Main rig went kaboom :-(

Krystal LeChuck

Meme Meister
Staff member
Officer
Jun 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Krystal
Also check for popped capacitors on motherboard. Those are easy to replace for next to nothing.

Annitias

Minister of Propaganda
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Oct 5, 2014
RSI Handle
Annitias
White Smoke Popped.

Examine the Board. Look For Charred Marks.
If Board does not have ANY charred areas on the PCB, then it might still be good.

IF YOU DO FIND MARKS throw the board away and salvage other components.
DO NOT TRY TO POWER A FRIED BOARD WITH WORKING COMPONENTS.

GL, i hope you don't fine any Charred areas. not only will that indicate that the board might still be working but will also indicate that other components such as CPU, RAM, etc are good.

Also examine the other parts, specially RAM.
It also does white smoke.
This. Unless you have and know how to use an industrial power supply and isolation tools like what I have here, you risk losing good parts and starting a fire. Don't do it. Seriously.

I have killed many mobos and recovered the CPU still. Now a flat PSU failure shunt into the board on a 1150 board, odds are the CPU is kill as the vrm is now on the CPU.

For this reason, this is why you will always see me stressing the importance of a high quality power supply in a system. Too often we see rigs with awesome parts and some second tier psu that risks the whole system.

Eiyron

Space Marshal
Jan 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Eiyron
This. Unless you have and know how to use an industrial power supply and isolation tools like what I have here, you risk losing good parts and starting a fire. Don't do it. Seriously.

I have killed many mobos and recovered the CPU still. Now a flat PSU failure shunt into the board on a 1150 board, odds are the CPU is kill as the vrm is now on the CPU.

For this reason, this is why you will always see me stressing the importance of a high quality power supply in a system. Too often we see rigs with awesome parts and some second tier psu that risks the whole system.
Throw away the whole thing then ? =/

I salvaged Parts off a Blown PSU before, Guess I was Lucky.
A burnt Board however.... Not that lucky lol

A Sad Story Indeed :(

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
Yeah, the CPU and GPU were tried individually in my backup system and they were both dead. I don't know what exactly killed the GPU as there aren't any blown caps or scorch marks visible (it also doesn't smell burnt), but it definitely isn't working. Mobo looks to be dead as well, but again, nothing visible. I don't have an old CPU I can use to test (even if I was willing to risk losing it too) so I'm going to err on the side of caution and assume that if the CPU and GPU were fried, the mobo is probably gone too.

PSU was a Corsair GS700 I bought back in late 2010. I don't shut my system down as often as I should so it probably had 25 - 30k+ hours on it. I know corsair advertises an average life of 100kish hours, but 30k in two different towers isn't terrible if it doesn't kill your rig. I'm also not even slightly inclined to try and repair it.

The very first computer I built, I used the no-brand PSU that came with the case. It blew within a couple of months, but thankfully I didn't lose any components. I haven't used a cheap PSU since and I never will. I've seen too many systems die from a cheap PSU to even consider risking it just to save 50 or 60 bucks.

Annitias

Minister of Propaganda
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Oct 5, 2014
RSI Handle
Annitias
Yeah, the CPU and GPU were tried individually in my backup system and they were both dead. I don't know what exactly killed the GPU as there aren't any blown caps or scorch marks visible (it also doesn't smell burnt), but it definitely isn't working. Mobo looks to be dead as well, but again, nothing visible. I don't have an old CPU I can use to test (even if I was willing to risk losing it too) so I'm going to err on the side of caution and assume that if the CPU and GPU were fried, the mobo is probably gone too.

PSU was a Corsair GS700 I bought back in late 2010. I don't shut my system down as often as I should so it probably had 25 - 30k+ hours on it. I know corsair advertises an average life of 100kish hours, but 30k in two different towers isn't terrible if it doesn't kill your rig. I'm also not even slightly inclined to try and repair it.

The very first computer I built, I used the no-brand PSU that came with the case. It blew within a couple of months, but thankfully I didn't lose any components. I haven't used a cheap PSU since and I never will. I've seen too many systems die from a cheap PSU to even consider risking it just to save 50 or 60 bucks.
The CS, G and GS lines for Corsair I would still call Second Tier. Corsair does not manufacture the PSU themselfves but rather hires an OEM to make it. The HX, (Most) TX, RM are great units and would say buy away. Now the AX/AXi are some of the best units on the market, period.

Last edited:

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
The CS, G and GS lines for Corsair I would still call Second Tier. Corsair does not manufacture the PSU themselfves but rather hires an OEM to make it. The HX (Most) TX, RM are great units and would say buy away. Now the AX/AXi are some of the best units on the market, period.
I did not know that about the GS line, but I will definitely keep the AX in mind whenever I can afford to rebuild. Thanks!

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim
Blew up?
Shit happens. Get another one.

You always have a choice to get a rig in 12 monthly payments for X amount to lessen the load on your wallet.

2Vok

Lieutenant
May 4, 2015
RSI Handle
2Vok
Thats a shame for your i7.
I had a couple no-name PSUs too which blew up within a year but never took any components.

Forgot your password?