Item Permanence

NomadicHavoc

Commander
Nov 19, 2023
RSI Handle
NomadicHavoc
Has CIG addressed what happens when your character is killed and your purchased items are looted? Can the enemy player loot those items? If yes, can a player re-gain access to those looted items that were paid for with cash?

They've recently stated that there may be tiered items (i.e., common, uncommon, rare, epic and legendary). What happens if you raid a base and earn a legendary weapon but then die the following day and the item is looted. Will you loose that item permanently?

Since CIG confirmed that some level of crafting will be in game, do you think we'll be able to find rare items/minerals over the course of perhaps months and then craft a rare helmet with certain benefits? What would happen if that item were looted? Would we loose it permanently?

If all of this is up in the air at the moment, how do you think item permanence should work in SC?

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
Has CIG addressed what happens when your character is killed and your purchased items are looted? Can the enemy player loot those items? If yes, can a player re-gain access to those looted items that were paid for with cash?

They've recently stated that there may be tiered items (i.e., common, uncommon, rare, epic and legendary). What happens if you raid a base and earn a legendary weapon but then die the following day and the item is looted. Will you loose that item permanently?

Since CIG confirmed that some level of crafting will be in game, do you think we'll be able to find rare items/minerals over the course of perhaps months and then craft a rare helmet with certain benefits? What would happen if that item were looted? Would we loose it permanently?

If all of this is up in the air at the moment, how do you think item permanence should work in SC?
Good questions, not a lot of solid answers available yet.

Yes, your gear is lootable. How persistent it will be for the person doing the looting is an open question. I.E. stolen ships disappear when the thief logs out and it is possible that real money FPS gear could go the same route. Having said that, when and if the corpse marker code is fixed you'll have the option of recovering your gear in person.

As to replacing that paid gear you lost when you died, there was a statement recently that the upcoming Freight Elevators will have functionality for this purpose. I've not seen details yet on how that might work but given how much of it is out there this is LONG overdue.

During the base-building presentation at CitCon Todd Papy included some information about crafting. Strongly recommend a watch if you haven't already.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane

Yes, at CitizenCon this year, I seem to recall CIG discussed that they are thinking of adding a terminal inside the personal hangars or that can perform insurance claims on the cash bought account hangar items. It's still up in the air currently, so I've only been using gear that I can easily purchase in game until the solution is working in game.

As for found items, if you get it taken from you before you can retrieve it from your downed body, it's in the hands of somebody else.

Yes, CIG has stated that there will be some sort of crafting in SC, but I'm not sure to what degree they have in mind at this point & I'm pretty sure that they don't either because they're mainly focused on getting SQ42 completed & released.

NomadicHavoc

Commander
Nov 19, 2023
RSI Handle
NomadicHavoc
@Ayeteeone Yep, that was my understanding as well regarding Freight Elevators. I only remember that CIG vaguely referenced this and the specifics were completely unclear to me. Wasn't sure if there was some further insights into how the looting mechanic will ultimately work for the looter and those being looted.

For example, I can imagine that if you found a legendary weapon or armor piece then other players may be enticed to perpetually gank you any time you use/wear that item if they can take it from you permanently or even temporarily (i.e., until they log out for the day). I almost wonder if it might be better if purchased items, or rare/epic/legendary items could be bound to your player and non-lootable...or if these kinds of items are looted they'd function as a common item in their hands. They could, for example, explain this as the item being DNA bound to the player. So, either they just couldn't take the item off player corpses or the item would be relatively useless/non-functioning for them. Then players could regain access to that item in their Freight Elevator.

Dunno, the best way to work this out?

If I remember correctly, Todd Papy talked about crafting bases which is super exciting. For crafted homes/bases, they indicated that there would be different levels of risk/reward depending on what is important to you. I really like that idea, but now that you mention it, do you feel that enemy players/guilds should be able to take over your high risk/high reward bases? I think that they should be able cause significant damage to the base, but not entirely destroy or take ownership of. Thoughts?

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
I love speculative thinking if you can't tell :o7:
A fun way to pass the time, especially with a whiskey in hand :)

Given the formal announcement of base building + crafting, the extensive amount of ground vehicles in a space game, the reality of multiple drop ships and the new gravity-well-only bombers.. I think your answer lies somewhere in there. We are going to be able to make stuff, find stuff, gain it through reputation, or steal it from places/players. Details to follow, but fully expect your shiny new home base to be a target under certain circumstances. I'd guess they might take a route similar to what EvE used or uses; allow windows of time where it is vulnerable to be attacked. How or what that mechanism might be they probably haven't decided yet.

I didn't sign up for a ground-based fps game.. a zillion boring takes on that available. But there are aspects of it that are appealing, and it could lend some depth to why we are doing the other things in the game.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I didn't sign up for a ground-based fps game.. a zillion boring takes on that available. But there are aspects of it that are appealing, and it could lend some depth to why we are doing the other things in the game.
The good news is that depending on how you choose to play, you won't be required to engage in ground based FPS. However, by choosing to avoid it, you will definitely be missing out on various things that will happen across the Verse.

Reactions: Ayeteeone

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
Does the store the firearm on your ship still work?
How about store the armor on a Mule?
Don't and won't own a Mule, so can't speak to that..

Otherwise YES, item persistence on the ships is working quite well under normal play. Weapon racks and internal storage have happily persisted between sessions. 30k's still give random results, which is probably dependent on what caused the crash.

The good news is that depending on how you choose to play, you won't be required to engage in ground based FPS. However, by choosing to avoid it, you will definitely be missing out on various things that will happen across the Verse.
The FPS stuff has been integrated to the game; as it should be given the scope of what CR and his team are trying to do. But this wasn't the original pitch and there is still a question at times why SO much emphasis is being put on it now. If you look at the shifts in ship design philosophy it's apparent that ground/fps gameplay has been on an increasing rise in importance over the years; I wonder if that is due to how the storyline in SQ42 plays out.

I also made that statement after about two weeks of running FPS missions around Stanton, logging a lot of seat/medbed time in my C8R while testing new locations and the fps weapon changes.

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane
Forgot your password?