Looking for some advice.

orac_zen

Space Marshal
Mar 16, 2016
RSI Handle
orak1
Looking for advice. I recently moved into an rv park and use there wifi for my internet connection. Today i was informed that i am being cut off from there internet because my mac address was flagged for hacking. The only thing i can think of that might be misconstrued in that way, is i went to the router/firewall and checked that the default admin password had been changed. I was just checking that they had changed it and i was glad when i found out that they had. So the question is would that be considered hacking?

Reactions: StdDev

felyxsnow

Commander
Donor
Dec 17, 2016
RSI Handle
felyxsnow
I mean the definition of hacking is gaining unauthorized access to data in a system. You didn't get access, so I'd say you didn't hack, per say. But they probably have a failed attempt log and pinned your MAC from there. From their side, probably suspicious. Maybe talk to the park staff and explain your side?

Who knows what they might say?

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
... man not sure why you tried that using the same device you regularly use.. attempting to access to the backend of their gateway/router through wifi is a nono when it belongs to someone other than you. You didn't "hack" but that can be seen as an attempted to gain unauthorized access. What's stupid is WIFI access to the backend shouldn't even be enabled! It should be HTTPS via LAN or better. My advice would to be to apologize but you weren't attempting to hack. If it were me i'd likely have my own gateway I was trying to configure and likely forgot I was still connected to the wifi. Of course Id have my router for validating what I was saying. I mean, that's the only scenario I'd see myself accidentally trying a default login on another gateway.

orac_zen

Space Marshal
Mar 16, 2016
RSI Handle
orak1
so you would not ensure that they had changed there factory admin password? I was just making sure the system was secure. Living off someone wifi in a rv park worries me. I like to know that not just any kid can get in. When I first moved in i noticed there guest internet was not even requiring a password. They normally hand out tickets when you pay rent for 30 days of access. I called them and let them know that i got on it with out using the 30 day password. The next day they had it were you had to put in a password. That should show them that I'm not trying to hack there system.

ThomSirveaux

Space Marshal
Sep 12, 2014
RSI Handle
Thom_Sirveaux
so you would not ensure that they had changed there factory admin password? I was just making sure the system was secure. Living off someone wifi in a rv park worries me. I like to know that not just any kid can get in. When I first moved in i noticed there guest internet was not even requiring a password. They normally hand out tickets when you pay rent for 30 days of access. I called them and let them know that i got on it with out using the 30 day password. The next day they had it were you had to put in a password. That should show them that I'm not trying to hack there system.
When dealing with tech-illiterate people, you need to be very, VERY careful. Even if you're doing something to protect someone, they won't see it that way, and believe you're trying something nefarious, or just "power hungry".

Not quite the same, but I set up a laptop for my grandma, a few years back. She was used to WebTV, but my aunt bought her a nice little laptop since WebTV was about shut down. I went in, set everything up, all of her login passwords were automatic, but I set her login to a simple "user" and not admin. This was fine, because if she needed to install something, I can swing by (about an hour away) and do it, and I was in college, so my parents would pay for my gas and it's all good (Grandma would then feed me far more than required, AND send me home with a whole pie... Love my Grandma).

Fast forward a few weeks and I start getting furious phone calls from my cousins and my dad, wondering why I "Locked them out" of the system. I told them I didn't, and that the computer should auto-log into her user account without needing anyone to type in a password.

"We're trying to install something and it's telling us we can't."

"Well, yes. I did that on purpose. I don't want Grandma to install anything if she doesn't know what it is. It's the best way to prevent viruses from getting on the machine."

"But she wants to install something, like, right now!"

"What is she trying to install? She has all of the programs she needs." (Productivity, photo editing, and a whole host of other programs an octogenarian would never use)

"<Random program that she absolutely doesn't need, but my cousins say she does.>"

"Uh, well, can that wait until I come up, next?"

[Get call from dad]

"Why did you lock your grandma out of her computer?!"

"I set up a separate admin account to prevent someone installing malicious software and viruses."

"She has a virus scan. Give me the password so your cousins can do this."

[facedesk]

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Why didn't you just ask then if they change it so it is secure would have saved you a lot of trouble and is what I would have done.

Trying to access a access point as in a login to a server, router, computer that you do not own without consent or proper registration to it, is considered the same as trying to breaking an entrance which is a crime, so yes you where trying to hack in..
From their point of view and the law in most countries..

Would be the same if you caught me trying to get in to your computer without your consent, you would assume I was trying to hack through your password login to your computer. right!?

If you on the other hand told them about what you where about to do before you do it what do you think their reaction to it would be?

Think you need to start to think before you act and think through possible views of opinion to the act you are about to perform, that save you a lot of headache most of the times if not always..
Asking before you do something toward some/one/thing you do not own work great to ;)

;)

Just saying, CHEERS! :beer::beer::beers:

Last edited:

orac_zen

Space Marshal
Mar 16, 2016
RSI Handle
orak1
when you walk up to your good friends door do you knock? It is common in east texas to open the door and say hi loudly. My dad has not locked his doors while he was home his entire life. I leave my trailer door unlocked unless I'm not home. Hell most the time the doors are staning wide open here, depending on the weather.

I don't have a way to contact there it person to ask him. He comes and goes only when there is a problem. The other people that work in the office would not have a clue if I asked that question...

Definition of hacker for English Language Learners. computers : a person who secretly gets access to a computer system in order to get information, cause damage, etc

I did not secretly do it... I did not try to hide the fact that I did it... I did not have malicious intent. I did not plan to steal information or cause damage. What I did in no way falls into the definition of hacking...

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Well dictionaries is not laws and if you try to get access to something that is not yours to access in the digital world, no matter the intend you break the law period so how your home security is have nothing to do with that.

There is no opinion about this, it is pure fact have nothing to do with your way of living or if your intent is malicious or not.
(that don't apply to the situation if the owner of what you try to access buy your story)

If I drive my car to fast I am breaking the law no matter what the dictionary call a driver that drive to fast and it don't matter what my intent for driving to fast was either I am breaking the law period.

There is no grey zone in this matter but sometime I wish there was but there isn't, I shore hope the owner can see that your intent was not to cause any trouble but just a concern for security, which you got proven the hard way, they do have full control of who access what.

Good luck :beers:

Last edited:
Forgot your password?