Its official, my computer is done. Time to upgrade.

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
How is that 256gb SSD so cheap?
It's probably lower quality. Unlike HDD's, there's a big difference in performance between SDD's depending on the brand. Kingston Hyper X is probably the best you could ask for for any sort of reasonable price point. Regardless, the only difference it will make, even with a top of the line one, is cutting particularly long loading times down by about 30-40 seconds. It will also make your PC cold boot faster, as if that mattered. It, and any other hard drive, will have absolutely zero effect on what settings the game is rendered on, your FPS, or how good your connection is. The only thing it's truly useful for is if you partition it and use the entire thing exclusively as a drive for your OS. That improves access times and various other factors considerably. In essence, unless you want to run your OS on it, this is really an after-build upgrade, to be bought AFTER you've built your PC and have everything you need running on an actually reliable hard drive system.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
It's probably lower quality. Unlike HDD's, there's a big difference in performance between SDD's depending on the brand. Kingston Hyper X is probably the best you could ask for for any sort of reasonable price point. Regardless, the only difference it will make, even with a top of the line one, is cutting particularly long loading times down by about 30-40 seconds. It will also make your PC cold boot faster, as if that mattered. It, and any other hard drive, will have absolutely zero effect on what settings the game is rendered on, your FPS, or how good your connection is. The only thing it's truly useful for is if you partition it and use the entire thing exclusively as a drive for your OS. That improves access times and various other factors considerably. In essence, unless you want to run your OS on it, this is really an after-build upgrade, to be bought AFTER you've built your PC and have everything you need running on an actually reliable hard drive system.
You are right, I could not care much about cold boot times, but why does everybody insist you need to have an SSD for better game performance?

chrizz

Digital Janitor
Staff member
Officer
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
chrizz
You are right, I could not care much about cold boot times, but why does everybody insist you need to have an SSD for better game performance?
well loading times are improved so you could say "better game performance" ^^

Thrashdog

Captain
Nov 26, 2013
RSI Handle
Thrashdog
How is that 256gb SSD so cheap?
It's probably lower quality.
@GrammarGestapo, You might want to check the reviews before you throw out claims like that. Crucial has a solid reputation and they're a brand of Micron, who make all their flash chips in a joint venture with Intel (who you may have heard of before :p). The 512GB MX100 sits right at the price/performance sweetspot. I will throw out a bit of a mea culpa here -- I forgot that they don't have enough flash chips on the 256GB version to saturate all the controller's lanes, so its write performance is pretty blah, but it's still good on read. A better option might be to pick up a Samsung 840 EVO now that they're on clearance pricing to make way for the 850 series drives.

The reason I recommend SSDs is because they make *everything* faster whenever something has to hit storage. Level load times, file save times, video editing, swap/virtual memory, you name it. A decent SSD can make a decrepit-feeling old machine feel fast again, even if it doesn't have enough system memory to avoid hitting swap space, and real-world testing shows that you'd have to be rewriting the entire drive on a near-daily basis for three or four years before you'd start wearing anything out.

Last edited:
Reactions: o-BHG-o

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
@GrammarGestapo, You might want to check the reviews before you throw out claims like that. Crucial has a solid reputation and they're a brand of Micron, who make all their flash chips in a joint venture with Intel (who you may have heard of before :p). The 512GB MX100 sits right at the price/performance sweetspot. I will throw out a bit of a mea culpa here -- I forgot that they don't have enough flash chips on the 256GB version to saturate all the controller's lanes, so its write performance is pretty blah, but it's still good on read. A better option might be to pick up a Samsung 840 EVO now that they're on clearance pricing to make way for the 850 series drives.

The reason I recommend SSDs is because they make *everything* faster whenever something has to hit storage. Level load times, file save times, video editing, swap/virtual memory, you name it. A decent SSD can make a decrepit-feeling old machine feel fast again, even if it doesn't have enough system memory to avoid hitting swap space, and real-world testing shows that you'd have to be rewriting the entire drive on a near-daily basis for three or four years before you'd start wearing anything out.
I wasn't familiar with the brand, but I generally follow the "you get what you pay for" trend with new products. I'll look into them. I have a 10,000 RPM hard drive (as you can tell, I'm a little skeptical of SSD's), but I've been thinking of getting one. That one is at a great a price.

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice

Thrashdog

Captain
Nov 26, 2013
RSI Handle
Thrashdog
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/brfH7P

My computer is also getting a bit slow, so I think I'm going to waste away most of my money getting something extremely overly powerful for what it's going to be used for.
I can't say I'd recommend a build that relied on Crossfire. AMD's dual-GPU solutions haven't proven to be good value for money, and they still seem to have more driver issues with frame pacing and game support. AMD has some great single GPU options, but if you really want dual cards (or two chips on one card) I'd go with the green team.

ericman2001

Space Marshal
May 11, 2014
RSI Handle
Phlox_Lennelluc
The reason I recommend SSDs is because they make *everything* faster whenever something has to hit storage. Level load times, file save times, video editing, swap/virtual memory, you name it. A decent SSD can make a decrepit-feeling old machine feel fast again
This right here. Comparing my SSD equipped computer to my non-SSD equipped computer is night and day.

I can't say I'd recommend a build that relied on Crossfire.
In this same vein, I can't recommend an SLI setup for Arena Commander presently either. I'm getting some crazy things going on with it on my GTX 770s.

stefmor90

Vice Admiral
Mar 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Valihanth
I can't say I'd recommend a build that relied on Crossfire. AMD's dual-GPU solutions haven't proven to be good value for money, and they still seem to have more driver issues with frame pacing and game support. AMD has some great single GPU options, but if you really want dual cards (or two chips on one card) I'd go with the green team.
R9 295 X2 isn't the same as the R9 290X. R9 295 X2 is a multithousand dollar card whilst the former is just over $500. For that reason, I have no idea what troubles 2 R9 290X's could have in CF, and other than that, the only problem remaining is the driver problems; which ought to be fixed soon... right?

...right?

SeungRyul

Spreader of Truth / Master of Hamsters
Staff member
Donor
Oct 30, 2013
RSI Handle
Citizen404
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/brfH7P

My computer is also getting a bit slow, so I think I'm going to waste away most of my money getting something extremely overly powerful for what it's going to be used for.
Personally I'd skimp out on buying a sound card considering MSI Gaming 7 has insanely good sound, I have the gaming 5 and I was blown away (especially with the sound blaster fx software). You know folks over at MSI are proud of it when they dedicate literally the entire product page with how lovely their sound is :P

Reactions: stefmor90

stefmor90

Vice Admiral
Mar 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Valihanth
Personally I'd skimp out on buying a sound card considering MSI Gaming 7 has insanely good sound, I have the gaming 5 and I was blown away (especially with the sound blaster fx software). You know folks over at MSI are proud of it when they dedicate literally the entire product page with how lovely their sound is :p
Wait... What?

A MoBo with built in sound support?

Last edited:
Reactions: SeungRyul

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice

KingNewbs

Space Marshal
Jun 14, 2014
RSI Handle
KingNewbs
I was putting together the video for the Xian scout giveaway.

Lots of splicing, splitting, editing audio and adding video clips. My computer must be out of memory because some parts of the video turned out black instead of showing the clip that is supposed to be in there.

At https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_6rtDh-gV0#t=92 there is supposed to be a clip from Zoolander, but no video shows, just audio.

I wanted to hold off as long as possible, but it looks like I will be needing to upgrade this month.

@DirtyScoundrel suggests: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LLNvqs

What do you think?
Are you using Sony Vegas? Here's something to help get rid of the black spots if you are. For every video you do, every single one, once you are 100% finished editing. Save the project, close Vegas, and re-open. Then open your project and render.

KingNewbs

Space Marshal
Jun 14, 2014
RSI Handle
KingNewbs
Oh, and as for the upgrade: even buying the 770 you're probably still going to want a new graphics card by the time Star Citizen comes out... so I'd recommend downsizing the card and putting $50-$100 of that into a faster CPU like an i7. That'll last you several more years unlike the graphics card.

Forgot your password?