Many Subreddits being set to private (in protest to firing of valued Reddit staff member)

SeungRyul

Spreader of Truth / Master of Hamsters
Staff member
Donor
Oct 30, 2013
RSI Handle
Citizen404
Many of you might have noticed that /r/StarCitizen was recently set as a private subreddit. This is due to a larger movement currently taking place where many of the moderators of large subreddits are distressed about lack of communication from the Reddit Admins.

Indepth Recap Here: https://www.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoop/comments/3bxduw/why_was_riama_along_with_a_number_of_other_large/

So don't panic (at least not too much), and we should see this and many of the other huge subreddits come online later hopefully.

Scarthian

The Shadow Broker
Feb 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Scarthian
Honestly while I feel for the folks this is just business. If they are going to get rid of someone I don't think they either need nor care to post every firing they have. Hell they hired that Cho or whatever chick as Interim CEO or something and she brings a whole host of bad publicity. So I think its safe to say they are going to do what they want even against "popular" opinion.

Fenrig

Rear Admiral
May 25, 2015
RSI Handle
Fenrig
Honestly while I feel for the folks this is just business. If they are going to get rid of someone I don't think they either need nor care to post every firing they have. Hell they hired that Cho or whatever chick as Interim CEO or something and she brings a whole host of bad publicity. So I think its safe to say they are going to do what they want even against "popular" opinion.
While you're not wrong, DIGG was a lesson that nobody seems to have learned from. When the community at large is your business it is prudent to at least try and gauge what their response might be.

Reactions: Haxta

Scarthian

The Shadow Broker
Feb 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Scarthian
While you're not wrong, DIGG was a lesson that nobody seems to have learned from. When the community at large is your business it is prudent to at least try and gauge what their response might be.
Perhaps but I would argue that Reddit is far more larger, more evolved than DIGG ever was not to mention more diverse. Add onto the fact that I would even venture to say that these are not the actions of the Reddit community at all. Rather they are the actions of those handfuls of mods who control the various set to private subs. I mean not to hate upon the fired person but I am willing to put my money where my mouth is and bet the fact is most of these people in these subs don't even know who the person that got fired was.

Not to mention what they did or if it even affected them or their communities in anyway. Not to use myself as a reflection of all users but I surf reddit daily multiple times through out the day most often in between work. I as a reddit user have no clue who this person was or did before today. What I do know as a general user and community member is that the firing of whoever this is has led to some subreddits that I surf on to be made private. Did I have control over this as a community member? Did I have a voice or in Reddits case a chance to upvote or down vote to choose to make the sub private? Nope, as I am sure many other community members haven't either and while I feel for anyone getting fired because it blows massively. I honestly would have voted not to make the subs private in some sort of weak attempt at a protest. Especially when no one has a clue beyond the person and the folks who fired said person as to the reasoning behind they got fired.

Seems far fetched but what if they were say embezzling? Or did some major screw up? Or restructuring just cut them out hell my department just lost 20% of its people due to that with no warning even good people. Its blows but it is common. In the end my personal opinion is this is the reaction of the few that is not the choice of the many. I would bet most people don't know who this person is and just want their subreddits back.

Reactions: Krystal LeChuck

zeddie

Space Marshal
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Test-Dummy
I don't understand why /r/StarCitizen is going private... it's only hurting itself.

As /r/DestinyTheGame mods puts it:
As mods of /r/DestinyTheGame, we are here to reassure you that we are NOT going to be going private, or shutting this subreddit down. Regardless of where anyone stands on all the meta-drama, we believe that shutting down our sub would be much more of a headache for our users, than it would be for the admins. We're not a default, we don't have a huge amount of subscribers. However, many of the people that do visit our sub use it as a main source of Destiny news and discussion. Shutting down would be a pain for our subscribers, and probably not even noticed by the admins in relation to everything else happening.

Krystal LeChuck

Meme Meister
Staff member
Officer
Jun 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Krystal
Perhaps but I would argue that Reddit is far more larger, more evolved than DIGG ever was not to mention more diverse. Add onto the fact that I would even venture to say that these are not the actions of the Reddit community at all. Rather they are the actions of those handfuls of mods who control the various set to private subs. I mean not to hate upon the fired person but I am willing to put my money where my mouth is and bet the fact is most of these people in these subs don't even know who the person that got fired was.

Not to mention what they did or if it even affected them or their communities in anyway. Not to use myself as a reflection of all users but I surf reddit daily multiple times through out the day most often in between work. I as a reddit user have no clue who this person was or did before today. What I do know as a general user and community member is that the firing of whoever this is has led to some subreddits that I surf on to be made private. Did I have control over this as a community member? Did I have a voice or in Reddits case a chance to upvote or down vote to choose to make the sub private? Nope, as I am sure many other community members haven't either and while I feel for anyone getting fired because it blows massively. I honestly would have voted not to make the subs private in some sort of weak attempt at a protest. Especially when no one has a clue beyond the person and the folks who fired said person as to the reasoning behind they got fired.

Seems far fetched but what if they were say embezzling? Or did some major screw up? Or restructuring just cut them out hell my department just lost 20% of its people due to that with no warning even good people. Its blows but it is common. In the end my personal opinion is this is the reaction of the few that is not the choice of the many. I would bet most people don't know who this person is and just want their subreddits back.
Wish more people thought the same way... the internet and earth, would be a much better place to be in

Flashwit

Space Marshal
Nov 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Flashwit
You guys should actually read the out of the loop thing as you're kind of missing what the actual point was. The issue isn't that Victoria was fired, it's that she was fired without any notice at all to the mods of the subreddits or any transition plan in place.

Victoria was the main point of contact for all the celebrity (and many other) AskMeAnything posts. There were dozens of people scheduled for AMAs that they no longer had any way of contacting or letting them know what was going on, never mind actually running the AMA.

I just wanted to make it clear that the protest was not over the firing. The protest was over the continuing lack of communication from Reddit administration. You can find more posts from mods that explain how this was just the event that brought the whole thing to boiling over. There has been a lot of discontent with the admins way before this.

CaptainRichard

Stream Meister
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Sep 29, 2014
RSI Handle
CaptainRichard
The one and only reason I ever started going to Reddit was for /StarCitizen and /StarCitizen_Trades.

Works well enough for me as a condensed version of the RSI forums.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
There is nothing wrong with reddit, its perfectly fine, contrary to what Dolvak posted.

Annitias

Minister of Propaganda
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Oct 5, 2014
RSI Handle
Annitias
Reddit works fairly well overall.

I use it for H1Z1 and my MMO addiction as well as an easy way to absorb info quick.

UnderSc0re

Space Marshal
Mar 17, 2015
RSI Handle
UnderSc0re
I was a big Digg user in college and eventually switched to Reddit for all news. I tend to mostly use it for show news, certain games, and other specific categories these days though. I'm not trying to be a conversation starter on there and comment rarely. When I do it's normally a beginner suggestion post that is similar to 100 other posts. Lurkers gonna lurk.

Last edited:
Forgot your password?