I've decided to start playing again!

Dygon

Space Marshal
Feb 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Dygon
Atleast that's what I was hoping for... I played Star Citizen a couple of months ago when you could only walk around in your hanger and fly around a bit.
Some of you might remember me from this vid I made and posted bakc then (
)

Anyway, I'd heard there had been a lot of changes and decided to check it out. So I updated my game, and wanted to go in.
Now before, I could play the game, no trouble. I had imagined that in the past 10 months they'd optimized the game a lot and added a lot of features. It would seem though, they only did the latter...
My graphics are set to low and even still, the game is just locking up like crazy. Is the game just not optimized at all or am I really the only one having this problem?

JagerVII

Vice Admiral
Dec 13, 2015
RSI Handle
JagerVII
having the same problem. I changed the resolution some times, ended up with 1680x1050 and medium graphic settings.
Game runs smooth as hell now and no, the game is not optimized, its still an alpha :-D

besides i always use the commands r_motionblur 0 and r_vsync 0 when i play the game

Dygon

Space Marshal
Feb 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Dygon
Thanks for the tips. I tried to do the commands, but when I did, it said "restricted" and I don't think it actually did do it? Any idea how to fix this?

JagerVII

Vice Admiral
Dec 13, 2015
RSI Handle
JagerVII
should still work. Restricted just means that the settings are not saved, as far as i know.

Me personally would rather use a user.cfg, but as far as i remember the QA guys von CIG pleased to not use a .cfg in order of some difficulties with it.

Dygon

Space Marshal
Feb 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Dygon
I don't get it though, did both those things, didn't help one bit... Also, isn't a game supposed to start running smoother :p? As you can see in the video above, the game was running smooth as eggs 10 months ago, now I can't even play for 10 seconds without it constantly locking up... :(

rogesh

Space Marshal
Oct 25, 2014
RSI Handle
rogesh
Well they added lots of features so they have to optimize those again... And since it's not been even two week's since the official release it sure as hell isn't going to run perfekt :D
At least not for everyone. It's running fine on my pc. I get about 1-2 hour playtime before it crashes and runs relatively smooth with the occasional drop to ~14 fps for a few seconds

Arrangingstars

Space Marshal
Nov 21, 2014
RSI Handle
Arrangingstars
Welcome back Dygon!

So, we have to keep in mind this is not a full game release yet. This is a fraction of the game - a very small fraction. This fraction has been recently added, and when you add a bunch of new stuff there are going to be even more bugs! Since this is an alpha, and everyone who is a backer goes into it knowing they are backing an unfinished/unpolished game, there are going to be iterations upon iterations of the game which are normally buggy and unpleasing. However, this a huge step in game development. Without us bug testing it would take CIG much longer to find some of these bugs and thereby take a lot more time to release the game without our help. Any game you go into which is alpha, will always be buggy, every new patch that releases will have bugs. It is the basis of which they build the game. It takes time and a lot of patience, but the strides they have been making recently are huge. We should also give CIG a huge thumbs up for letting us behind the scenes to Alpha Test the game - most AAA games don't do this, or do it much later in what most people know as beta - which is a much less buggy, albeit still buggy, version of the game. So when they add new and very buggy content, both the devs and us backers test it and submit bug reports, those bugs get fixed. Once that's done, they add more content which is, once again, buggy, and we rinse and repeat til we have an almost complete and almost bug-free game.

So, that's just a simple explanation as to how some of the development pipelines work for Alphas. Awesome video by the way!! Hope to see you around. Feel free to join us on Discord (VOIP) anytime. You can find the Discord Widget on the homepage of this website. :D

Dygon

Space Marshal
Feb 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Dygon
I was trying to play the lift off tutorial, apperently it's just the tutorials that are buggy as hell. Everything else does run quite smoothly, even in 1080p. Note to self...don't get out of ship while in space... :p

Reactions: Arrangingstars
Forgot your password?