Liberating the Tonk

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Despite being Stevetank, I have never touched a real tank. I need to visit a tank museum one day. I watch too many YouTube videos on them as it is.
Most US Army bases have one.
  • First Infantry Division, at Ft. Riley, KS, since they have been in every war beginning in World War I, except Korea, until now, they have a great collection.
  • Fort Hood, Texas had 2, last time I was there, and probably still does, but they have shuffled units. They also have motorpool road which was about 10 miles long and full of armored vehicles, on both sides of the road.
  • Fort Irwin, California had a really wild museum. Not just a full set of Soviet Armor, but the modified armored vehicles, that play Soviet vehicles for the OPFOR, for training purposes.
Of course some bases, depending on operational status may not be open to the public. Call ahead.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Most US Army bases have one.
  • First Infantry Division, at Ft. Riley, KS, since they have been in every war beginning in World War I, except Korea, until now, they have a great collection.
  • Fort Hood, Texas had 2, last time I was there, and probably still does, but they have shuffled units. They also have motorpool road which was about 10 miles long and full of armored vehicles, on both sides of the road.
  • Fort Irwin, California had a really wild museum. Not just a full set of Soviet Armor, but the modified armored vehicles, that play Soviet vehicles for the OPFOR, for training purposes.
Of course some bases, depending on operational status may not be open to the public. Call ahead.
I have found that most are not open to walk up public but you can call ahead and get visitor passes.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
I have found that most are not open to walk up public but you can call ahead and get visitor passes.
Like I said, call ahead. I accidentally got on the wrong road that led to a local active duty Air Force Base and just pulling up to the gate. They would have issued me a visitor's pass if I wasn't just trying to turn around and leave. :)

Forgot your password?