station for resupply

Reactions: Vavrik

Patrick Spaceman

Grand Admiral
Oct 4, 2020
RSI Handle
Patrick_Spaceman
Those are good advice, but I'll advice against having them all the time in the ship: with the current state of the game shit happen quite frequently and the chance to loose everithing si quite hight.
Having those packs ready to go and to pickup when needed on the other hand is a good idea to quickly organize an evening whitout the needing to go back to a station for resupply
Personal preference on which packs to use, I used the freebie subscriber ones. Some red one and the orange Argo backpacks ONLY because I'll never use them for anything else and they'll sit there and clutter my local storage..may as well make them useful..and if they get wiped..they'll be back in the sequel (next server wipe).

Another alternative is to find another color that is buyable in-game but not as prolific as the yellow ones. As mentioned the white containers stand out, and i've also just as I was responding...found out we do actually have some different colors apart from yellow, white and blue. There is also apparently dull red, orange, gray and a lighter subdued yellow.....so i'm thinking orange and gray....orange for emergency stores and gray for ammo.

Also just thinking...for your large ships, you could use the new box container for stores and provisions etc. Make a few in-port and transfer as needed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/q8utr8 View: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/q8utr8/list_of_backpacks_315_ptu/

Last edited:

minor_accident

Vice Admiral
Mar 25, 2022
RSI Handle
minor_accident
Also just thinking...for your large ships, you could use the new box container for stores and provisions etc. Make a few in-port and transfer as needed.
I saw a bit ago on a YT vid prior to 3.17.1, that you were going to be able to purchase boxes. Did that ever happen, and if so, where can you buy them?

Reactions: Patrick Spaceman

Patrick Spaceman

Grand Admiral
Oct 4, 2020
RSI Handle
Patrick_Spaceman
I saw a bit ago on a YT vid prior to 3.17.1, that you were going to be able to purchase boxes. Did that ever happen, and if so, where can you buy them?
Yes you can, they're sold in any cargo center as wait for it...."container". They're not the same size as the larger ones people are "making", but they're the same size as the box mission containers and hold 122500 μSCU (way more than a backpack).

People do bunker missions with them. They carry them in by hand, set them down out of the way and do the mission then come back and carry it around to the loot boxes. The only things that don't fit is large heavy armor and rifle like weapons and above.

Forgot your password?