Is anyone going to fly the Mustang, or will the Aurora be the -official- symbolic ship of TEST?

Zebulon

Ensign
Jan 2, 2014
RSI Handle
Count Zebulon M. Sinclair IX
The Mustang will be faster than the Aurora, but sacrifices durability, weapons, and cargo. It is made by an upstart company called Outland, which makes me imagine something like the hillbilly buggies I sometimes see when I visit Idaho...

Depending on how it will look, I think it may be a good fit with our type of humor.

"After finding initial success with spacecraft conversion kits, Outland is now ready to run with the big boys: the new Mustang spacecraft line is preparing to go into mass production is priced to compete with Roberts Space Industries’ Aurora. Using newly-developed construction techniques and ultralight material alloys sometimes considered unsafe, the Mustang pushes power ratios to the limit. The result is a sleek, stylish spacecraft that weighs less than the Aurora and has more options for engines and thrusters… at the expense of some stability, weapons hardpoints and cargo capacity."
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13358-Letter-From-The-Chairman-26-Million

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I have a feeling, depending on the design, that I will probably be flying the stang. I drove a 2000 Mustang for years, I feel I am part of the brand.

starkestrel

Space Marshal
Nov 3, 2013
RSI Handle
starkestrel
Depending on how it will look, I think it may be a good fit with our type of humor.
The Mustang may fit our aesthetic better, but the Aurora is ultimately a better single ship-type to base a fleet on, simply because of its modularity.

Not sure which is better for a drunken fleet, though, and nobody elected me Lt. Sober Strategist, so ignore my meandering and hand me the keys to that horse-ship.

Reactions: TekTrixter

Daiten Baou

Rear Admiral
Nov 2, 2013
RSI Handle
DaitenTryce
No thanks. I prefer my durability and weapons capabilities. Speed can mean next to nil if they get a solid trap on you, Handling and durability in an asteroid field will make a big difference. Now simple traveling... I'm inclined to the M50... but not entirely so, mostly because I've doubts it can go that fast without sacrificing maneuverability. Buy hey, if you can make the 'Stang dance, maybe you'll fare far better in it, than an Aurora.

SeungRyul

Spreader of Truth / Master of Hamsters
Staff member
Donor
Oct 30, 2013
RSI Handle
Citizen404
Of course we have to take into account that we don't really require official ships :) The Aurora is just a cheap little ship that has a low entry barrier for fun drunken roams. Who knows when we get rich enough we can start kamikazing Bengals while screaming "BRACE FOR IMPACT" in the shiny bridges of our hundreds of Idrises :D

TestBot

Ghost
Nov 2, 2013
RSI Handle
TestBot
I think the only reason that the Aurora is our "official" ship is that its low price means it is most suited for uncontrolled explosions and considering that we will probably have lots of those, it made a suitable joke.

As for other ships, when the game launches, we will have many different doctrines for different fleets. There is no "official" ship. Heck somewhere down the line we may eventually let people in who don't even have ship.

Flipper

Grand Moff of TEST Squardon
Nov 1, 2013
It really depends on both the stats of the ship as well as the looks, although to be fair probably mostly the looks. I'll be watching its progress with interest, but until we have more info (or at least some concept art) I can't say.

Flipper

Grand Moff of TEST Squardon
Nov 1, 2013
Warhammer 40k?

JoeCool4433

Wisdom-Master
Donor
Nov 20, 2013
RSI Handle
JoeCool777

Reactions: Loteus
Forgot your password?