Piracy Lets talk about... Piracy

BeerMonster

Commander
Dec 2, 2015
RSI Handle
BeerMonster
Yhaar, Shiver me timbers!

I kind of feel like im stuck between 2 bar stools about what I am going to do at launch? I was a Pirate in EVE online for a long time an I know from first hand experience that it is not easy, especially when starting out. I never got rich from being a Pirate but once you can make enough to cover your expenses it is a huge amount of fun :)

I am a little bit hesitant to become a pirate right from day1 of launch because we know very little about how the Pirating mechanics will work in the game.

Will being a Criminal restrict you from entering High Security Space? (UEE controlled)
How will 'tackling' work? (Disabling an opponents warp drive)
Will stealthy ships be able to avoid detection and setup ambushes?
Will stealthy ships be able to avoid UEE patrols?
Where will be the best places to setup ambushes?
Will being a Pirate effect your reputation and limit certain missions you can accept?
Will there be special Pirate missions for those of us with high criminal status?

The other problem we must consider from day1 of game launch is that most players will have very little money. There might be some players that have bought UEC but the vast majority will just have the ships they backed. This will pose a problem for Pirates that like to disable ships and 'ransom' said player for UEC to let him go and not destroy his ship. The lack of in-game wealth from launch will mean we will probably be forced to board ships and steal their cargo.... This increases the risk factor exponentially!!!

From launch, I might pretend to be a good StarCitizen and be a wolf in sheep's clothing. I might do some missions, do some exploring, do some trading etc. To become a good pirate you must be able to think like the CareBears you are hunting:

What are the best trade routes?
What is the average value of your ship + cargo?
When are you most vulnerable to attack?
What is the average response time for the UEE when you send out a distress signal?

Once I have enough money to cover any initial losses, have a good understanding of the game mechanics and how to exploit the CareBears..... Then I will be ready to put on the Pirate hat, eye patch and stuffed parrot :)

Anyone that would like to throw their 2cents at this you are most welcome... There is very little solid information at this point so its good to pick each others brains and get the ideas flowing!

Last edited:
Forgot your password?