Manned Mars Mission Announced!

SkippyLeDoo

Lame Title
Nov 16, 2013
RSI Handle
SkippyLeDoo
http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-12-02/nasas-orion-test-flight-gets-us-closer-to-mars

HOLY SHIT FINALLY

That is all. Discuss.

Edit: Actually this has me a little concerned: "No one is about to strap on a suit and launch to Mars any time soon. Despite NASA’s excitement, the pace of development—driven by Congressional funding—means that the next Orion test flight won’t happen for nearly three years. The first flight with astronauts isn’t planned to take place until six years from now."

This needs the fuck funded out of it. Nothing comes close in importance than these endeavors. Maybe more publicity will help, like when Kennedy did his moon speech?

ShadyBrady

Captain
May 28, 2014
RSI Handle
ShadyBrady
Even 6 years sounds very very aggressive. Also I read a huge medium article on Mars One which made it sound like complete bullshit.

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
Hoooooly crap. I always felt we should be able to put humans on Mars during my lifetime, but I was doubtful that it would actually happen. This is still a long shot, and it has dozens of ways in which it could fail, but it makes me a little more hopeful.

Reactions: rogesh

thedeadlybutter

Vice Admiral
Dec 2, 2014
RSI Handle
thedeadlybutters
@ShadyBrady Yeah Mars One is a complete scam, do not give it a dime of yours for an "application". It's an application to no-where but there wallets.

This though is awesome, anything an established space player is doing (NASA, SpaceX, ESA, etc) involving Mars is totally legit. Unfortunately, I think raising the congressional budget is a little out of the realm of possibility. If we lived in a country where sadly people didn't still believe apollo is a hoax and understood the value of science, astrophysics and just fucking exploring the universe, we wouldn't have this problem :)

Dalarast

Space Marshal
Oct 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Dalarast
Serious comment: Pretty amazing; but as posted above... this time table actually is VERY advanced I think. Six years is NOTHING I think and basically is a blink of an eye in the development that will be needed. That its happening by NASA and government funding.... I think six years will turn into 16 than it will probably disappear from our radar. Time to transfer to the space program from the Army... space marine ftw.

Not so serious: Will SC beat the Orion to launch?

Now I'm f'n with you: Will Orion be available at launch of the PU?

Hmmm if I remember correctly the launch to Mars will be followed by the first attempt to colonize and terraforming a planet.. that of course will be followed by The Great Mars Tragedy on 13 September 2120...... don't these people read the future fake history of the SC world.

"Get your ass to Mars" - Total Recall
OR

Flashwit

Space Marshal
Nov 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Flashwit
Even 6 years sounds very very aggressive. Also I read a huge medium article on Mars One which made it sound like complete bullshit.
This is why I didn't give them any money. It's entertaining stuff to read though. Kinda feel bad for the people who are selected and are going to be wasting their lives training for a mission that will never happen for them.

Shar Treuse

Captain
Nov 24, 2014
RSI Handle
Shar Treuse
NASA can't even manage to get one ship into space anymore, just beause of a little sailboat. What makes you think they will ever manage to get a manned spaceship to Mars?

CrashMan054

Commander
Oct 23, 2014
RSI Handle
CrashMan054
NASA can't even manage to get one ship into space anymore, just beause of a little sailboat. What makes you think they will ever manage to get a manned spaceship to Mars?
They got a spaceship to the moon, they can get one to mars if someone actually gives them enough funding.

thedeadlybutter

Vice Admiral
Dec 2, 2014
RSI Handle
thedeadlybutters
Sorry, what are you getting this from?

And are you forgetting how many times we put a robot on mars? Sure, easier than humans, but NASA is capable of doing it. When you look at the private space industry and how well its growing, it becomes even more obvious this mission will happen without doubt in our life times. If not NASA than Elon Musk certainly will.

Dalarast

Space Marshal
Oct 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Dalarast
It's not a matter of it; but a matter of when in my opinion. I think mankind is more than capable of getting a men/women on the Mars if they put effort into it. Hell they could even probably get them back if they wanted too. Hopefully with the short minded focus of society someone will see the benefit and start putting more focus on space and exploration. Perhaps things like Star Citizen will help create that inspiration for someone.. sadly it will probably be someone who sees how much the kickstart campaign has raised and see a way to make money... but perhaps it will be some teenager playing SC in a few years and says: "Damn... I want to discover a world like I do in my Carrack... why can't I". Hmmm... maybe?

Reactions: thedeadlybutter
Forgot your password?