Is the Tonk going to be completely useless?

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I saw this discussion on reddit and was curious about your thoughts too.

1612066763372.png

I think CIG is going to create some scenarios where ground vehicles reign supreme.

Some planet might have some sort of magical effect that makes it preferable, or even a rule that only ground vehicles can be used.

I think we see some creative ways for players to be using the Tonk!

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
I'm just hoping they really flesh out in game ground missions to be a sort of Theaters of War style for either a solo or group or raid of people. Then it'll all be worth it to me. Some long involved theme park quest like a chain of missions to really live on the planet for a few days.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
The Tonk is going to be vital to ground operations. Given large ships are going to have a hard time in atmosphere and smaller ships are going to be easily picked off by Ballista's and Cyclone's. We also know that ground installations are going to have heavy AA and while a Hercules A2 has the possibility of bombing it from afar CIG with theaters of war, CIG seems to be increasing the ground game and with that the Tonk becomes a force multiplier.

Play enough Battlefield to know that Air left uncheck will easily dominate any ground vehicles but add a well crewed AA and the Air advantage gets side lined. While ground vehicles can be countered by Soldiers they are limited in the ammo they can carry, the amount of damage they can do and secondary weapons making them not as effective counter other Soldiers.

But like all things it has its purpose and outside of a large scale ground assault or defense of a prized ground base they quickly loose their advantage. But given Art of War and the amount of energy they are spending on outposts I have a feeling ground combat is going to be just as much a part of SC as space combat.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
if there is a financial reason to control on-planet resources as opposed to just destroying them, tanks and other ground-based weapons will have a use case

otherwise it will be simpler and safer to just nuke 'em from orbit

at the risk of sounding like a broken record I will say again

CIG is providing us with tons of cool weapons of all kinds without giving us gameplay mechanics to incentivize deploying them against other players

are they building a competitive game or an economics sim?

Last edited:

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
I saw this discussion on reddit and was curious about your thoughts too.

View attachment 20204

I think CIG is going to create some scenarios where ground vehicles reign supreme.

Some planet might have some sort of magical effect that makes it preferable, or even a rule that only ground vehicles can be used.

I think we see some creative ways for players to be using the Tonk!
I dont' thing CIG will ever create some "forced enviroment" (AKA in-game laws) to promote the use of ground vehicles over ships, simply there will be situation where a ground vehicles will be preferrable over a ship.
Just for example: think of an area like Daymar, with canions and mountains but with a loow visibility do to cloud et similar. I'll prefer to use a gound vehicles to take over an outpost rather then a ships that need to fly slow not to crash and can be detected far away from AA systems...

For the same reasons you don't want to always use a bigger ship for mission I suppose there'll be situation you'll use a ground vehicles over a ship

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
Webster 2951: Definition of Tonk: Tanks sitting on an open carrier deck with no cover, no where to run, and which can fire mostly only laterally with limited line of sight.

But a Kraken lined with missile carrying vehicles ... hmm ... now that's interesting ... (*looks in buy backs ....*)

Honestly I feel like I 'want' a Tonk, I just dont know what to do with one?

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
We gonna be needin a lot of not-too-drunk Testies to park them all up on the deck using our gravity guns!

With the introduction of the new force-newtons-2nd-law system thingy, I wonder if you could propel the Kraken with the tonks shooting all in one direction...
If the ones pointing to the side all fire at once, will it roll the Kraken? lul

Anyways, I don't really see the tonk as useful at the moment. Not much point in ground engagements yet... But is it fun though? Probably Yes, Very!

Forgot your password?