Exploration looking for Exploration / Science recommendations and opinions

Leofev

Commander
Nov 29, 2022
RSI Handle
LemmingOfEvil
Ok, I've been looking at my smaller explorations ships, and currently I have both a 315p and a Reliant Sen. The 315p is stated to be designed around scanning for new jump points and navigating them, while the Sen is more geared to scanning other phenomena and bodies inside a system.

But I've recently been wondering just what the Freelancer DUR is supposed to bring to the table. From what I remember, it should fit in the smallest planned jump points. If it could do a combination of both pathfinding (like the 315p) and the scanning abilities close to the Sen, then I could also have something with increased range, an internal fuel refinery, more cargo space, and (not that it matters for my exploration ship) better armaments.

Since I'm interested in exploration, I also have a 400i and a Carrack, but I am looking for something that 1) small enough to navigate small jump points 2) operates well solo for when I'm not with a team 3) having ability to system scan and pathfind. The only things I would really be missing out on are the great cockpit views of the smaller ships and their handling.

Reactions: Vavrik and Ltmifune

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
Well, since it's opinions you are asking for, TEST is the right place 🍺

Truth is, almost anything you hear will be opinions. Where scanning is concerned, and especially the 'Long Range Scanning' that some ships are supposed to be capable of, there isn't much in the way of solid information. Some written commentary on the topic is from the MSR Q&A - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/16753-Q-A-Crusader-Mercury

If anyone has more recent references please post them!

The topic get mentioned every so often in shows. From those comments, it seems that passive scanning could reach out to 100km. Active scanning with a Ping could reach out as far as 50,000 km. This was mentioned in conjunction with the new quantum boost feature.

There have also been comments by the vehicle dev team about the radar + scanner idea bouncing back and forth between being two boxes or just one. Latest seems to be just one box, so the scanner's previous spot is being given up for a power relay. Blades have been suggested as being able to improve the range of scannable items, or the depth of information available about them. Remains to be seen.

It's a legitimate question as to whether CIG has their design finalized; we certainly don't have an up to date description.

As to the ships we could get *REALLY* opinionated 👃 but to keep it brief;

Small pathfinders like the 315p - what the ship can find will likely be determined by the radar/scanner module. I.E. no obvious buffs in this class. The 315p distinguishes itself with several other useful traits.
Terrapin - according to CR able to find all the things, but intended to sell the information more than exploit it.
DUR - Same size radar as the Terrapin, but likely to have some drawback (perhaps fewer categories?) in comparison because of the lower price. IMO a very flexible ship for the solo player. Desperately needs the interior brought up to date.
Aquila - Freighter with an identity crisis. No idea what 'dual scanners' are going to turn out to be. Lower turret is poor, no upper turret so really wants a second player flying the P-52 to keep it alive.
400i - dedicated scanning features are said to provide a buff of some sort. Well kitted for purpose in all other respects.
600i - when you want to offer a drink to that new alien race TEST just found...
Carrack - "The Carrack which remains the best current ship for that particular role" from the Odyssey Q&A - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/18470-Q-A-MISC-Odyssey

Last thought for this particular post is the topic of quantum range. This is subject to change per ship, per the whims of CIG. For example, the new Cutter has 6000 units of QF, the Hull-A has 10,000. Yet most small ships in the game get along with only 583. I'm expecting some changes to happen with 4.0/Pyro's release, because there is a massive chunk of the playerbase who will run out of gas just beyond the wormhole. And because Todd Papy said so.

Edit: Just realized that I seem to have overlooked the Corsair, even though I currently have one. Worth noting that it lacks any specific scanning tools, and that it has less computer power than others around it. Lots of guns though. Likely to come fitted with whatever modules improve the chance of finding other ships.

🍻

Last edited:

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Ok, I've been looking at my smaller explorations ships, and currently I have both a 315p and a Reliant Sen. The 315p is stated to be designed around scanning for new jump points and navigating them, while the Sen is more geared to scanning other phenomena and bodies inside a system.

But I've recently been wondering just what the Freelancer DUR is supposed to bring to the table. From what I remember, it should fit in the smallest planned jump points. If it could do a combination of both pathfinding (like the 315p) and the scanning abilities close to the Sen, then I could also have something with increased range, an internal fuel refinery, more cargo space, and (not that it matters for my exploration ship) better armaments.

Since I'm interested in exploration, I also have a 400i and a Carrack, but I am looking for something that 1) small enough to navigate small jump points 2) operates well solo for when I'm not with a team 3) having ability to system scan and pathfind. The only things I would really be missing out on are the great cockpit views of the smaller ships and their handling.
Just my opinion, I see:
The 315p as a 1 bed pathfinder, with some scanning, small cargo but very fast ship.
The DUR as a 4 bed, pathfinder and scanning, small to medium cargo but slow.

In a firefight, the 315p can outrun a lot of other ships, and has a good enough bite for it's size and speed. The Dur is faster than a toad, but has the firepower of a fat dog with dental problems. It's the low end cargo capacity that makes it interesting for me.

Leofev

Commander
Nov 29, 2022
RSI Handle
LemmingOfEvil
Just my opinion, I see:
The 315p as a 1 bed pathfinder, with some scanning, small cargo but very fast ship.
The DUR as a 4 bed, pathfinder and scanning, small to medium cargo but slow.

In a firefight, the 315p can outrun a lot of other ships, and has a good enough bite for it's size and speed. The Dur is faster than a toad, but has the firepower of a fat dog with dental problems. It's the low end cargo capacity that makes it interesting for me.
I think I'm just going to stick a Sen ->DUR ccu in my pocket and see how things play out before applying or melting it.

Having let the idea marinate in my head for a bit, I'm thinking I might be fine the way it is. If the difference between science and jump-point scanners is just swapping out some components or installing additional blades, I think just the 315p and the 400i in the long run should fill those needs. If it does turn out that way, it frees up some store credit to unmelt some of my wishlist items from my buyback page.

Freak0

Grand Admiral
Donor
Aug 31, 2019
RSI Handle
Freako_0
I'm going to link a CIG page and post a matrix picture to help provide a foundation for my comments: Careers and Roles .

1670605775437.png

Basically, I like this matrix image because it highlights how Mining, Science, Agriculture, and Salvage are a sub-section of Exploration. It also highlights three distinct types of exploration vehicles.

Based on that link and your post, I'd say you currently have:

Pathfinder: 315p
Science: Sen
Touring: 400i
Expedition: Carrack.

Now there are supposedly other adjectives to differentiate within each of those four categories: light, medium, large, heavy, etc. I expect this is to provide a means to show greater capability within a category. So I'd adjust the above to include:

Pathfinder: 315p - light. Minimal capability to meet the pathfinder designation.
Science: Sen - light. Minimal ability to do science.
Touring: 400i - Medium. Mid-ranged touring vessel.
Expedition: Carrack - Large. Top-end exploration and capabilities.

I would probably list the DUR as a medium expedition ship. It can go long distances and potentially have improved scanning capabilities. The Terrapin is a 'heavy' pathfinder and may be able to fulfill most roles within the pathfinding game loop.

It is difficult to nail down actual capabilities because we do not know specifics on the exploration, science, or touring game loops. The descriptors CIG use is a way to provide context and variation between ship categories. It helps us to vaguely determine a ship's intended role and capabilities within that role.

Last edited:

Ltmifune

Captain
Nov 6, 2022
RSI Handle
ltmifune
I actually set up my 600i yesterday with multiple sets of clothes and armor for a four man crew to got mission and exploration runs. If it wasn't for the several 30ks I had one after another I was going to load a couple land vehicles in it too.

Reactions: Bambooza and Vavrik

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
IMHO Origin makes the best small Explorers. If you already have both a 315P and a 400i, you're set for best solo exploration. I would choose the 400 unless you know you need to traverse a wormhole too small for it. We don't know yet, but it is possible the 400i will fit through the smallest wormholes.

Scan rate is the product of scan area (π × r^2 ) and the SCM of your ship while coasting decoupled. You want the largest scan radius possible and for the solo player you probably should settle for S2, and additionally you want the highest SCM (the scan function is linear with SCM and quadratic with radius). The 400i has a significantly higher SCM than the Lancer and the Terapin.

It also has the best shields of the three, and when they're off it is very hard to spot. The fact it carries 3 S2 coolers should not be lost on you. Load it up with Snowpacks and at least one Eclipse reactor, leave the other reactors, the weapons and guns off, and you will be very difficult to see while scanning the inky black, which is the very best way to stay safe. With 3 Snowpacks, even after an engine burn your IR will reduce very quickly and you'll again be hard to see. If you are seen, the 25% higher afterburn speed of the 400i over the others is pretty important. The 400i is very fast, has better acceleration than the others and handles very well for a ship its size. It has not had the problems of the Corsair with people flying it into the ground because of crappy aero handling.

The ship is large enough that it may be able to fit 3, X1 Force. We should find out when 3.18 is released. And in the long term, what can compete with that holo-viewer? That's just cool as can be. Finally, the 400i very subjectively feels to me like the smallest ship I could live aboard indefinitely, without it giving me cabin fever. It feels homey. It is missing adequate storage, but there are plenty of nooks and crannies where you can place crates, like inside the escape pods, which my guess is will never see any use anyway. In a rework, I would urge CIG to lose the scalloped wall to floor treatment and place storage across from the existing storage in the entry, and behind the rear seats on the bridge.

Flying alone or with friends the 400i seems to me the best choice.

Last edited:

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale

They have stated they are rethinking jump point sizes. The answer is we don't know what fits in what size jump point.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Well, since it's opinions you are asking for, TEST is the right place 🍺

Truth is, almost anything you hear will be opinions. Where scanning is concerned, and especially the 'Long Range Scanning' that some ships are supposed to be capable of, there isn't much in the way of solid information. Some written commentary on the topic is from the MSR Q&A - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/16753-Q-A-Crusader-Mercury

If anyone has more recent references please post them!

The topic get mentioned every so often in shows. From those comments, it seems that passive scanning could reach out to 100km. Active scanning with a Ping could reach out as far as 50,000 km. This was mentioned in conjunction with the new quantum boost feature.

There have also been comments by the vehicle dev team about the radar + scanner idea bouncing back and forth between being two boxes or just one. Latest seems to be just one box, so the scanner's previous spot is being given up for a power relay. Blades have been suggested as being able to improve the range of scannable items, or the depth of information available about them. Remains to be seen.

It's a legitimate question as to whether CIG has their design finalized; we certainly don't have an up to date description.

As to the ships we could get *REALLY* opinionated 👃 but to keep it brief;

Small pathfinders like the 315p - what the ship can find will likely be determined by the radar/scanner module. I.E. no obvious buffs in this class. The 315p distinguishes itself with several other useful traits.
Terrapin - according to CR able to find all the things, but intended to sell the information more than exploit it.
DUR - Same size radar as the Terrapin, but likely to have some drawback (perhaps fewer categories?) in comparison because of the lower price. IMO a very flexible ship for the solo player. Desperately needs the interior brought up to date.
Aquila - Freighter with an identity crisis. No idea what 'dual scanners' are going to turn out to be. Lower turret is poor, no upper turret so really wants a second player flying the P-52 to keep it alive.
400i - dedicated scanning features are said to provide a buff of some sort. Well kitted for purpose in all other respects.
600i - when you want to offer a drink to that new alien race TEST just found...
Carrack - "The Carrack which remains the best current ship for that particular role" from the Odyssey Q&A - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/18470-Q-A-MISC-Odyssey

Last thought for this particular post is the topic of quantum range. This is subject to change per ship, per the whims of CIG. For example, the new Cutter has 6000 units of QF, the Hull-A has 10,000. Yet most small ships in the game get along with only 583. I'm expecting some changes to happen with 4.0/Pyro's release, because there is a massive chunk of the playerbase who will run out of gas just beyond the wormhole. And because Todd Papy said so.

Edit: Just realized that I seem to have overlooked the Corsair, even though I currently have one. Worth noting that it lacks any specific scanning tools, and that it has less computer power than others around it. Lots of guns though. Likely to come fitted with whatever modules improve the chance of finding other ships.

🍻

Great write-up.

Was going to say you forgot the Odyssey, Polaris, and Endeavor but realized the op was asking for small, solo ships and while NPCs might allow it to be soloed they are far from small.

Leofev

Commander
Nov 29, 2022
RSI Handle
LemmingOfEvil
Great write-up.

Was going to say you forgot the Odyssey, Polaris, and Endeavor but realized the op was asking for small, solo ships and while NPCs might allow it to be soloed they are far from small.
Yea, for solo. I've been catching up a bit on the game and it looks more like the DUR might be what I'm after. Good range, good sensors, beds, reasonably armed, some cargo, not too big, very solo friendly. I'll just be missing out a bit on the great cockpit views of the Sen/315p.

Forgot your password?