It's been bugging me for a while, but what's the arm on the Pioneer for?

StdDev

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 16, 2017
RSI Handle
StdDev
You're all wrong: it's obviously used as a giant can opener for cracking into the Beerfarer.

Because what the fuck is the use of having an outpost without having copious amounts of beer?
What you say, while true, all fits under Printimus' theory...
.. and I quote "stuff, with things" is obviously implying that opening BeerFarers is its function solely because an outpost without beer would be not only criminal but in addition a tragedy !

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Gigantic Robotic Middlefinger
While I really like this idea...

That might be true, though the current size of the pad certainly won't fit a constellation, let alone a Starfarer. I do think your idea that the arm should be able to receive materials from nearby has merit though, since that can easily be solved by using drones, or just use a interface type pad around the arm to allow pilots to land, access the cargo transfer menu, then unload directly into the Pioneer.
This is more like how I see it too. It could function as a primary loading dock, with the more "courier entrance" being on the landing pad. The missing component in all this is, how exactly would we move heavy cargo out of a Starfarer or Caterpillar? I suppose we could slide it out of the Starfarer, but the Caterpillar with legs extended... there's a bit of a drop, you know? I'm not sure that's going to work so well on heavy gravity planets even with a Starfarer. Think we need a forklift?

Tealwraith

Heresy detector
Donor
May 31, 2017
RSI Handle
Tealwraith
The arm has to be deployed before opening up and operating the Pioneer and stowed again before take off. The extra time this takes is designed to make the Pioneer especially helpless to attack when on the ground. It's called BALANCE.

Gabgrave

Grand Admiral
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Gabgrave
The arm has to be deployed before opening up and operating the Pioneer and stowed again before take off. The extra time this takes is designed to make the Pioneer especially helpless to attack when on the ground. It's called BALANCE.
That's the thing, in the latest Jump Point, af few of the alpha designs actually show that the arm was used to allow the hull to be extended along it, giving it a larger interior construction space for the modules. At the moment though, it just looks like a rather dingy :thumbsup:

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
What you say, while true, all fits under Printimus' theory...
.. and I quote "stuff, with things" is obviously implying that opening BeerFarers is its function solely because an outpost without beer would be not only criminal but in addition a tragedy !
Fair enough. I'll drink to that...

....so long as the beerfarer has been tapped, haha.

Forgot your password?