Just a little fiction I wrote. The Story of Renshnard.

Renshnard

Vice Admiral
Dec 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Renshnard
The year was 2681... Yeah I know that's over 200 almost 300 years ago and I don't look any older than 30, but stay with me here.

I was sitting at the edge, looking out past Orion wondering if there were more jump points out there shrouded by the thick cold black. You might ask yourself why was I. Why was Renshnard all the way out there? And, yes I was named after the 4 headed mercury lake beast of Xi’an mythos.

Ok, to recap. I, Renshnard was in the Orion system contemplating a suicidal deep space run to try and find my own Jump Point.

"Big bucks come to those who are willing to risk the biscuit." Pappy always said, but then again Pappy was a spice fiend who thought the Xi'an were the Creator from the Old Bible of Earth.

Any how, I was on my third strike and trying to stay under the radar. If the UEE found me this time, I would be up for a nice long probably permanent prison stretch on a mining rig somewhere. I had already done 5 years in the G Pit. A maximum security joint nestled away in class 2 gravity well. Easy enough to enter but impossible to leave without a large engine battery behind you. G-Pit supplied the UEE with all the raw rocks it could need and we the unlawful with all the work force they could handle.

The first two strikes were for borrowing ships. I never kept them, I temporarily took possession of them, but I guess the law doesn't make that distinction. The third was a bit more macabre. I made the mistake of breaking into what I thought was an empty storage facility tucked far out of orbit. The Kuzahi mafia was using the facility as a Xi'an genetic material harvesting plant. In those days there was a large demand for Xi'an tech and people parts. Some wanted them to study, others sought it out as an aphrodisiac. What it was for didn't and doesn't matter, because it came from the needless death of sentient life. They would kidnap and kill any Xi'an they could, then chop them up like animals, parting them out like steaks and then putting the leftovers in a blender to make a creams and powders to be sold as cure-alls and boner pills.

I was horrified and the real monster had yet to rear it's head.

I'm pretty sneaky but also way too curious, so I stayed to investigate, but the further down the rabbit hole I went the more a darkness welled from with in me. The things they did to the Xi’an while alive were abhorrent. It was more than torture or hatred. It was business.

As I snuck past a few operating tables towards the cargo holds to see if I could find some fuel cells, so I could over charge them and blow that place, a cold clawed hand reached from above and grabbed me by the neck. It's grip was sure as I felt the lack of blood flow making me woozy. I struggled to turn and see who had me. The hand was coming from under a sullen sheet.

It was a Xi’an who was thought dead. His body butchered but his heart still full of fight. The room was turning red as my heart thumped harder and harder to try and force blood to my brain. I pulled back the sheet from it's face and saw its golden eye full of fire. It must have seen something in me, because it quickly let go. I tried to hide my gasps for air as I promised the Xi’an I was going to kill them all and blow this place to stardust, but the Xi'an grew frantic and I feared it would inadvertently alert the Kuzahi thugs. I took it's bloody hand in my own and put my hand over its mouth to calm it. Its eye's shot frantically to a Xi'an shipping container not far away. I crawled over to the container, broke its seal, and to my horror found an infant Xi'an asleep in stasis. I heard the the Xi'an on the butcher's slab give out a long forlorn sigh as it's arm went limp. I scooped up the baby and made my way to the docking bay where I daisy chained their ships fuel cores to each other and fired them up. This caused a redundant power chain that increased exponentially, until one fuel cell failed. Then BOOOM! in a very big way.

The only problem was there were still a few living Xi'an caged up and I had no way to free them. The best I could do was save the child in my arms, while giving the Xi'an still aboard a quick and painless death. I got back to my ship and made a B-line away from the station and a quick flight back to Armitage.

I sat in the dark corner of a cantina in a small farming post, sipping a Nebulan ale wondering what to do with the kid before making that suicide run I was talking about earlier. When a couple of Blues grabbed me and dragged me halfway around the planet to a cold dark room.

They informed me of the colossal nature of my fuck up. I had just blown their investigation up, literally. I had also killed 3 Xi'an and 32 Kuzahi members. They branded me a mass murder out of sheer frustration. At least they were going to return the kid to the Xi'an.

I was never to see the light of a star again.

That's when everything went super nova. All around me I could hear and feel explosions rattling the walls. Warning alarms started to blare. The men interrogating me dashed off slamming the door behind them. An explosion ripped through the wall behind me throwing me into the adjacent wall. The wind from outside cleared the smoke away only to give sight to a new horror.

Flying daggers tore through civilian ship and military alike. They were like a hive of bees on a rampage. I had never seen anything in the Verse like that. It was a new race. A deadly race.

Renshnard

Vice Admiral
Dec 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Renshnard
None of them stood a chance.

I climbed down the side of the burning building into a room on the floor below me. Blood running into my eyes, my ears ringing. This room was a sleeping quarter of some sort packed wall to wall with cots. I crossed the room to the door when a cry rang out from the corner. There I found the Xi'an kid wrapped in a big white blanket and left for a nap. I scooped the kid up and ran. The explosions bounced me from wall to wall like a metronome. I reached my ship The Apostle and emptied an antique shipping container onto the station floor. It was holding some old farb...

Feber..

Fabrshrek...The year was 2681... Yeah I know that's over 200 almost 300 years ago and I don't look any older than 30, but stay with me here.

I was sitting at the edge, looking out past Orion wondering if there were more jump points out there shrouded by the thick cold black. You might ask yourself why was I. Why was Renshnard all the way out there? And, yes I was named after the 4 headed mercury lake beast of Xi’an mythos.

Ok, to recap. I, Renshnard was in the Orion system contemplating a suicidal deep space run to try and find my own Jump Point.

"Big bucks come to those who are willing to risk the biscuit." Pappy always said, but then again Pappy was a spice fiend who thought the Xi'an were the Creator from the Old Bible of Earth.

Any how, I was on my third strike and trying to stay under the radar. If the UEE found me this time, I would be up for a nice long probably permanent prison stretch on a mining rig somewhere. I had already done 5 years in the G Pit. A maximum security joint nestled away in class 2 gravity well. Easy enough to enter but impossible to leave without a large engine battery behind you. G-Pit supplied the UEE with all the raw rocks it could need and we the unlawful with all the work force they could handle.

The first two strikes were for borrowing ships. I never kept them, I temporarily took possession of them, but I guess the law doesn't make that distinction. The third was a bit more macabre. I made the mistake of breaking into what I thought was an empty storage facility tucked far out of orbit. The Kuzahi mafia was using the facility as a Xi'an genetic material harvesting plant. In those days there was a large demand for Xi'an tech and people parts. Some wanted them to study, others sought it out as an aphrodisiac. What it was for didn't and doesn't matter, because it came from the needless death of sentient life. They would kidnap and kill any Xi'an they could, then chop them up like animals, parting them out like steaks and then putting the leftovers in a blender to make a creams and powders to be sold as cure-alls and boner pills.

I was horrified and the real monster had yet to rear it's head.

I'm pretty sneaky but also way too curious, so I stayed to investigate, but the further down the rabbit hole I went the more a darkness welled from with in me. The things they did to the Xi’an while alive were abhorrent. It was more than torture or hatred. It was business.

As I snuck past a few operating tables towards the cargo holds to see if I could find some fuel cells, so I could over charge them and blow that place, a cold clawed hand reached from above and grabbed me by the neck. It's grip was sure as I felt the lack of blood flow making me woozy. I struggled to turn and see who had me. The hand was coming from under a sullen sheet.

It was a Xi’an who was thought dead. His body butchered but his heart still full of fight. The room was turning red as my heart thumped harder and harder to try and force blood to my brain. I pulled back the sheet from it's face and saw its golden eye full of fire. It must have seen something in me, because it quickly let go. I tried to hide my gasps for air as I promised the Xi’an I was going to kill them all and blow this place to stardust, but the Xi'an grew frantic and I feared it would inadvertently alert the Kuzahi thugs. I took it's bloody hand in my own and put my hand over its mouth to calm it. Its eye's shot frantically to a Xi'an shipping container not far away. I crawled over to the container, broke its seal, and to my horror found an infant Xi'an asleep in stasis. I heard the the Xi'an on the butcher's slab give out a long forlorn sigh as it's arm went limp. I scooped up the baby and made my way to the docking bay where I daisy chained their ships fuel cores to each other and fired them up. This caused a redundant power chain that increased exponentially, until one fuel cell failed. Then BOOOM! in a very big way.

The only problem was there were still a few living Xi'an caged up and I had no way to free them. The best I could do was save the child in my arms, while giving the Xi'an still aboard a quick and painless death. I got back to my ship and made a B-line away from the station and a quick flight back to Armitage.

I sat in the dark corner of a cantina in a small farming post, sipping a Nebulan ale wondering what to do with the kid before making that suicide run I was talking about earlier. When a couple of Blues grabbed me and dragged me halfway around the planet to a cold dark room.

They informed me of the colossal nature of my fuck up. I had just blown their investigation up, literally. I had also killed 3 Xi'an and 32 Kuzahi members. They branded me a mass murder out of sheer frustration. At least they were going to return the kid to the Xi'an.

Renshnard

Vice Admiral
Dec 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Renshnard
I was never to see the light of a star again.

That's when everything went super nova. All around me I could hear and feel explosions rattling the walls. Warning alarms started to blare. The men interrogating me dashed off slamming the door behind them. An explosion ripped through the wall behind me throwing me into the adjacent wall. The wind from outside cleared the smoke away only to give sight to a new horror.

Flying daggers tore through civilian ship and military alike. They were like a hive of bees on a rampage. I had never seen anything in the Verse like that. It was a new race. A deadly race.

I don't know what it was called. It was a fancy antique eggs with jewels and shit on it. Of course not literal shit, but shit in a general manner. I was meant to deliver it for some extra cash. It was the kind of delivery that happens on a cold dark planet where no one was watching. I put the baby in the specially made air controlled padded container and locked it down for the bumpy flight ahead.

It was pande-fucking-monium. These attackers didn't go for communications relays or defensive systems. They just attacked. It seemed like more a chest beating show of force than anything else. I had to put my ass to the afterburner if I was going to make it out of atmo.

The attackers swarmed in on me but this wasn't my first time running for my life and I hoped not my last. Their ships were fast, unbelievably nimble and full of tricks but I had a trick up my sleeve too. A little something I had cooked up in my spare time. I rigged The Apostle's shields so that with the flip of a switch I could pulse the shields sending out an EMP force wave that disrupts electronics within a 30 meter bubble and also hit's with a kinetic force wave that can throw off even the most skilled pilots. This was my ace in the hole.

Dodging the single bladed fighters at low altitude was easy but once I got into open sky, it got bad quick. They were all over me like Banu scrappers on Xi'an tech. My shields held well, but then the double bladed fighters showed up. Hitting me with quick strafes and moving in closer and closer with each pass. They were systematically boxing me in, forcing me where they wanted. I slowed and diverted all power to shields and started charging. The repulsor shield came at a big price, after I hit it, my shields and energy weapons will be down for about 15 seconds and the thrusters were down to about 75% output. So it left me slow and naked. I would only have a few seconds to break atmo and jump.

Finger on the repulsor button I drifted to a stop, hovering in the sky as a cage of bladed wings closed in around me. At least the strafe attacks had stopped. That's when the attacking formation opened and a gilded ship with huge chrome blade wings came towards me. The ship was mesmerizing. It hovered nose to nose with me and I saw my enemy for the first time. It was wearing a flight suit of some sort, and it was humanish but big. Real big. It turned away showing me the back of it's ship. If I charged weapons and open fire I might have been able to get him, but I knew that's what he wanted. So I rerouted a small power surge to the weapons to get his attention, and it worked. His ship in the blink of an eye swung around towards me, a gleam of light from the chrome blades stung my eyes as I repulsed that shiny bastard back into his friends just before his bladed wing could dice my cockpit.

It was glorious. The kinetic wave sent the ships spiraling into each other like the chain reaction in a firework. There was no time to admire the art, only time to fly. I routed all available power to the lead-slingers in the nose of the Apostle and it's thrusters. I charged through em full barrel roll, firing all weapons as they slowly came back online, in an attempt to clear a path through the chaos and debris that surrounded me. For the most part it worked. Well I guess it's more accurate to say it didn't fail entirely.

From there it was a shieldless scramble to survive and with atmo break approaching in a few seconds and the shields still on cool down for at least 8, it was about to get real hot. “Out of atmo into the nova” Pappy use to say. The nose of the Apostle lit into a bright red ball of flame as the heat resistant panels started to spark and blacken. The Apostle is a deep space ship not meant for shieldless atmo breaks like most modern ships but I had fitted some primary buffer panels over it just in case, and this isn't the first time that mod saved my bacon from sizzelin.

Shields came back up just after breaking through to the other side and not too soon as the enemy was hot and on top. They seemed to have no regard for their lives as I dodged attempted ramming one after another. Their high power ballistic weapons played hell on my shields. My navi-com was fried in the repulsor slash atmo break and jumping was my only option. No time to fix the com or enter manual jump plots. I had to hit that bitch raw dog. I had heard the stories of the first jumpers who had to do manual jumps but no one to my knowledge had done it in a very long time because very few ever made it back. Not to mention the change in universal drift from galactic center causes these thing to remain in constant flux, that's why we used drones to plot jump courses.

In the moment of initial jump when everything stops frozen in time but your mind, both wonder and terror gripped me. The quantum flux flowed like lightning filled lava as alternate vortices broke through to create new quantum tunnels for other travelers or black holes. Needless to say touching the edge or crossing a vortex would leave me scattered across space time at the speed of light tearing me apart molecule by molecule. Lucky for me it was a short jump because my broken-ass ship barely made it out, and not alone.

Renshnard

Vice Admiral
Dec 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Renshnard
That's why I jumped to Sierra Gama 1, a system home to binary black holes Scylla and Charybdis. The Big Bitch Sisters as smugglers call em. Between them is a great place to get killed but an even better place to do business without being seen. Very few ever risk it due to thick debris fields formed from obliterated planets circling the drains.

The word treacherous comes to mind as an understatement when describing what I was flying into. There are a few smuggler routes through, but they are far from safe. I blasted forth full speed and shields forward. The attackers followed without fear and didn't stop shooting at me until they were mostly smeared across the void. Before the last one kissed the black it fired a rocket barrage that sent me and a few million kilos of rock in every direction. The blast pushed me through a clearing into the edge of Charybdis and with my engines shot there was no way out.

There was no hope to lean on, the black hole had me and was slowly pulling me towards the event horizon. When broken down, the situation left only two roads to choose between. End it on my terms or fight to survive as long as I could. I'm sure Pappy would have had some charming idiom to describe my predicament. I would have probably ended it if it weren't for the kid. I couldn't rob her of a childhood. What little shred of a life she could have, I was obligated to give her.

I opened the container and there she was staring back at me with those big golden eyes and that goofy turtle face. She didn't scream or fuss, she just looked back at me with wide eyes. I knew immediately I was done for. She had already wrapped me around her little finger with nothing more than a look.

I rationed out the food and water to hold off on using the bio-waste converter equipped on the Apostle as long as I could. For most of the time we were in stasis, but best I can tell we were awake for about 4 years on and off, but due to time distortion 260 some years past out side the backhole while only about 12 years passe for us. In which time I did my best to teach her and give her birthdays where I would build some toy from ship parts and give her new types of food that I had hidden just for the occasions. Once it was chocolate, another time freeze dried ice cream, but it was the jerky she liked best.

Anyhow, about 2 years back a Banu merchantman spotted a beat up antique ship circling the drain and fished it out. Man were they ever surprised to find us on board. I wish I could have gotten a holo print of their faces. They tried to haggle my ship away from me as a fee for pulling us out, I was able change their minds with the end of a pistol barrel. Things got tense before the translator showed up. After that they contacted the UEE who picked us up and paid the Banu.

I was carted off to a conference room aboard a Bengal Carrier. I sat there for some time with the kid, until the UEE brass and a few Xi'an delegates came promenading in. The UEE had no record of me some how. I guess in my absence things really went to hell and I had gotten lost in the mix.

The Xi'an demanded I turn over the child, because a human is not fit to care for a Xi'an child according to them. I think I did a pretty damn good job all things considered. I opened my arms willingly and offered the her back to her people freely as she clung to my chest hiding her frightened little turtle face.

Her fingers dug hard into me but the Xi'an delegate was stronger than her little fingers.

Not a fit parent they though. Well Lill Tyk leaned to the contrary. She let out a roaring scream and thrashed in the delegates arms. The poor Xi'an didn't know what he had gotten himself into. She went from scared to angry in an instant grabbing ahold of the delegates face clawing him and biting a chunk of flesh from his cheek. The Xi'an recoiled out of pain and dropped Tyk on her feet after which she ran across the room, shimmied up my leg and continued to cling to me for the rest of the meeting.

In the end I was given custody of the kid and a new record. I did a lot of freelance work in the last year, even thought about joining the UEE but couldn't leave Lill Tyk in a UEE boarding house.

“So now I’m here. I have seen TEST Squardon all over the place, from racing leader boards to insane Arena Commander players and of course the news. I thought now these guys have got it going on.”

Montoya sits across from Renshnard looking befuddled.

“Well that's a hell of a story, but I only needed your basic info for our files.” Montoya holds up a datapad to show Renshnard the simple application form which is mostly unmarked.

“I'm sure I hit the key point in there, somewhere.” Renshnard leans back in the seat and kicks his feet up onto the coffee table between them.

“So when do I get my patch?”

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
There's a bit of an editing problem in there, it looks like some of the copy-pasting into the forums got broke. But aside from that, great job! You've got a much clearer image of your character already.

Reactions: Renshnard
Forgot your password?