Mass Effect: Andromeda $5 on Origin, Im taking the plunge!

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I think like almost everybody else on the internet, I skipped this game due the the relentless criticism about terrible facial animations.

I was looking at my Anthem pre-order to see if there is anything new coming up on Jan as far as alpha or beta tests, and I noticed Mass Effect: Andromeda hiding in the corner.

I clicked through and to my surprise it is selling for $5!

I do not recall all the reasons beyond some wonky facial animations that people were crying about, but for $5 I will definitely give this a shot!

I payed, I got the deluxe upgrade for $6 total which came with some armor and weapons, downloaded, installed and ran the game.

Im 4hrs in as of this morning and Ill be completely honest, I have to go back to youtube to see what it was that people were complaining about because I have not seen a single issue yet!

I think they fixed the worst problems and perhaps I have not hit the bad parts in my gameplay, but the faces look fine and the game is playing smooth.

Im going to play through the entire game this week and get back to you with a full report. I am curious to see if Bioware was able to fix all the problems, albeit a little too late because the game is all but forgotten at this stage.

CaptainZapps

Commander
Jan 4, 2019
RSI Handle
CaptainZapps
Looking forward to hearing the report! The facial animations never really bothered me - sure they weren't perfect, but I don't recall anything about poor game play etc! Sure can't go wrong with a deluxe package for 6 buckaroos! :)

Reactions: Scape and Deroth

Wolfy

Space Kitty
Donor
Apr 27, 2017
RSI Handle
WolfytheWarlock
My big issue with the game is a lackluster story, a feeling of no progression no matter how many side quests and main storylines are completed other than seeing a fully functioning outpost suddenly appear out of nowhere, rather than the slow building and expansion of areas in previous ME titles, and the rather sparse planets. That said, the combat is a fantastic upgrade over the former games with a feeling of mobility that was experimented with ME:3 but never fully realized and it's worth playing for that alone. Play on the harder difficulty to really get the full feeling of it though, if you play on lower ones you just blow through the enemies. That said, you will run into bosses that are nigh impossible to kill on higher difficulties so you many need to adjust for those moments to avoid 15 minute bullet sponge bullshit.

Reactions: Scape and stockish

Ganji

Admiral
May 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Ganjieh
If you like Mass Effect, you will like the game. I don't have problem with what they delivered, I had fun with Andromeda, i played trough it 2 times. I am heartbroken, that they just give up, and will not be making any DLC's or anything for the game, so much wasted potential.
As for the story, I like the plot, that missions to Andromeda was launched before events in Mass Effect 1 even take place. Playing the game I was exited, and was playing trough all the possibilities in my head, but shame the journey was so short and half baked.

Hybus

Space Marshal
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Hybus
The combat is fun, I didn't mind the story, I just thought it wasn't quite up to Bioware standards. Short explanation I believe is, they tried to squeeze it out to fast on the heels of the ME3 controversy in an effort to salvage the universe and it showed.

Hybus

Space Marshal
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Hybus
As for the story, I like the plot, that missions to Andromeda was launched before events in Mass Effect 1 even take plac
I believe it takes place after 2, but before 3, so those guys narrowly missed the reapers wiping out most of the galaxy.

Reactions: CaptainZapps

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
It’s likely to leave you feeling a little underwhelmed. There are some fun mechanics and good interpersonal stories, but it’s wider than it is deep.

Reactions: CaptainZapps

Ganji

Admiral
May 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Ganjieh
I believe it takes place after 2, but before 3, so those guys narrowly missed the reapers wiping out most of the galaxy.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI4pPD0QxC0

she says in the video that she's recording this in 2182(around 2:00 if you want to hear it) and the first game happens in 2183, the second in 2185, and the third in 2186. So that means it was a year before she met Shepard.

Also found this
Your new character Ryder will leave the Milky Way galaxy on their 600-year journey to Andromeda in 2185.

Wolfy

Space Kitty
Donor
Apr 27, 2017
RSI Handle
WolfytheWarlock
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI4pPD0QxC0

she says in the video that she's recording this in 2182(around 2:00 if you want to hear it) and the first game happens in 2183, the second in 2185, and the third in 2186. So that means it was a year before she met Shepard.
They leave inbetween the end of the game and the Arrival DLC if I recall. So right after the destruction of the Collector Base but before the Arrival Event and ME:3

Reactions: Ganji

Injustice

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Injustice4
Played it, loved it. Not as much as the original trilogy, but still believe it was a good purchase.

Hybus

Space Marshal
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Hybus
I do not recall all the reasons beyond some wonky facial animations that people were crying about, but for $5 I will definitely give this a shot!
If you are looking for something else cheap and dirty on there, Star wars battlefront 2, the single player is a good time and totally worth the 5 bucks

Reactions: stockish
Forgot your password?