Is game playble now?

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Yes and No. The game is playable, they fixed quite a bit, but your mileage may vary depending on the whim of CIG and the number of pirate interdictions they're running on that server.

They're running a test you see, to see what the effect of interdictions is, and it can be devastating to your game play experience. Or not. It totally depends on the server, and how many pirates are attacking Port Olisar and other players at that moment. What you're supposed to do as part of the test is, if you experience interdictions, fill out a survey to tell your experience. If you get more than 4 in 1 trip, send a video.

Problem is, the interdictions are per player experiences, so if you get 4 interdictoins, that's up to 20 extra ships in the instance PER PLAYER, and half of them or more are likely to be caterpillars. As a result, I've experienced FPS from 40 which is wonderful... all the way down to 2.5.

PrimeCronus

Admiral
Sep 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Nero_Genesys
Well...
This week was trying different days to start the game.
After launcher game starts and it's okay, but when i choose Universe and click "Play" it's just a black window and game is not loading. Somebody had this problem? Maybe you know how to solve it?

Reactions: Blind Owl

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
System specs please including that type of drive you are playing off of. M.2, SSD, spinner, etc. memory, memory speed, processor, GPU.

Reactions: Blind Owl

StdDev

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 16, 2017
RSI Handle
StdDev
After launcher game starts and it's okay, but when i choose Universe and click "Play" it's just a black window and game is not loading. Somebody had this problem? Maybe you know how to solve it?
The black screen is normal... as long as you can still hear the music in the background. The black screen shouldn't last more than a couple minutes.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
The black screen is normal... as long as you can still hear the music in the background. The black screen shouldn't last more than a couple minutes.
What he said. Something else you can do is hit the tilde key (the one with the ~ and ` on it beside the 1 on your keyboard. Don't hold shift, you want the ` character). This opens the console so you can see what's transpiring between you and the server. As long as it says

"[Lobby] KeepAlive after t [xxxx.xxxxxx] of inactivity" and doesn't report an error, the game is loading.

you can also type r_displayinfo 3 at the console prompt, or put r_DisplayInfo = 3 in a user.cfg file in the Live folder. This will display the "frame rate" as the game is loading. Note this is not the real frame rate, so don't worry if it says 1 fps from time to time. Your system is very busy loading the bits it needs out of a 40Gb compressed file.

AstroGimp01

Space Marshal
Jan 31, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroGimp01
I played last night for about 40 minutes, EU server at 11:30PM Pacific, settings 1440 Very High, FPS was steady in the mid 20's which is awesome for me - occasional and very short drops/stutters I assume related to massive pirate activity, but very playable from a purely mechanical or performance point of view.

BUT, there were literally pirates everywhere, 2 interdictions Olisar to Cry-Astro, 1 interdiction Cry-Astro to Cellin, pirates spawned at EVERY attempted landing site (3 places, right on top of the site as I was making my terminal approach), and in numbers I had no interest in engaging in my Penguin.

Decided I was not going to be able to make any monies under those conditions so set Cry-Astro in StarMap, 2 interdictions on way to Cry-Astro, 2 more on way from Cry-Astro to Olisar. All events started with one pirate but quickly spawned to 3 to 6 which for me was literally an unenjoyable mess.

I am impressed with the server performance under that kind of AI load - it spawned no less than 24 pirates against me, sometimes 6 or so at a time. I did not engage in combat except at the last interdiction at which point I had had enough and went after the Cat. When they interdict, it appears their shields are completely down (may be due to initial spawn condition) and I thought I might have a chance so I went in close and unloaded on it but jumped out when 5 of his buddies showed up in Gladii and Aurora LN's.

I do not frankly enjoy dakka dakka gameplay in SC right now so it ended up being a very disappointing night - it was beautiful, but not enjoyable since I had set out to recreate my fortune - had I been soloing the Connie I might not have actually made it out (will try that today).

Once I got back to Olisar it was steady at 17-20 FPS in 1440 so I did a test switch to 4K and saw only a 2-3 FPS drop once it stabilized.

They definitely are making major performance progress behind the curtain in my experience and this raises my hopes for 3.1 in particular.

'Gimp

AstroGimp01

Space Marshal
Jan 31, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroGimp01
Scored my first dogfight kill in 3.0.1 today, Connie Aquilla vs Pirate Cat. Got tired of the endless interdictions and took matters into my own hands.

It was like a slow motion mud wrestling match between 2 pregnant hippo's but I eventually got a good firing solution and hit it with about a half dozen missiles while hammering the aft shield with the big laser cannons - was a beautiful explosion.

Also earned a little over a half million aUEC on a few trade runs. Mostly ignoring the interdictions, select afterburner and power through, get about 10 Km away from the group (saw as many as 6 again) and resume QD. Expect two stops per jump leg on average.

Given the number of AI spawns going on, and the occasional fully loaded pirate Cat getting blown up right above Port O by the turrets (3 FPS but the visual was awesome, little boxes EVERYWHERE with the remnant carcass of the Cat drifting around) the servers were reasonably stable, FPS drops were very short lived but were taking it from high teens/low 20's (@1440) and cutting them in half.

Had more fun today than yesterday for sure.

'Gimp

Reactions: Deroth

smeggy

Space Marshal
Aug 28, 2015
RSI Handle
sm3ggy
Kinda goes off your definition of playable.

Can I sit at Port Olisar or Levsky, drink till the floor is my best friend, and then go find some green skinned women (or men)? For isn't that what man (or woman) dreamed of when they first looked at the sky? Hey Kiff, I'm asking you a question.
-Not yet

Can I go exploring moons, do space trucking, or some fighting?
-Yup.

Reactions: Deroth
Forgot your password?