Leaked images of Perseus. Looks like a cap ship killer!

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
My question is if anyone thinks it might be a good idea to upgrade the Carrack to the Perseus, which would give me warship capabilities that I don't have. Not having the Carrack would be painful, since it is my dream ship, but the change does make logical sense to me.
In my opinion you would loose a lot trading the Carrack for the Perseus. So far we do not know the ship details, but I doubt it will have the same features making it an independent ship able to sustain long travel, with hangar (you can put up to 3 razors or 2 m50 or 2 MPUV or one Buccaneer in the carrack), med bay, repair bay, big cargo hold which are actually MODULES! So future modules incoming

We now know that there will be Warbond CCU to Polaris 10 years insurance sold this IAE thanks to SC Leaks. So I suggest you take a Hammerhead to Polaris CCU, it will probably cost just 15$. And you could work on making that CCUed Polaris the coming years.

The Polaris has a med bay, hangar able to fit a Sabre if not more ships, potentially even a Mantis. It is a large ship and capital ship killer, has enough power to defend itself against fighters and other mosquitoes. Also quite decent cargo, potentially nice speed and able to go on duty for a long time.

The Perseus won't be even half of that I bet. No med bay for sure, no hangar, almost no guns for defense against fighters, probably small cargobay. It is just a large ship killer, we don't know yet if it is a cap ship killer, will depend on its main guns size.

Edit : if Perseus has S7 guns, by comparison to the Ares Ion, we know this is around 10k DPS at 8km+ for 4*S7 laser cannons. It is good, but it is probably no turrets meant for tracking fighters, so far I see just one or 2 smaller turrets and no missile pods unless hidden. Any fighter group will shred a Perseus without any issue. Won't be the same with a Polaris.

The Polaris has 28 S10 Torps, we don't know damage yet but a single S9 is 65k damage. Over 1.8 million damage at least, enough to shred an Idris. And it has 7 dual turrets S4 and S5, and 32 missiles (if S3 size i dont recall, that also makes 64 S2 missiles), enough to repel any fighter attack.

Perseus by comparison would need around 4 minutes of continuous fire and 100% hits to do the same amount of damage on an Idris

Last edited:

Citadel

Grand Admiral
Sep 2, 2018
RSI Handle
Citadel_MD
Thinking about it there's a chance that I might look to get the perseus depending on the size and features -I have a Polaris but if the Perseus is anywhere near the concept size of the Polaris, then I think that'd be a good indication that the Polaris will grow and I'm not sure about having a bigger Polaris. Any bigger and I might as well swap it for an Idris.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Polaris looks really big here, already saw that pic on discord and we talked about potential jump in size. Do you think it is the case? It certainly looks more than 155m here. Not supposed to be as long as 890.
The Polaris in that picture is way too big

Here is the picture from fleetview. As you can see, the polaris is much smaller than the 890, and the 890 is almost the size of the Javelin.
fleetview (4).jpg

DarkScout

Vice Admiral
Donor
Jun 5, 2018
RSI Handle
TonyMacaronee
In my opinion you would loose a lot trading the Carrack for the Perseus. So far we do not know the ship details, but I doubt it will have the same features making it an independent ship able to sustain long travel, with hangar (you can put up to 3 razors or 2 m50 or 2 MPUV or one Buccaneer in the carrack), med bay, repair bay, big cargo hold which are actually MODULES! So future modules incoming

We now know that there will be Warbond CCU to Polaris 10 years insurance sold this IAE thanks to SC Leaks. So I suggest you take a Hammerhead to Polaris CCU, it will probably cost just 15$. And you could work on making that CCUed Polaris the coming years.

The Polaris has a med bay, hangar able to fit a Sabre if not more ships, potentially even a Mantis. It is a large ship and capital ship killer, has enough power to defend itself against fighters and other mosquitoes. Also quite decent cargo, potentially nice speed and able to go on duty for a long time.

The Perseus won't be even half of that I bet. No med bay for sure, no hangar, almost no guns for defense against fighters, probably small cargobay. It is just a large ship killer, we don't know yet if it is a cap ship killer, will depend on its main guns size.

Edit : if Perseus has S7 guns, by comparison to the Ares Ion, we know this is around 10k DPS at 8km+ for 4*S7 laser cannons. It is good, but it is probably no turrets meant for tracking fighters, so far I see just one or 2 smaller turrets and no missile pods unless hidden. Any fighter group will shred a Perseus without any issue. Won't be the same with a Polaris.

The Polaris has 28 S10 Torps, we don't know damage yet but a single S9 is 65k damage. Over 1.8 million damage at least, enough to shred an Idris. And it has 7 dual turrets S4 and S5, and 32 missiles (if S3 size i dont recall, that also makes 64 S2 missiles), enough to repel any fighter attack.

Perseus by comparison would need around 4 minutes of continuous fire and 100% hits to do the same amount of damage on an Idris
Great advice! I appreciate the breakdown. I will give it strong consideration. As I said, the Carrack is my dream ship so unless something truly amazing comes out, I won't likely part with it.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Question for everyone: I have both a Carrack and a Corsair in my fleet. The Carrack is amazing but a bit too large for me to solo explore (or with a buddy or 2), so I am thinking of using the Corsair as my exploration ship. The Carrack is clearly a better ship, but for my needs, the Corsair can work. I have attached a pic of my fleet, which I have built to give me access to almost all the gameplay.

My question is if anyone thinks it might be a good idea to upgrade the Carrack to the Perseus, which would give me warship capabilities that I don't have. Not having the Carrack would be painful, since it is my dream ship, but the change does make logical sense to me.

View attachment 19369
Thoughts?
But . . .but . . . Carrack is love! Carrack is life

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
Great advice! I appreciate the breakdown. I will give it strong consideration. As I said, the Carrack is my dream ship so unless something truly amazing comes out, I won't likely part with it.
I also forgot that Polaris has the best radar of all ships ;)
Of course once all Torps fired, no more anti cap ability ;) And those Torps won't be cheap.

So if you look for a versatile warship, Polaris have more advantage on paper and with the little we know about the Perseus. It is not just about the DPS.

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
Perseus, cap killer? Maybe, I think it should take hours to destroy a cap or a days to bring down a base... not 10 minutes. I think when destroying a cap or a base, base especially, 24 hour shifts should be taken to bring it down, depending on its loadout. Cap ship should take hours... if the attackers could make that happen... then they reap the rewards, proving their logistics and cunning. In todays world, everything happens in minutes... but the reality is it takes days of planning and precise execution.

Makimera

Vice Admiral
Oct 27, 2019
RSI Handle
Maki
Perseus, cap killer? Maybe, I think it should take hours to destroy a cap or a days to bring down a base... not 10 minutes. I think when destroying a cap or a base, base especially, 24 hour shifts should be taken to bring it down, depending on its loadout. Cap ship should take hours... if the attackers could make that happen... then they reap the rewards, proving their logistics and cunning. In todays world, everything happens in minutes... but the reality is it takes days of planning and precise execution.
Perseus aint a cap killer, it's a sub cap killer.

id say i's aimed at destroying hammerheads so the fighter or bombers can reach thire target.

unknown_3.png

atpbx

Space Marshal
Jan 2, 2016
RSI Handle
General Fisting
Question for everyone: I have both a Carrack and a Corsair in my fleet. The Carrack is amazing but a bit too large for me to solo explore (or with a buddy or 2), so I am thinking of using the Corsair as my exploration ship. The Carrack is clearly a better ship, but for my needs, the Corsair can work. I have attached a pic of my fleet, which I have built to give me access to almost all the gameplay.

View attachment 19369
Thoughts?
No thats a terrible idea.

Your Carrack renders half your fleet irrelevant as it is. I would be binning off the Vulcan, Corsair, Cutlass, sabre and Apollo and using those funds to buy a Perseus, not melting the Carrack.

atpbx

Space Marshal
Jan 2, 2016
RSI Handle
General Fisting
I more interested in what it has other than the two big turrets.

If its like, completely barebones on the inside like a Hammerhead and just has the two big turrets, no cargo space etc then....................... not really that bothered about it, I can kill sub capital ships with a Polaris and do other things with it as well.

atpbx

Space Marshal
Jan 2, 2016
RSI Handle
General Fisting
Carrack is shit for a solo player tbh, maybe 10 years from now when the AI is decent enough it might work
In which case the rest of his fleet is shit as well as it all requires more than one person to be effective.

So he is better off keeping the least shit ship overall and hoping some mates log on or AI turns out good than having lots of little shit ones that will still be shit even with real or AI crew.

Forgot your password?