Keep my Phoenix or CCU to a Valkyrie

CMDR_Deepsix

Space Marshal
Sep 8, 2017
RSI Handle
CMDR_Deepsix
I'm not loving some of the things I'm hearing about the Phoenix rework in terms of its role in the verse as well as some of the changes to components (armor, power plant, etc...). This being the case I'm considering CCU'ing it over to the Valkyrie.

Looking for some thoughts from others and why?

Thanks!

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Well, it all really depends on what you want to do in the verse..... the Phoenix has a very very different role than the Valkyrie. I suggest you read up on the ship descriptions on each applicable ship page you are interested in. A LOT of small changes are going to happen with ships over the next few years as CIG balances and tweaks the game to make it more fun for all of us. If I were you, I wouldnt focus on the small details about ships at this point in time, just find a ship that suits your play style best.

Hybus

Space Marshal
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Hybus
I would consider your options carefully. If you picked up a Phoenix, you probably had a very different gameplay idea in your head over a strictly combat orientated vessel, like the Valkyrie.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
CCU to a Kraken!

As others have indicated, what is it you're actually wanting to do? How many and what other ships do you have?

Reactions: Radegast74

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
The Valkyrie looks fun when crewed but with no cargo capacity at all it has one role. Now if we where invading vanduul planets you would have a lot of work but for its cost its role is limited. In addition its not like a big industrial vessel which should earn good cash. <<< Is the fun factor enough for you (I dumped the 600i as after thinking about it flying round problem people did not seem like fun!). Even so depending on your fleet there are probably more useful purchases out there.

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
I agree with much of what others have said before me.

In general it seems highly unlikely that the Valkyrie is anything at all like what you originally thought the Phoenix would be. Thus unless you have totally changed your idea of what you want to do in the game, the Valkyrie seems like it's not what you're looking for.

What might be closer is the Mercury Star Runner, which doesn't have the same firepower as the original Phoenix concept, but otherwise fills the role that many thought the Phoenix would fill, without the luxury part.

If none of them seem great, then personally I'd hold onto the Phoenix. It is hull-limited after all.

There will be plenty of time between now and launch to exchange it for something else, and there are almost certainly more ships we haven't yet seen that will be released before launch.

Sraika

Space Marshal
Nov 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Sraika
keep the phoenix!
also, since they're both in game, try em out first. TEST has several members with either and probably some with both.

the valkyrie is a very limited ship; it has one purpose, and that's moving troops around. More than that, it's specifically designed for planetary engagements and isnt going to be anywhere near as useful in ship-to-ship combat.
the phoenix, on the other hand, has several uses: it's first and foremost a luxury transport, it doubles as a cargo/smuggling ship, it's not going to suck at combat and comes with both a rover and a support fighter, so landing it and using it as a mobile ops center is a valid strategy, and, if you're not picky, you can probably cram a similar amount of people in as you can the valkyrie, although deploying wont be anywhere near as safe and they'll have to bring their own air.

Reactions: Deroth

Rattle-N-hum

Space Marshal
Aug 26, 2014
RSI Handle
RattleNHum
I had a Phoenix, but melted it due to the cockpit. I was really hoping to have a decent view for once, but after nixing the hidey hole, bigger guns, and the automated anti missile turret, it's really just a Connie with wood grain an a piano, no?

I had other haulers if we're talking cargo, so that part is covered. I just don't see a reason for the Phoenix unless you're into aesthetics, where I'm not unless they actually serve a purpose. I feel when contrasted with the rest of the ships, the Valk filled more niche (moreso with the apparent absence of the Redeemer) than the Phoenix ever did. I don't have any regrets.

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
Phoenix is bad but Valkyrie is super specialized.
I'm not sure it's fair to say the Phoenix is "bad" - it's just not the overpowered end-all-be-all that so many people were hoping it would be.

At the end of the day it's a Connie with a sweet snub fighter, a questionable interior design and the ability to do VIP missions that you otherwise wouldn't have access to.

Also keep in mind that they haven't really balanced any of the ships yet. Not really. They can't do that until the capitals are in game and people actually do more than play 15 minutes of AC at a time.

Point being they could still beef up the Phoenix (or indeed any ship) if they think it's not performing up to their expectations. (They CIG, not the guy who bought a Phoenix and wants to rule the universe in it.)

Grimm_Reaper

Space Marshal
May 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Grimm_Reaper
Valkyries limitations

- Its is limited to Planetary and atmosphere hangar based landings. Has no docking collar.
- Will be difficult to load marines on a ship with no hangar into the Valk
- No cargo carrying capacity. Can carry vehicles

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Figure out what you really want to do in game

Fly both

But a third ship as neither of these are probably what you really want...

Seriously, both are really specialized ships, but the Phoenix probably has more flexibility than the Valkyrie.

To get the big guns on target, you need a crew for the Valkyrie. You won’t be able to crew all the guns at once unless some of the crew are in excess of the number of beds. The pilot controls some of the smaller guns.

The Phoenix has enough crew to man all the guns, and the biggest guns are controlled by the pilot.

Phoenix can carry cargo or a rover, Valkyrie can carry a rover for now. They may allow you to carry cargo later, but it will be an upgrade you pay for in-game.

Valkyrie is a drop ship (think the lander from alien (or is it aliens? The first one) and does limited combat and shuttles troops into battle and supports ground troops. the Phoenix is a smaller large sized ship that can do VIP missions cargo runs if you so choose, or limited space combat. (4xS5 weapons facing forward for runs are larger ships)

The Valkyrie is a bigger, more specialized Cutlass. The Phoenix is a fatter Connie with less combat capability but the ability to transport VIPs.

Reactions: Bambooza and Deroth
Forgot your password?