Jump point for the Terrapin

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
Could someone please explain to me why the Terrapin costs $190? Wasn't it supposed to be a starter ship? A heavily armored one, but still.
$10 short of a Hull C? A Dragonfly short of a Connie A?

Adiran

Admiral
Mar 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Adiran
Could someone please explain to me why the Terrapin costs $190? Wasn't it supposed to be a starter ship? A heavily armored one, but still.
$10 short of a Hull C? A Dragonfly short of a Connie A?
It was originally designed as a starter ship. Now however it is a specialized ship like the Prospector. I never heard them call it a starter after the redesign tho. I guess it is a starter ship for a specific profession.

The prospector is the "starter" mining ship as it's the smallest ship specifically designed for mining. The largest being the Orion.

The terrapin is the "starter" ship for exploration since its the smallest one specifically designed for it. The largest being the carrack.

Why it's 190 well i guess why not? people will and have paid that much for it so who are we to question why they chose that amount. lol. I got mine in the package and considering the price of the other ships in it I got mine for roughly 120 due to the package. I already had all the other ships in it so i melted them and only spend that much to get them back and the terrapin.

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
The Terrapin has become too specific to be a starter ship anymore. A starter ship should fill in basic, clear defined roles but nevertheless be usable for multiple purposes. The Terrapin in opposite is a very special ship with very special tasks. Thus it probably would only lead to frustration when bought by a SC starter/newbie.

Reactions: supitza and Varku

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
The terrapin is the "starter" ship for exploration since its the smallest one specifically designed for it. The largest being the carrack.
Thats not 100% correct. The Terrapin is not meant for exploration as the DUR, Aquila or Carrack are designed for. Its more a data collection vessel. It has no - 0,0 - storage space, it will steer like a Starfarer, has no/minor fighting cap/abilities. The only thing it can do is deep space scans for collecting data. It is not meant to land on planets, collect stones or whatever a DUR or Aquila can do. And it is not meant to find new jumpholes, like a Carrack can do. A Terrapin scans - and that she can do better, more detailed and far wider than any other ship. When the Terrapin does scanning operations, it has a huge, major signature. Because she can't run away or defend herself when being discovered by enemies - which should not happen normally - she can shut any systems and devices off and hide herself under huge plates. Thats what gives her the name "Terrapin". For some time she will be able to avoid any signature.

Adiran

Admiral
Mar 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Adiran
Thats not 100% correct. The Terrapin is not meant for exploration as the DUR, Aquila or Carrack are designed for. Its more a data collection vessel. It has no - 0,0 - storage space, it will steer like a Starfarer, has no/minor fighting cap/abilities. The only thing it can do is deep space scans for collecting data. It is not meant to land on planets, collect stones or whatever a DUR or Aquila can do. And it is not meant to find new jumpholes, like a Carrack can do. A Terrapin scans - and that she can do better, more detailed and far wider than any other ship. When the Terrapin does scanning operations, it has a huge, major signature. Because she can't run away or defend herself when being discovered by enemies - which should not happen normally - she can shut any systems and devices off and hide herself under huge plates. Thats what gives her the name "Terrapin". For some time she will be able to avoid any signature.
Data collection is the job of Herald. Collect and intercept data and get it back safely.

No the terrapin cannot lock cargo boxes down to the floor but it can indeed land on a planet pick up a few rocks and return with them floating around in the back. Considering they are having artificial gravity in ships to id say it wont be floating around a whole lot either. It's more than capable of doing everything the DUR can do with the only exception being carrying cargo grates in magnetic locking bays.

The thing about it not being able to find jump points is also wrong. If that was the case then the only ships capable of finding them will be the 315P and the Carrack since those 2 are the only ones with gear specifically designed for finding them. In that case why would you use any other ships? The 315P has scanners specifically set up to find them and the Carrack has a "super computer" or sorts designed to crunch data quickly and a sensor package designed to map the jump point, aka the path threw it without getting blown up or lost. see video below.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK7bmlCP6F8

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn5FBGfXACM

The reason I labeled it a "starter" of the exploration line is because when you want to do it full time and hard core this is the smallest ship designed specifically for it. The 315P is a fast luxury ship with small cargo ability and good combat potential that had scanners set up for 1 thing only... jump point finding (not mapping). The Beta is a motorhome of sorts with comforts and amenities on a fast nimble design that had scanners thrown on it. The Aurora ES/LX are small 1 man cargo ships with scanners slapped on and called an exploration ship. The Dur is a cargo ship modified to house more sophisticated scanners and called and exploration ship.

The Aquila and Carrack are long range exploration ships designed for a crew and set up to be capable of extended land operations far from the landing site of the main craft as well as overhead coverage in the form of a snub craft. They are designed with the intent of doing anything and everything they may or may not need when they need it.

The terrapin is designed to do 1 thing extremely well and that is to scan. That does not make it just a data collection platform. It also has long rage ability, sleeping quarters, good defence in case of a bad situation, ability to land and bring back small objects, a small 2 man crew if necessary, and was designed from the ground up to handle any situation that arises. That is why it's an exploration ship.

And there are only 2 real signatures in the game that are dependant upon the ship's output. That is IR and EM. IR is from the heat of engines and things of that nature. EM is from the power plant and shields and that kind of thing. The other one is radar or cross section and that is the silhouette of your ship. You can indeed be scanning a system leaving yourself little to no signature at all in those 2 areas. The devs have stated this before.
from QnA 2
"it’s worth noting that you can affect your craft’s signature by choosing which systems to power up or down. Almost every ship will have a larger signature when its power plant and shield generator are running hot; the Terrapin may have the signature of a larger ship when its shields are up, but not so much when the shields are down and the power plant dialed back – a common occurrence when the Terrapin and its crew are “listening” as opposed to fighting."
"In short, when a Terrapin crew is “stalking” or “shadowing” enemy movement, not only would a good crew attenuate the ship’s energy signature, the Terrapin’s sensors have a pretty good shot at picking up a small signature farther away than an actively hunting fighter would be able to detect a savvy Terrapin."

Forgot your password?