Is 4k worth it?

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
I thought 60fps was doable in 4k just really expensive?
Just about if you spend $3k.

What's the point of spending all that and failing to hit Vsync? Let alone the crazy 144hz monitor you also bought which you have no hope of hitting G sync on.

I guess you could turn all the details down to low but then....

What's the point of spending all that and having to turn your details down to low like the poor guy that has a $50 GTX1050?

We need to separate productivity and gaming here. For general PC use 4k is outstanding especially if you get a big TFT like 32"+

For gaming it is moronic. In 10 years time we will probably all be 4k on a $1000 pc. But now? No.

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
I have this

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0afwE6GVLQw

It checks all the boxes for me. 1440p, great color reproduction, high refresh rate, and gsync compatible. Aesthetically it's also not as 'gamer' looking as other competitors like the Acer Predator series. I find the gamer aesthetic not really to my tastes. I paired it with my 2080ti and AMD 3900x and running Star Citizen on it is absolutely gorgeous.

It's not 4k but I'm ok with that because I want my framerates.

There's a newer version of this series and it's even better.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5RTDiuus9E

Last edited:

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
What's the point of spending all that and failing to hit Vsync? Let alone the crazy 144hz monitor you also bought which you have no hope of hitting G sync on.
I would suggest waiting before making your decisions about monitors and cards.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
I would suggest waiting before making your decisions about monitors and cards.
Thing is people always say wait for the next best thing. How long to wait? 1 week? 1 month? 1 quarter? 1 year?

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
Yes, after careful consideration, I decided to hold off, I want to thank everyone for the input, I definitely learned a lot about getting into 4k, I don't want to drop 2500$ atm and I don't want to go half in either, looks like I will be waiting another year or so and see where its at. That said I decided to upgrade the tv bought a 65" 4k tv lol.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
Yes, after careful consideration, I decided to hold off, I want to thank everyone for the input, I definitely learned a lot about getting into 4k, I don't want to drop 2500$ atm and I don't want to go half in either, looks like I will be waiting another year or so and see where its at. That said I decided to upgrade the tv bought a 65" 4k tv lol.
this person has their priorities straight

one day there will be an affordable CPU/GPU combo that will drive that TV as a gaming monitor

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Good call.

4k monitors as gaming options just really aren't worth it right now. Keep an eye out for the next upgrade cycle from the manufacturers which is next year. New CPU offerings from both AMD and Intel not to mention Nvidia's 3080 cards and AMD's Big Navi GPUs.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Thing is people always say wait for the next best thing. How long to wait? 1 week? 1 month? 1 quarter? 1 year?
I generally suggest that people wait until they find exactly what they want to suit their needs with a look towards their reasonably near future & then for that to become a price that they are happy to spend for the value they feel it will provide over what they currently are using.

Reactions: Phil and Mich Angel

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
Normally I’d agree with this sentiment except when we’re expecting a brand new architecture of cards within a quarter.
I am eagerly waiting to see the capabilities of cards in the $200-$250 range this next generation

development is far enough along that I want to dip my toes in the water, as it were

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
on a computer 4k is awesome. if you get one with hdr even better. computer monitors benefit from 4k due to the range you are away from it. most people with 4k tv's cannot distinguish 4k after 10 ft away from it. they due still see i difference in color though. 4k has more subtle color details that can be seen further away. also as for older games that are not in 4k, a decent monitor will scale down to 1080p with no issues as 1080p is 1/4th of the 4k resolution. i recomend if your upgrading to go ahead and take the leap. its worth it on a computer.
Unless your TV is 70inchs lol you can definately see the difference at that point.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
I had a 4K screen and went back to 1440 because the performance increase was fairly large and the loss in quality was minimal or un-noticeable with a 27 inch screen at desktop distances.

Yes, there the quality is not QUITE as good, but when you are playing a FPS game with lots of movement, it’s not really something you will see as you might with a game like Civ or photography editors where the picture is mostly static. The increase in refresh on a 2k screen and the increased FPS though are much more important to Shooter games like SC.

Last edited:

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I had a 4K screen and went back to 1440 because the performance increase was fairly large and the loss in quality was minimal or un-noticeable with a 27 inch screen at desktop distances.

Yes, there the quality is not QUITE as good, but when you are playing a FPS game with lots of movement, it’s not really something you will see as you might with a game like Civ or photography editors where the picture is mostly static. The increase in refresh on a 2k screen and the increased FPS though are much more important to Shooter games like SC.
Yep FPS is still king.

LTT does a pretty good job of showing why.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX31kZbAXsA&t=1901s

Forgot your password?