Investing in a Gaming Headset

Shar Treuse

Captain
Nov 24, 2014
RSI Handle
Shar Treuse
I am on my second set of Sennheisers, but I wanted to save $$$ and got a set without a mic this time. I wasn't using voice at all for a long time, but now I am kicking myself for not going with a proper headset instead of just headphones. Maybe I'll get the Plantronics set myself and let everyone know how they turn out, if I can manage to squeeze a few bucks out.

S

svenrichter

I am on my second set of Sennheisers, but I wanted to save $$$ and got a set without a mic this time. I wasn't using voice at all for a long time, but now I am kicking myself for not going with a proper headset instead of just headphones. Maybe I'll get the Plantronics set myself and let everyone know how they turn out, if I can manage to squeeze a few bucks out.

Google modmic if you dislike a desktop mic.

Egriz

Grand Pooh-Bear
Donor
Jan 25, 2014
RSI Handle
Egriz
I'm not into attaching third party things to my stuff, I prefer them to be part of the original equipment.
Well, that's a bit of a crap statement. How many of us have computers with 3rd party CPU coolers? Added video cards in the motherboard with integrated graphics? Adding an SSD to a computer? What about in ANY video game...upgrading gear..adding an attachment to a weapon or ship?

So..say you buy a "gaming headset". You spend $100 on it. Right off the bat, you get worse audio quality and worse microphone quality. I shouldn't have to go further than this, but for the sake of it, lets. So you have your $100 headset. You can deal with "meh" audio quality. And the microphone "works good enough".

What will get you a better quality product: A gaming headset that costs $100. So that's headphones, a microphone, marketing "surround sound" bullshit, and the branding cost under a $100 pricetag. Or a dedicated pair of quality headphones for $100? The more "Cost factors" you fit under a price tag, the worse quality you get.

So let's take that same headset you bought. Say you take good care of it...how long will the life be? 1-2 years? Maybe that? I haven't had a headset last more than 1 year before SOMETHING breaks. Whether the device physically breaks from cheap plastic, or the speakers, or mic fail. Gaming headsets are terribly made products that come from cheap factories in China.

Nearly every post about gaming headsets also mentions something bad about them. Or having to RMA them. Or do this..do that. My Sennheiser HD598s? Good as the day I bought them. Many of the high quality headphones are custom made in Germany (Sennheiser and Beryerdynamic, for example). So would you rather a product mass produced in a "lowest bidder" factory in China? Or actually cared about in Germany?

What happens with the mic on your headset breaks? That mic on your headset is probably worth $0.50. It is the single lowest quality item in the build. Right off the bat, the quality will be muffled...and soon enough, it'll become static. Then what? You replace the entire headset? Enjoy repeating that cycle once a year.

OR buy a high quality headphones, a DAC/AMP, and a mod-mid/zalman's clip-on/desktop mic, and be set for many, many years. Sure, you may spend a bit more upfront...but you'll waste more money buying multiple pairs of headsets and just get low quality item.

A bit ranty...so I apologize for that. But too many people are uneducated about headsets/headphones and waste so much money on terrible products.

Nosnah

Lieutenant
Dec 5, 2014
RSI Handle
Nosnah
Awesome, thanks everyone - I definitely have some options now.

Thanks for all your input.

Please feel free to keep posting as you find new products you enjoy.

Shar Treuse

Captain
Nov 24, 2014
RSI Handle
Shar Treuse
Well, that's a bit of a crap statement. How many of us have computers with 3rd party CPU coolers? Added video cards in the motherboard with integrated graphics? Adding an SSD to a computer? What about in ANY video game...upgrading gear..adding an attachment to a weapon or ship?
That's taking my statement a long way out of context and you know it. Headsets were never designed to have interchangeable parts, and flimsy glue-on mics are a long way from a CPU cooler fastened on by retaining clips that go into mounting holes designed into the motherboard. Good luck building a functional computer without a video card if it doesn't have one integrated, or gaming without a video card even when one is built-in...they were designed to work that way. Show me one headset that was designed to have an aftermarket mic stuck on it.

VS

Last edited:

Nosnah

Lieutenant
Dec 5, 2014
RSI Handle
Nosnah
UPDATE:

I purchased a pair of H2100 Corsairs at bestbuy (I knew half of it was a gimmick, but I was curious) - my synopsis? I returned them today. They had a constant white noise hiss in them (wireless signal) which wasn't all too noticeable during combat or most music. The mic sounded alright as I piped it back through the headset. My biggest gripe? You have to manually go into your sound settings every time you want to transition between your headset and speakers. They also pinched on my head at the top of the ear cuff. I could wear them a few hours before I had to switch to speakers, but the battery only seemed to last about 4 hours (far from the 8 hours advertised after a full charge). The 'surround sound' was also a huge rip off - I couldn't tell any difference in which direction the sound was coming from with the "7.1" turned on and it actually made most audio sound worse. My rating? 4/10...The wireless feature was great, but not worth the poor audio...nor the $80 price tag i found them for. I'd maybe pay $40 for them though.

My Sennheiser 558's arrived in the mail today - HOLY CRAP!!! I had to turn off my equalizer because the sound is so awesome as is! :D I am very happy with these things, they fit nice and I don't feel any pressure on my ears. I think these things are going to be great! My only comment on these guys is that the plug is a 6.35mm audio jack, but it does come with a 3.5mm adapter - just makes the plug stick out about 2"...and the length of the default cable is plenty long...and it's replaceable from the jack to the headphones themselves - if you wear out the cable you can replace them no problem! I rate these guys as 10/10!

From the online reviews the 518's have a pretty similar sound quality and a bit cheaper, but I also saw the 558's had a bit higher quality and softer material. I am happy with these Sennheisers 558's...only missing a mic now, but my sound quality is here!

Thanks to everyone who commented. If you find other alternatives that you enjoy please feel free to keep posting.

I'm still interested to hear how the Kingston HyperX Clouds are.

Egriz

Grand Pooh-Bear
Donor
Jan 25, 2014
RSI Handle
Egriz
UPDATE:

I purchased a pair of H2100 Corsairs at bestbuy (I knew half of it was a gimmick, but I was curious) - my synopsis? I returned them today. They had a constant white noise hiss in them (wireless signal) which wasn't all too noticeable during combat or most music. The mic sounded alright as I piped it back through the headset. My biggest gripe? You have to manually go into your sound settings every time you want to transition between your headset and speakers. They also pinched on my head at the top of the ear cuff. I could wear them a few hours before I had to switch to speakers, but the battery only seemed to last about 4 hours (far from the 8 hours advertised after a full charge). The 'surround sound' was also a huge rip off - I couldn't tell any difference in which direction the sound was coming from with the "7.1" turned on and it actually made most audio sound worse. My rating? 4/10...The wireless feature was great, but not worth the poor audio...nor the $80 price tag i found them for. I'd maybe pay $40 for them though.

My Sennheiser 558's arrived in the mail today - HOLY CRAP!!! I had to turn off my equalizer because the sound is so awesome as is! :D I am very happy with these things, they fit nice and I don't feel any pressure on my ears. I think these things are going to be great! My only comment on these guys is that the plug is a 6.35mm audio jack, but it does come with a 3.5mm adapter - just makes the plug stick out about 2"...and the length of the default cable is plenty long...and it's replaceable from the jack to the headphones themselves - if you wear out the cable you can replace them no problem! I rate these guys as 10/10!

From the online reviews the 518's have a pretty similar sound quality and a bit cheaper, but I also saw the 558's had a bit higher quality and softer material. I am happy with these Sennheisers 558's...only missing a mic now, but my sound quality is here!

Thanks to everyone who commented. If you find other alternatives that you enjoy please feel free to keep posting.

This...this brings great happiness to my life.

I am glad you are happy with your 558's :)

Reactions: Nosnah
S

svenrichter

UPDATE:

Now remember your mantra: "I cant get better audio quality than this. I cant get better audio quality than this..." Believe me you dont want to stray from that path or else you will go down a long and dark road, that will make your wallet long for the days of internet spaceships.

Reactions: Nosnah

Nosnah

Lieutenant
Dec 5, 2014
RSI Handle
Nosnah
Now remember your mantra: "I cant get better audio quality than this. I cant get better audio quality than this..." Believe me you dont want to stray from that path or else you will go down a long and dark road, that will make your wallet long for the days of internet spaceships.
Hahaha, these will keep me good for a while, but I can only imagine if they get better then top of the line must be...just - okay, I gotta stop now or this is going to end with crippling debt.

Exarkun007

Commander
Dec 12, 2014
RSI Handle
Exarkun007
My g930 I would rate as a meh. Sound is adequate, but the build quality is terrible. Mine already have several cracks, and my Mic is actually jb welded back together. Owned them less than a year and haven't had time to really research headsets and miss and such.

eaglemmoomin

Space Marshal
Nov 28, 2014
RSI Handle
eaglemmoomin
That's taking my statement a long way out of context and you know it. Headsets were never designed to have interchangeable parts, and flimsy glue-on mics are a long way from a CPU cooler fastened on by retaining clips that go into mounting holes designed into the motherboard. Good luck building a functional computer without a video card if it doesn't have one integrated, or gaming without a video card even when one is built-in...they were designed to work that way. Show me one headset that was designed to have an aftermarket mic stuck on it.

VS
Sorry to ressurect a zombie thread but I've been looking into this as I have some nice Sony wireless cans for travel and a set of HD600 for music and a cheaper pair of HD485 for gaming. Having been investigating gaming headsets the good ones all cost as much as a mid level set of hi fi headphones. So I figured how could I utilise my existing expensive higher quality headphones

I read the thread and then saw this post. I assume it's tongue in cheek or just ignorant of whats out there? For example HD600 Sennheisers can be completely taken apart and replacement parts are available to order.

I saw these three and thought they are a better solution than a cheap gaming headset

http://v-moda.com/boompro-microphone/

http://www.modmic.com/collections/modmic?view=list&sort_by=best-selling

https://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Zm-Mic1-Sensitivity-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B00029MTMQ

I'm going to pick up the v-moda I think in a few weeks and see how that goes with the HD485s

Iffadrim

Commander
Nov 24, 2016
RSI Handle
Iffadrim
It depends on how much do you want to spend and what do you expect from it?
Corded? Cordless? Surround sound? best quality for sound or mic? best comfort for wear?

Cheap, corded, good sound quality

Superlux HD681 + Zalman detachable Mic = together 30€

eaglemmoomin

Space Marshal
Nov 28, 2014
RSI Handle
eaglemmoomin
Trying to spend the minimum to get a semi decent preferably boom style mike. I already have a couple of decent quality headphones so I've only found those three options for a seperate mike. I'm leaning towards the v-moda because it will replace the headphone cable and both the Sony and the Sennheiser HD485 have 3.5mm jacks on them for cable replacment while the Sennheiser HD600 is not so simple if I want to use that then it's the Zalman or the AntLion. I'd like to know if there any other 'add on' options apart from the three I've found.

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
I see this is a successful necro attempt, so I'll add my $0.2 to it.
I've bought a pair of Creative Sound Blaster 3D Fury headphones, because the reviews were mostly positive and... they were red.
They suck. Don't buy them.

Forgot your password?