wmk

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Feb 19, 2018
RSI Handle
wmk
I've been flying with keyboard + mouse for almost two years in SC. I used to be using Saitek X52 Pro HOTAS in conventional configuration /throttle on the left, stick on the right/, but I had serious problems with aiming -- that's why I switched to kb+m.

I'm mainly flying in decoupled mode and I found that mouse and WASD, QEAD & LShift, LControl, Space and Capslock (yep, that's a lot of fingers) are the best for me for both combat and dynamic flying in atmosphere and space. With one exception: Q and E keys were not allowing me to control roll precisely; in smaller ships it was almost like an immediate 90 degree rotation with the single hit of each key. I didn't like that at all, as I was always trying to fly spaceships like... planes. It means instead of yawing to turn -- the technique used by many fellow players -- I was always performing banking turns, like in conventional aircraft.

Long story short, thanks to @O-Lefty I finally found a better configuration: HOSAM, stick on the left plus mouse. I'm using my old X52 Pro for the throttle and roll, plus some other key controls (details below, in case anyone's interested), and mouse on the right for pitch and yaw, strafe up and down, and firing guns and missiles. Results are very good -- below video was taken during my first session with HOSAM (Hands on Stick and Mouse.

Note that I locked stick z-axis with the built-in twist lock.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Joystick:

Throttle -- axis-y
Roll -- axis-x
Strafe up/down/left/right -- POW1
Spacebreak - Fire B
Afterburner - Pinkie switch
Decoupled toggle - Trigger 1st level
Cruise Control - T3
Landing Gear - T2
VTOL Mode - T1
Camera Control - POV2

Mouse:

Pitch, Yaw (mouse axis-x & axis-y), Strafe Up & Down (side buttons), Fire, Speed limiter.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

wmk

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Feb 19, 2018
RSI Handle
wmk
Next step is dual stick and your journey is complete!
I don't know... -- I fly Warden with the fixed S5 laser repeater; joystick doesn't allow me to aim precisely -- at least the stick I have...

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
I don't know... -- I fly Warden with the fixed S5 laser repeater; joystick doesn't allow me to aim precisely -- at least the stick I have...
That's true, I used to be a die hard fixed weapon dual joystick lover but nowadays just fly left hand keyboard, right hand joystick, gimbals as that's the only meta. The combat system is more broken than it's ever been.

Darrackem

Admiral
Nov 18, 2018
RSI Handle
Darrackem
I have a X-55 and have tried using it with SC. Tried finding a way to map buttons but dont know of a program that i can us to do it with. I heard Joy to key work but have not using that in a min. Looked up some profiles but most are for the X-56. I thought about just getting some cheap joy stick that i can us dual sticks. But for know my stick and throttle sit next to my computer. :(

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
You don't need a program at all Star citizen has it all built in? Go to keybindings and advanced select the joystick and start manually binding?

Reactions: StdDev

Darrackem

Admiral
Nov 18, 2018
RSI Handle
Darrackem
You don't need a program at all Star citizen has it all built in? Go to keybindings and advanced select the joystick and start manually binding?
I have tried to do it myself with star citiezen but the input are not showing up when i press them.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
I have tried to do it myself with star citiezen but the input are not showing up when i press them.
try using VJoy to have a virtual joystick, and then UJR (ultimate joystick remapper) to remap all your real joysticks buttons and axis to the virtual joystick. Then in SC, try binding the buttons again.
This worked for me with my titanwolf for which SC didn't register the throttle and twist axis.

@wmk nice flying there! Also, interesting idea, might give it a try myself.

Reactions: wmk

wmk

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Feb 19, 2018
RSI Handle
wmk
Joystick mapping, if anyone's interested.

Mouse controls: pitch, yaw (mouse axis-x & axis-y), additional strafe up & down (side buttons under my right thumb), fire guns and missiles, speed limiter.

Please note that I'm braking with the throttle mainly -- with boost if needed -- so that space break on top-right is a backup control only.
My arm is pulled back for the photo composition purposes; I can easily keep my thumb on the POV hat (strafing controls), while my arm still rests on desk.

DSC_4795-labels-1080.jpg

Last edited:

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
Oh, and thanks for posting this thread. I'm interested in dual stick but need to figure it out. Good discussion started here.

Darrackem

Admiral
Nov 18, 2018
RSI Handle
Darrackem
So food for thought, im thinking of selling my x-55 and going with the T.16000m, I did set the HOMAS and love the precision i have in maneuvering. That being said I would like to get another stick and do the dual stick style.

wmk

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Feb 19, 2018
RSI Handle
wmk
I've just updated my setup by binding two thumb buttons on my mouse to strafe up and strafe down ---- I'm testing it in 3.10 PTU right now and it works great.

kone.jpg

Darrackem

Admiral
Nov 18, 2018
RSI Handle
Darrackem
@wmk how did you get into 3.10 dont see it yet in the launcher?? And on another note after some debating im going to just get a T.16000m but keep my X-55 Hotas. So can wait until im able to order it.

Forgot your password?