Is there a "help the newb get their shit together" section?

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
So, finally got off my ass and decided to do more than just run around cities. Now, if I could just figure out how to get my ship off its ass, I would be getting somewhere :(
Welcome to the TEST party. I hope that as you get use to operating in & around the Verse, that your time in game is as wonderful for you as there are wild & wacky members of TEST Squadron. Cheers!

Sintha

Space Marshal
Sep 9, 2015
RSI Handle
Sintha
I wouldn't worry about the test disc server, far too inconsistent and folks mostly doing their own thing.

Get a guide, they're mostly excellent, chat over disc with them. Access from the enter universe screen

Last edited:

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
Step 1: Get a set of armor with a backpack
Step 2: Fill backpack with Beer
Step 3: Stow away on random people's ships and drink your beer while hidden in the engineering compartment
Step 4: Repeat step 3 until caught or blacked out

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
@Sintha called it, use the guide system to connect with someone who genuinely wants to help.

TEST Discord ain't a bad place, you'll probably get a reasonable answer. But the guide's will massively accelerate your gameplay.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I wouldn't worry about the test disc server, far too inconsistent and folks mostly doing their own thing.

Get a guide, they're mostly excellent, chat over disc with them. Access from the enter universe screen
Once somebody joins this org, the most important step and the biggest hurdle we face is getting them active with the rest of our guys.

You drop into our discord, go to a voice channel and tell them you are new, there is ALWAYS somebody willing to help.

Mio Fujii

Commander
Donor
Sep 15, 2023
RSI Handle
Mio_Fujii
The Guide system was a bust. First one at least almost responded, then dropped me and left. Other 2 apparently ignored, or at least didn't see, my request. I have done the tutorial 3 times, successfully, but for some reason my Prospector refused to leave the ground. Tried for about 15min, then gave up and stored it. Not really sure if the keybind changes were messing with my HOTAS or if the ship was bugged.

Now that my work week has started (technically started yesterday but called out) I won't have much, if any, time to go into SC past a little time today.

I need to set up my Mic. I live in an apartment building, so tend to not use it so I don't annoy the neighbors. I did just get the "voice command" software so will need to set it up for that. That and I need to figure out the settings for it, last time I used it (actually for a SC Org "interview") I basically sounded, to the other person, like I was yelling into a garbage can.

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
The Guide system was a bust. First one at least almost responded, then dropped me and left. Other 2 apparently ignored, or at least didn't see, my request. I have done the tutorial 3 times, successfully, but for some reason my Prospector refused to leave the ground. Tried for about 15min, then gave up and stored it. Not really sure if the keybind changes were messing with my HOTAS or if the ship was bugged.

Now that my work week has started (technically started yesterday but called out) I won't have much, if any, time to go into SC past a little time today.

I need to set up my Mic. I live in an apartment building, so tend to not use it so I don't annoy the neighbors. I did just get the "voice command" software so will need to set it up for that. That and I need to figure out the settings for it, last time I used it (actually for a SC Org "interview") I basically sounded, to the other person, like I was yelling into a garbage can.
Sorry to hear this... even with the other issues you list, it's never a happy thing to learn about a negative experience. As the boss man pointed out, TEST Discord is our internal place to show up and ask questions. That would be easier with a microphone.! :)

Keybinds were changed this patch cycle, the most annoying of which IS the throttle. So that is probably why you weren't able to lift off.

Last edited:

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya

Go to our discord and DM CMDR Sheppard, he will guide you!

B60_Rick

Lieutenant
Oct 12, 2023
RSI Handle
B60_Rick
I can help. I am by no means an expert ace pilot but I have been playing for a couple years now. I'm not in the ORG yet so not sure if I am overstepping my bounds but I am in the discord and here. Message me if you want to.

RoosterRage

Vice Admiral
Donor
Jul 16, 2022
RSI Handle
RoosterRage

When it comes to a HOTAS just remember that any inversion settings will be split , so for instance HOTAS 1 will be your stick and HOTAS 2 will be your throttle.

Mio Fujii

Commander
Donor
Sep 15, 2023
RSI Handle
Mio_Fujii
So, I was able to get my ship out and do a little flying around. I still think I was bugged yesterday. I decided to go on the PTU, since anything there isn't really my "main" stuff. The tutorial was available again, so did that first. No issues past a couple of my HOTAS buttons being hit by the keybind change. Need to look into how to update them. Then decided to try the task I wanted to do in the PU: taking my Prospector to Seraphym station. No major issues past a little trouble getting the route to set and the afore mentioned keybind changes. I plan on doing some mining on Daymar, once I can find the modules I want for the new laser head I picked up in PU. Need to find a mining store that sells the modules I am looking for (have them marked down, but don't have access to my list at the moment).

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
So, I was able to get my ship out and do a little flying around. I still think I was bugged yesterday. I decided to go on the PTU, since anything there isn't really my "main" stuff. The tutorial was available again, so did that first. No issues past a couple of my HOTAS buttons being hit by the keybind change. Need to look into how to update them. Then decided to try the task I wanted to do in the PU: taking my Prospector to Seraphym station. No major issues past a little trouble getting the route to set and the afore mentioned keybind changes. I plan on doing some mining on Daymar, once I can find the modules I want for the new laser head I picked up in PU. Need to find a mining store that sells the modules I am looking for (have them marked down, but don't have access to my list at the moment).
Glorious to hear!

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to raise them here, we may even know the answer!

And remember, there is no question to silly, in fact I challenge you to beat mine: My first game related question when I finally got a PC capable of running the game was "how do I get off the toilet?"

I'd sat down on the can in my Connie and 100% legit couldn't get off again. Tapped every button on the keyboard like I was sending a message in morse-code, had to log off and in again to get off the bog.

Turns out in that patch you had to press and hold "F".

If you can beat "how to get off the toilet?" I'll give you an Internet Point!

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
The 1st time I tried to lift off in my 1st ship from the pad at Port O back around 2.6 (I believe), I tapped the space bar & without touching anything else, my ship reacted like 1 of those swirling gyroscope things astronauts use. Not only did my screen make me crazy dizzy trying to see what was happening, but my ship hit something, bounced off & pad rammed another ship hard enough that they both exploded. I walked away from trying to fly for about a couple years until 3.0 was released. I still ran around in game like a lunatic though.

Forgot your password?